Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Jun 2014, 15:36 (Ref:3414822)   #1
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunlop tyres

Does anyone know where I could get some Dunlop Ls supplied and fitted in the London area ? Don't fancy going to Daventry but may have to !

thanks

Mark
Old 3 Jun 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3414845)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
can't you buy the tyres and befriend a local fitter ?

I get them posted and a mate locaslly lets me use his tyre machine.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3414861)   #3
Teddington Ted
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
can't you buy the tyres and befriend a local fitter ?

I get them posted and a mate locaslly lets me use his tyre machine.
Yes, that's what I've done before and will probably do so again. I'm really being a cheapskate and looking for free fitting !
Old 3 Jun 2014, 22:36 (Ref:3415007)   #4
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make sure your next race meeting is at a meeting where the HP guys are in attendence. Order in advance, pay at the circuit - job done.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 09:01 (Ref:3415122)   #5
Teddington Ted
Racer

So I guess that a "no" then !
Old 4 Jun 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3415175)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddington Ted View Post
So I guess that a "no" then !
Yes!

You had me looking for a calendar of events that HP are supporting this year in case that would help, but I can't find one! Avon / BMTR put one on their website, which is very useful- but not for Dunlops.....

Old 4 Jun 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3415176)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
any tyre dealer can get them and fit them, if you ask nicely, but they'll buy them from HP ir VTS and charge on top . . . . I tried very hard to get round the back door on the back of a 45k tyre order a few years ago. no chance, its a closed shop.

as has been said many times before, its high time another player came out with an acceptable historic tyre, AVON/Goodyear/MIchelin, anyone . . . it must be a sizeable market now.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:08 (Ref:3415197)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About 10/12 years ago the Goodyear Bluestreak tyre was available (maybe in Germany, but not UK?). It's an historic treaded pattern tyre but possibly from the 1967-72 era. I agree with Joe that there should be another player in the market. Surely there is enough historic racing around now to attract another manufacturer.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3415217)   #9
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GoodYear Bluestreak is allowed in App.K in some categories. Then it depends on the race series whether they are allowed in that series. I have bought the GoodYear tyres in the past from the USA. Some sizes can be bought from GoodYear Luxembourg, but not all (on the McLaren I can only get the front tyres from Luxembourg, the rear tyres are not "EEC" approved...). They are extremely expensive by the time you have bought them, shipped them from the USA and paid customs duty (USD. 1800, plus duty, for a set from Sasco Sports) .... The special agreements between the FIA and Dunlop result in a lot of support from the manufacturer, who supplies all sizes, even those that are probably not very rewarding for them. So if you want more choice you may end up having to pay even more than now, not less.
Marcus
PS. they were worth 4" a lap at Brands GP!
Old 4 Jun 2014, 13:45 (Ref:3415221)   #10
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
App.K 8.2.4
Cars of Periods G1, G2 and GR may use racing tyres from the
Dunlop Vintage, «L» and «M» section in 204 compound or in 404
compound if the race is declared wet and Post Historic ranges
in 484 compound, or Goodyear «Blue Streak» racing tyres, or
Avon slicks hand cut to the «Historic All-weather» pattern. T, CT,
GT, GTS and GTP cars may also use tyres marked with «E»
or «DOT» approval in accordance with the appropriate standard
of the country in which the Competition is taking place with a
minimum external diameter as set out in Article 8.4.2.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3415252)   #11
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Bernie Chodosh imported a load of Blue Streaks last year -? May be worth calling him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
GoodYear Bluestreak is allowed in App.K in some categories. Then it depends on the race series whether they are allowed in that series. I have bought the GoodYear tyres in the past from the USA. Some sizes can be bought from GoodYear Luxembourg, but not all (on the McLaren I can only get the front tyres from Luxembourg, the rear tyres are not "EEC" approved...). They are extremely expensive by the time you have bought them, shipped them from the USA and paid customs duty (USD. 1800, plus duty, for a set from Sasco Sports) .... The special agreements between the FIA and Dunlop result in a lot of support from the manufacturer, who supplies all sizes, even those that are probably not very rewarding for them. So if you want more choice you may end up having to pay even more than now, not less.
Marcus
PS. they were worth 4" a lap at Brands GP!
Old 20 Jun 2014, 09:46 (Ref:3424137)   #12
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't want to start a new thread but I don't suppose anyone has a used 600M15 tyre that is taking up space - just need to check clearance, will not be used on track. (2 would be even better!!) Cheers
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang