Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Dec 2012, 04:12 (Ref:3178562)   #1
Caterhamf1
Rookie

Caterhamf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoughts on NZ Honda Cup

Hi guys, I am new here, and this is my first post...

Just out of interest, what are your thoughts on Honda Cup, they have supported Supertourers from time to time. Although they may not be V8's, they have huge fields (I think it was 28 at Puke), close, clean racing, a few young guys. All you could ask for really. What do you guys think?
Old 14 Dec 2012, 04:49 (Ref:3178572)   #2
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The races i've seen have been very enjoyable and the standard of cars and drivers are pretty good for a budget-conscious series.

Still makes me laugh though when you see the older CRX's and Civics ploughing through the field. I always liked those older Hondas as they were light, and had a fantastic chassis and steering feel. Also that lovely induction bark that you would get from the Honda engines in cool too.

I also believe that as a supporting series to the ST's it fits in quite nicely as these are cars that are easily recognisable, and many people have owned them now or in the past, so its something the punters can relate too. And its also something that sits nicely in the mix of a top tier V8 class and the balls out central muscle cars and V8CC

It also provides a good platform for those wanting to get into a racing series, same goes for the BMW E30 class as well. And IMO, the more people out there enjoying the sport in a sensible controlled manner (i.e. on a track and not the public roads) is always going to be a good thing.

Thats just my thoughts anyway
Old 16 Dec 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3179235)   #3
Old_Bob
Rookie

New Zealand
Southland - ex N.I.B
Old_Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterhamf1 View Post
Hi guys, I am new here, and this is my first post...

Just out of interest, what are your thoughts on Honda Cup, they have supported Supertourers from time to time. Although they may not be V8's, they have huge fields (I think it was 28 at Puke), close, clean racing, a few young guys. All you could ask for really. What do you guys think?

I think it's great... Real racing.
Looks like a series where drivers of all ages can hone their skills against large fields of similar cars - WITHOUT THE USUAL BORING ONE MODEL, ONE SPEC, PROCESSION...
Large egos' don't seem to fit in, and the series seems free to enjoy any track in the country without the buls##t politics & whims of the 'wish I was as rich as I make out crowd' that will make any excuse not to cross the ditch to compete...
If I was advising anyone on a car-build to enjoy their motorsport over the next few years... This is it..

http://www.hondacup.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1055

Last edited by Old_Bob; 16 Dec 2012 at 19:14. Reason: spelling
Old 16 Dec 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3179238)   #4
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoy the Honda Cup too - largely for the same reasons as everyone else. Great racing, lots of variety, a lot of well-prepared cars, etc. If I were a young driver starting out scouting the different tin-top categories for a starting point, I'd find it difficult to find anything better than Honda Cup.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3180627)   #5
Club racer
Racer

Club racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
I enjoy the Honda Cup too - largely for the same reasons as everyone else. Great racing, lots of variety, a lot of well-prepared cars, etc. If I were a young driver starting out scouting the different tin-top categories for a starting point, I'd find it difficult to find anything better than Honda Cup.

What he said.

Always worth a trip to see the cars when they are on with SuperTourers. You won't find more enthusiasm amongst the drivers.