Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Apr 2014, 10:28 (Ref:3391019)   #101
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
And don't get me wrong, I think the effort and passion she's put in is awesome..... It's just not a "business" in a classic ROI kind of way.
Isn't it?

Do you not think Perkins Engineering or Triple 8 Race Engineering turn a profit?
Old 11 Apr 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3391073)   #102
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perkins and 888 turn a handsome profit because they make first class products. One could argue that racing is a sideline for them, almost as a way of advertising their wares to demonstrate to their potential customers how well they work. Erebus don't make anything, they are only a race team, so not a business in the classic ROI kind of way, as Chappelli says.

I think half of Betty's sponsorship woes are down to her, her image, and how she presents herself. I mean what kind of company is going to shell out a cool million + when the public figurehead appears on TV and trackside in her "mowing the lawn" clothes, is covered in tattoos, and has a different hair colour every time you turn around? That's before she's even opened her mouth, and we all know that she's always "speechless" because that's all she ever says. That is just not the appearance and commentary that a million dollar sponsor is looking to associate themselves with. The way she presents herself and interviews, I also think she comes off as the poor little rich girl, and people don't tend to take a liking to people that have everything handed to them on a silver plate / tall poppy syndrome, let alone throw millions more at them.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3391244)   #103
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mixer;3391019]Isn't it?

Do you not think Perkins Engineering or Triple 8 Race Engineering turn a profit?[/]
Talking specifically about Erebus.... Although the juxtaposition between the first few years of Erebus and Triple 8 sum things up fairly well.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3391303)   #104
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Errr...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Apr 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3391316)   #105
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe Will needs to hit a rock, Betty would cry on TV I am sure.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 01:30 (Ref:3391340)   #106
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post

I think half of Betty's sponsorship woes are down to her, her image, and how she presents herself. I mean what kind of company is going to shell out a cool million + when the public figurehead appears on TV and trackside in her "mowing the lawn" clothes, is covered in tattoos, and has a different hair colour every time you turn around? That's before she's even opened her mouth, and we all know that she's always "speechless" because that's all she ever says. That is just not the appearance and commentary that a million dollar sponsor is looking to associate themselves with. The way she presents herself and interviews, I also think she comes off as the poor little rich girl, and people don't tend to take a liking to people that have everything handed to them on a silver plate / tall poppy syndrome, let alone throw millions more at them.

IMO, V8Supercar's need true character's such as Betty, and despite your comments about her being undesirable in terms of the image she portray's, sponsorship wont be a problem if her money can eventually end up with the team winning Championships or even consistently being on the top steps of the podium.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 02:10 (Ref:3391350)   #107
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Maybe Will needs to hit a rock, Betty would cry on TV I am sure.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3391441)   #108
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not Australian so I don't know if it's different there, but in this day and age I don't think the tattoos and hair would get in the way of too much. Of course there are sponsors that don't want anything to do with that, but there are others that won't care or might see it as something that attracts more attention.

To me the bigger problem is that she is too much the focal point. It isn't "Erebus Racing, and sometimes their quirky owner, Betty" it's "that character Betty and her racing team" if that makes any sense.

I know if I was looking to sponsor a team, I wouldn't look at them with any confidence that my product would get better ROI there than anywhere else on pitlane, where teams are sure to drink their energy drinks in front of the cameras, put on their branded hats, make little "the boys will have to bust out the (insert tool name here) tools tonight, we got some work to do!" type mentions, or even rename their teams to include their title sponsor. I would doubt that it could ever become "Erebus Racing with Accident's company" instead of "that crazy Betty and her racing team that also has some stickers on their cars now."
Old 13 Apr 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3391858)   #109
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
IMO, V8Supercar's need true character's such as Betty, and despite your comments about her being undesirable in terms of the image she portray's, sponsorship wont be a problem if her money can eventually end up with the team winning Championships or even consistently being on the top steps of the podium.
No doubt about it that V8SC's need character's, but I just feel she's not going about it the right way, if there is such a thing as the right way? And yes, naturally she will pick up sponsorship if they start performing, because everyone wants to be associated with a winner.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3391860)   #110
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
I'm not Australian so I don't know if it's different there, but in this day and age I don't think the tattoos and hair would get in the way of too much. Of course there are sponsors that don't want anything to do with that, but there are others that won't care or might see it as something that attracts more attention.

To me the bigger problem is that she is too much the focal point. It isn't "Erebus Racing, and sometimes their quirky owner, Betty" it's "that character Betty and her racing team" if that makes any sense.

