Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Jul 2019, 21:00 (Ref:3920118)   #301
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The SLR was flying.Great seeing it through last corner.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 21:48 (Ref:3920128)   #302
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one, here's my vid from Saturdays action if anyone interested. Can't believe that's the Classic weekend done for another year.

https://youtu.be/NxU_Y6wBy2w
Old 29 Jul 2019, 06:17 (Ref:3920183)   #303
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Cap the number of cars ? Err, no.Apart from Goodwood , this is the only event of its type where big , no huge , grids are the norm. Silverstone has the space - it just needs some creativity in deciding what goes where.

I agree display laps by supercars and car clubs just consume time and whilst a display lap by Sir JYS was just fine , I am not remotely interested in Paganis, XJ220s or badass Skylines trundling round . And as for MX5s - I own one but I don't feel the need to share that fact with an adoring public .

Weather - whatever . It was forecast, I wore Goretex etc and was just fine. Who are the folk who ignore weather forecast (and Met Office 3 day one is normally very good) and sit in a grandstand in shorts and T shirt , shaking with cold ? It's a WW2 aerodrome , over 500feet up in Northants - do folk think it's Cannes?

Racing great - and unlike some I thought the ..umm .. vibe was great . Highlights ? F2 - yes yes yes, stunning spectacle. Le Monstre - wow - the owner told me he and his missus ha driven it there on Thursday - respect , can you imagine that on the M1 ?

Ferrari 1512 - I have heard scores, no hundreds, of Ferrari V and flat 12s since I heard my first , here at Silverstone , in 1971 . The little jewel of a 1.5 V12 may be one of my new favourites - and I love the fact that half the team look like extras on The Sopranos .

Viewing ? Favourites (at comfortably the worst race circuit in the UK ) are Village and Vale, where there is overtaking a plenty and at least the cars are in the same time zone as you are. Wellington Straight is nice to see and hear LMP cars at big speed .
Old 29 Jul 2019, 06:59 (Ref:3920187)   #304
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well stocked with hot pies no doubt.
Oi! I've warned you before about this. Don't forget I'm in Luton next week, Mrs Viv might come with me so that she can 'explain' to you about her home baking business...
Old 29 Jul 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3920195)   #305
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back now in sunny and warm Wiltshire

Great 4 days, hot, cold, wet, breezy, the racing outweighed all the weather Sillystone could throw at us.

Woodlands campsite was good as usual. The security driving into the circuit, via the main gate, each day was friendly and organised. Car clubs were signposted well for most drivers. Food and drink outlets were OK if a little pricey.
Music sound system was rubbish and the bands were average at best.

The garages and paddocks were excellent this year. Very friendly for the most part and many extremely helpful people.
Saw little track action on Friday as we wandered the paddocks, village shops and some car clubs. Spent most of Saturday and Sunday watching the racing, both on are usual terrace or in one of the many grandstands.

Best races for me were the F2, second F1 race and the into the night Endurance.
Loved the big and varied grids in several other races and the Minis were a great way to finish off the weekend. Plenty of Macca wins was a bonus.

Took too many photos, even though I tried to ration my time between watching and shooting, will go through them during the week and post a few.

Fantastic value for the event, £49.50 for a three day early bird pass with a car club. It has overtaken Goodwood as our highlight event of the year.
Bring on 2020.

Back at Sillystone on Saturday for the BDC meet
Old 29 Jul 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3920234)   #306
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good to hear you enjoyed it. Down in the wing we felt a bit isolated. That said, had lots of folks asking questions about the car. All were clearly knowledgeable if not specifically about the MG.

Already talked about the race and yes, generally the circuit staff were pleasant and helpful. Just looked at my vbox results and on my fastest lap I was held up by a GT350. It was a good demonstration of how cars handled differently. I went through Abbey with just a lift in top, he braked and then waited for the apex before hitting the gas. Hence I had to lift again. Possibly another second lost there but I was still 4secs faster than my qualifying time. Still need to find four more though
Old 29 Jul 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3920260)   #307
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know when it will be shown on the box, thoroughly enjoyed the weekend despite having to bale the car out on the way to the circuit on Sunday morning...........
Old 29 Jul 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3920263)   #308
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
A quick update on my mate & his Mustang. He has bought a new gearbox this afternoon but is still claiming 'there's lots more to do' but hopefully he'll stop making excuses & get the 'things' done and will be there for the weekend.
Thanks again for all your helpful recommendations.
How did the race go for him?

Any news of the Mustang and Cortina involved in the Pre 66 1st lap shunt. Cortina looked nasty.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 17:45 (Ref:3920272)   #309
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone have any info on what the problem was with the M6GT on the last lap of the Masters Sportscar race?.........
Old 29 Jul 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3920281)   #310
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Any news of the Mustang and Cortina involved in the Pre 66 1st lap shunt. Cortina looked nasty.
No, but if it was a white Mustang I saw one on the back of a flatbed with the rear right corner completely crushed in.... Worst damage though appeared to be to a Sports 2000, that was unrecognisable as such after, except for the Pinto engine.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3920291)   #311
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman24 View Post
Anyone have any info on what the problem was with the M6GT on the last lap of the Masters Sportscar race?.........
Commentary suggested a puncture - I can't confirm though.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3920292)   #312
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums

First albums loaded for the Masters Endurance races featuring the Bentley Speed 8, the gorgeous Ferrari 550 and lots, lots more.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3920296)   #313
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Any connection to the notes on the result sheets?

https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=H.../19305666t.pdf

777 and 51?
Old 29 Jul 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3920310)   #314
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Cortina was a write off after being attacked by an Alfa later in the race. However I suggested the driver speaks to Willy Poole who may be able to rescue it.