I know if I was looking to sponsor a team, I wouldn't look at them with any confidence that my product would get better ROI there than anywhere else on pitlane, where teams are sure to drink their energy drinks in front of the cameras, put on their branded hats, make little "the boys will have to bust out the (insert tool name here) tools tonight, we got some work to do!" type mentions, or even rename their teams to include their title sponsor. I would doubt that it could ever become "Erebus Racing with Accident's company" instead of "that crazy Betty and her racing team that also has some stickers on their cars now."
I'm not Australian either, but that's got nothing to do with it for me. while not being elitist, I just wouldn't want to lower my business down to the "bogan" look ( for want of a better term ). Might as well get a mullet too
Old 14 Apr 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3392528)   #111
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not Australian either, but that's got nothing to do with it for me. while not being elitist, I just wouldn't want to lower my business down to the "bogan" look ( for want of a better term ). Might as well get a mullet too
and that's, more than likely why Mercedes aren't ready to throw their weight behind the Erebus V8SC team. As much as I like Betty, she isn't exactly what they and other prospective backers want as the face of their promotional deals.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 06:17 (Ref:3393139)   #112
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting article in this week's AA... suggesting that Erebus is not 'allowed' (presumably by MBAuP) to run any Mercedes Benz branding on the car other than the grille badge, and the model designation on the rear...

From the tone of the article, it seems that Erebus isnt even getting a body panel or loan car deal out of MBAuP... although talks up its relationship with the dealer body.

Mercedes Benz Dealer Team perhaps?
Old 16 Apr 2014, 06:26 (Ref:3393140)   #113
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mercedes Benz Dealer Team perhaps?
Never happen.

Lets not forget Holden wanted to go racing but was banned by HQ from any racing activities. This was just an end-run around that.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3393191)   #114
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Never happen.

Lets not forget Holden wanted to go racing but was banned by HQ from any racing activities. This was just an end-run around that.
Might happen.

Will never happen with Erebus.

MBAU and AMG dealers are not against being in V8s, but definitely don't want to be represented by Betty.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:54 (Ref:3393196)   #115
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Maybe the article was worded oddly, but to me, there is a part in there about manufacturers joining the series, and it almost seemed that Erebus might be open to a brand switch if the right opportunity presented itself...

Then 888 can represent MBAUP
Old 16 Apr 2014, 09:33 (Ref:3393214)   #116
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Might happen.

Will never happen with Erebus.

MBAU and AMG dealers are not against being in V8s, but definitely don't want to be represented by Betty.
Too true. If 888 were to walk in MB Australia HQ and ask for some support etc, I'd bet the house that MB would be all over them like a cheap suit. Roland Dane ( as much as I don't like him, I do respect him ) is professional, presentable, and exactly what a premier brand would be looking for to represent them.

As far as that goes, everyone runs down the Kelly boys too, but every single time they are on tele, they are neatly presented, hair done etc, rather than looking like they've just crawled out from under a hedge after a hard night on the town, and they give well spoken and insightful interviews. Obviously Nissan appreciate the image that KR present, and good on both sides for getting together.

Betty would be better sitting out the back and letting someone else be the "figurehead" for the team, at least publicly anyway.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:28 (Ref:3393265)   #117
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting times ahead, indeed.

Erebus didn't do a whole lot for the three naming rights sponsors they had last year. Surely this is what a potential backer would look into before handing over the cheques.

The crude renderings and intermittant branding on the cars at Winton can't be doing much for the Tapout relationship either.

The Erebus/MB relationship would have to be the most unusual tie-up I've ever seen. A lot of leveraging to try and force one particular manufacturer to get involved has ocurred. While it's nice to think that remaining loyal to a brand that she has an interest in at dealership level, which in turn lead them down the path of MB customer programs out of Germany for their F3 and GT3 campaigns, would lead to an all-in V8SC effort, simply hasn't transpired.

The cars over time have had all sorts of MB signage on them, but nothing from the mob that brings the passenger cars in. They simply don't want to know about it. After their race win at Winton, MBAU's Facebook page lit up with pleas from fans, insisting they get involved. No responses were forthcoming.

MBAU just don't want to get on board with Erebus, full stop. I totally agree with what has been said about Betty slipping quietly into the shadows. As much as I enjoy her ramblings on Facebook, she does very little for the team outside of her financial imput. The whole thing unfortunately looks like a bit of a novelty.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:37 (Ref:3393269)   #118
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Too true. If 888 were to walk in MB Australia HQ and ask for some support etc, I'd bet the house that MB would be all over them like a cheap suit. Roland Dane ( as much as I don't like him, I do respect him ) is professional, presentable, and exactly what a premier brand would be looking for to represent them.

As far as that goes, everyone runs down the Kelly boys too, but every single time they are on tele, they are neatly presented, hair done etc, rather than looking like they've just crawled out from under a hedge after a hard night on the town, and they give well spoken and insightful interviews. Obviously Nissan appreciate the image that KR present, and good on both sides for getting together.

Betty would be better sitting out the back and letting someone else be the "figurehead" for the team, at least publicly anyway.
Spot-on.

Triple Eight have the runs on the board from every angle. Erebus does not (SBR are now a distant memory).

Triple Eight also have a global sponsor with a bottomless pit of marketing money. Sponsors attract more sponsors.

The Kellys have done a surprisingly good job of engaging their fans with the numerous marketing campaigns they've rolled out alongside their sponsors. They've well and truely entrenched themselves into the Nismo family with all their on-track activities (The speed comparion, B12H, Dubai 24H, international driver tests, etc).