That race was somewhat manic.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 21:06 (Ref:3920311)   #315
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some shots from our visit to the Wing on Friday morning:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0020.jpg   IMG_0046.jpg   IMG_0101.jpg  

IMG_0140.jpg   IMG_0146.jpg   IMG_0172.jpg  

Old 29 Jul 2019, 21:11 (Ref:3920312)   #316
brands
Veteran

and a few from the national paddock. A gallery from Friday is online here: https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p937199709
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0198.jpg   IMG_0225.jpg   IMG_0245.jpg  

IMG_0261.jpg   IMG_0298.jpg   IMG_0312.jpg  

Old 30 Jul 2019, 05:11 (Ref:3920341)   #317
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the pics, brands. I see at least one coupé Mike H and I did appreciate… Good catch.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 06:47 (Ref:3920348)   #318
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Sadly Will, that was my mate in the Mustang...
He is already planning the rebuild however, luckily bodywork is his thing.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 06:59 (Ref:3920349)   #319
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the pics Brands and dwh!

One thing that can spoil an event as big as the Classic is Security- too much, not enough, rude staff, poorly briefed staff...… Several years ago the then contracted company were complete rubbish, but the organiser learned and since then things have improved every year. The staff last weekend were excellent, standing out night and day in all weathers, quite literally, and happy to chat, share a joke or help. As an example, when a (Benelux country registered) Ranger with no valid pass was being left everywhere in the National paddock, after it eventually settled (so close alongside my rig we couldn't open the side door), the nearest gate sentry immediately called for it to be towed. Much to his and our disappointment, the driver came back before the wagon could load it, but the selfish individual went away with a flea in their ear.....
Old 30 Jul 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3920351)   #320
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a stand holder point of view I've always found the security staff excellent.

My last time there with a stand was an absolute wash out. By lunchtime on Sunday people were packing up. The security staff allowed vehicles on the inside at Copse so we packed up and left early. And you know what, despite this being against all the elf'n'safety rules in the manual everyone was sensible, no one got hurt and we all left in good order, good humour and good time. Common sense and a light touch always works!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 30 Jul 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3920352)   #321
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sadly Will, that was my mate in the Mustang...
He is already planning the rebuild however, luckily bodywork is his thing.
Oh.Glad he's alright as it was quite the hit.

Look forward to seeing it back out.Hope the rebuild goes well.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 07:53 (Ref:3920353)   #322
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks for the pics Brands and dwh!

One thing that can spoil an event as big as the Classic is Security- too much, not enough, rude staff, poorly briefed staff...… Several years ago the then contracted company were complete rubbish, but the organiser learned and since then things have improved every year. The staff last weekend were excellent, standing out night and day in all weathers, quite literally, and happy to chat, share a joke or help. As an example, when a (Benelux country registered) Ranger with no valid pass was being left everywhere in the National paddock, after it eventually settled (so close alongside my rig we couldn't open the side door), the nearest gate sentry immediately called for it to be towed. Much to his and our disappointment, the driver came back before the wagon could load it, but the selfish individual went away with a flea in their ear.....
Agreed all round except for one real downer. The stands at Luffield were locked until 8.30 on Sunday leaving a very frustrated group standing in the pouring rain. A very pleasant security guy unlocked the gates and then made us wait another five minutes until his control gave clearance. Why the stands are not opened at 7.30 when the gates open was not explained. Otherwise the staff were wonderful
Old 30 Jul 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3920389)   #323
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Agreed all round except for one real downer. The stands at Luffield were locked until 8.30 on Sunday leaving a very frustrated group standing in the pouring rain. A very pleasant security guy unlocked the gates and then made us wait another five minutes until his control gave clearance. Why the stands are not opened at 7.30 when the gates open was not explained. Otherwise the staff were wonderful
Got to be careful not to confuse the contracted security staff with circuit or organiser’s staff. I’m sure the first mentioned aren’t responsible for deciding when stands should open.....
Old 30 Jul 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3920401)   #324
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Got to be careful not to confuse the contracted security staff with circuit or organiser’s staff. I’m sure the first mentioned aren’t responsible for deciding when stands should open.....

Not at the Classic, I know, but when my boys and went to the GP a couple of years ago, we took the full weekend package which entitled us to grandstand access on the Friday. However, on the Saturday after qualifying had finished, pretty well all the grandstands emptied, so we asked the security/staff on duty at one of the stands if we could go in to watch the GP2 and 3 racing. It was only after some discussion and we had pointed out that the grandstand currently had only about half a dozen people in it that they relented and let us in.

Sometimes these guys could use a bit of initiative.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 16:31 (Ref:3920419)   #325
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Every year the Classic folk ask me for my customer feedback . Every year I say the same - bin the celebrity 'race ' (and they have ) , let's have a FF1600 race (and they did in 2017 was it ? But more please ) and - especially - open the grandstands up track towards Farm from Village . The Village covered grandstand is open (good) but often is very busy , shoulder to shoulder stuff . I hope they read this and act accordingly . I can't see it'll cost anything apart from the extra couple of security staff needed .

Village is in the same post code as the track , unusually for Silverstone , and provides lots of overtaking.

That apart , I love the event. Security staff I find universally helpful , food choice good, if pricey and races excellent . Fewer car parades though - and more races , or racer demos .