While I'm not a fan of theirs, I do sit up and take notice of what they're up to. Even the clip from the 'Dome is testament to this. Conceptually, nothing flash; do a couple of laps of the 'Dome in arty-farty fashion. The result? Everybody who knows something about Nissan, V8SC, and cars in general, has probably watched it.

How to gain a sponsor and please them 101.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3393271)   #119
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Interesting times ahead, indeed.

Erebus didn't do a whole lot for the three naming rights sponsors they had last year. Surely this is what a potential backer would look into before handing over the cheques.

The crude renderings and intermittant branding on the cars at Winton can't be doing much for the Tapout relationship either.

The Erebus/MB relationship would have to be the most unusual tie-up I've ever seen. A lot of leveraging to try and force one particular manufacturer to get involved has ocurred. While it's nice to think that remaining loyal to a brand that she has an interest in at dealership level, which in turn lead them down the path of MB customer programs out of Germany for their F3 and GT3 campaigns, would lead to an all-in V8SC effort, simply hasn't transpired.

The cars over time have had all sorts of MB signage on them, but nothing from the mob that brings the passenger cars in. They simply don't want to know about it. After their race win at Winton, MBAU's Facebook page lit up with pleas from fans, insisting they get involved. No responses were forthcoming.

MBAU just don't want to get on board with Erebus, full stop. I totally agree with what has been said about Betty slipping quietly into the shadows. As much as I enjoy her ramblings on Facebook, she does very little for the team outside of her financial imput. The whole thing unfortunately looks like a bit of a novelty.
Just to make it clear though, the responsibility for the commercial activities and strategy of the Erebus team is in the hands of Mr Maddison and Mrs Klimenko while Mr Stone concentrated on car engineering activities.

Its sad to see long time commercial partners like SP Tools and Irwin Tools leave the team, it surely has to be a reflection on the powers that be in charge of commercial activities.

Its easy to say that you wont compromise on the price of a sponsorship deal, a rotation of small brands, and a changing look every round....

It just looks craap! Even PWR managed to slap a trading name on the side even though their cars were funded by family interests

A question then.. would a sponsor be more inclined to back Volvo GRM or Erebus?
Old 16 Apr 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3393282)   #120
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Even PWR managed to slap a trading name on the side even though their cars were funded by family interests

A question then.. would a sponsor be more inclined to back Volvo GRM or Erebus?
As did the D'Alberto family to an extent.

Volvo, obviously.

VCA are giving their V8SC involvement some bloody good mileage in the media these days. Even today, I spotted a large billboard on the M2 with one of the GRM-built machines on it, and I heard a Volvo radio ad with references to their V8SCs as well.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3393293)   #121
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It just looks craap! Even PWR managed to slap a trading name on the side even though their cars were funded by family interests
Says alot about the Erebus lack of marketing brainstrust, that their winning car didn't even have Erebus written over the blank space.

Erebus have done well with the positive PR they generate with the GT's and you would have thought that would gain the them more brownie points with Merc
Old 16 Apr 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3393342)   #122
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mods, maybe this Erebus conversation could be split off into its own thread.

Lack of major sponsors for a team in its early stages isn't new.

It could simply be down to their sponsorship package, its creativity, its engagement and activation potential, or its value proposition. A well presented package will value the sticker on the side of the car as one of the lower return modules of the package. There are bigger rewards for sponsors if the package is structured well beyond car signage.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 03:39 (Ref:3393661)   #123
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
I wouldn't have thought you describing one of the most well established motorsport organizations in Australia as being in its "early stages".... unless you're writing off the premium the owner paid for SBR compared to buying some REC's and a couple of Chassis.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 04:03 (Ref:3393670)   #124
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if an issue is that Betty doesn't want to drop the "Erebus" name. I remember when they first came on the scene and being here in New Zealand, my friends and I had a bit of a struggle to even find out what it was. I had assumed it was a sponsor, but after spending a while on google, we found that wasn't the case.

If a major sponsor came in, would it be "Sponsors Name Erebus Racing AMG" ?

I agree with comments above that Betty should probably take a step back from being such a front person. If some smart marketing people became involved I'm sure a big sponsor and the maufacturer could be made to come on board. Just look at Valvoline Racing GRM and Volvo. The 2 go hand in hand, people already know them more than Erebus and by all accounts, and most importantly, it looks like they are actually selling more product than without the sponsorship deal.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 04:57 (Ref:3393678)   #125
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post

It could simply be down to their sponsorship package, its creativity, its engagement and activation potential, or its value proposition. A well presented package will value the sticker on the side of the car as one of the lower return modules of the package. There are bigger rewards for sponsors if the package is structured well beyond car signage.
They had all three cars plastered with big name major sponsors in their first year ( Irwin, SP, HHA ) but even with all the hype and such of being a "new team" ( not really because it was a team owner change ), and the hype of bringing a new car to the grid, they couldn't capitalise on that enough for any of the major sponsors to come back this year. I'd be asking Mr Maddison for a "please explain", because I can understand one sponsor not returning because that may be down to their particular business etc etc, but all 3 walking?