Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 18 Jul 2007, 18:57 (Ref:1966774)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RHR replaces Simmons for Mid-Ohio (?)

I heard that former Champ Car racer Ryan Hunter-Raey will replace Jeff Simmons for the next race at Mid-Ohio. There are rumors and other sources but here is one that gives a list of possible drivers:

Quote:
Jeff Simmons nearly caused a catastrophic accident when he lost control in the pit entry lane on the 188th lap. The Ethanol Council-sponsored entry shot up the track in Turn 4 into the path of Kosuke Matsuura, who veered to the right in avoidance and lightly brushed the wall. After at least four crashes this season, Simmons has reportedly been on shaky ground recently at Rahal Letterman Racing and the near-miss with Matsuura may be the last straw for Bobby Rahal and general manager Scott Roembke. Several drivers are under consideration, including Patrick Carpentier, Alex Barron, Alex Gurney and Ryan Hunter-Reay.
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/column...ohn&id=2938721
Old 18 Jul 2007, 22:58 (Ref:1966988)   #2
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barron would be a good replacement as he has driven at all the tracks before.

RHR would have to pass his IRL rookie test, but I'm sure he can do that no-sweat.

Gurney's oval experience consists of 8 starts in Atlantics with the most recent coming in June of 2002. He didn't particularly show much in terms of oval talent in those 8 starts either. I would see him as a road-course-only temporary solution.

Ethanol wants an American in the car, that pretty much precludes Carpentier from taking the seat.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 07:39 (Ref:1967164)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
A shame for Jeff Simmons but good news For Ryan if it happens
Old 19 Jul 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1967481)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rahal Letterman Racing made it official...Ryan Hunter-Reay will take over the 17 car effective immediately.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 Jul 2007, 14:50 (Ref:1967525)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was a fan of Ryan in Champ Car, it's a shame he never got a drive again after that disappointing year at Rocketsports? Anyway lets see what he can do. Tim is this for the rest of the season? I guess it would as half of the rest of the races are non oval.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 14:54 (Ref:1967531)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes...He will have the ride for the rest of the season.

BTW...Ryan Hunter-Reay won the 2004 Champ Car race at Milwaukee, so he can drive on ovals...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 Jul 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1967543)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yeah I remember.. Simmons I don't know he just seemed to crash all the time. Everyone was saying how good he would be when he took over from Dana last year. He was leading for a lap or two at Indy due to strategy I remember that was it.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 01:01 (Ref:1967935)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Yes...He will have the ride for the rest of the season.

BTW...Ryan Hunter-Reay won the 2004 Champ Car race at Milwaukee, so he can drive on ovals...
Actually I believe he is better on ovals than roadies.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 01:24 (Ref:1967942)   #9
Rick Raducha R
Rookie

United States
Connecticut
Rick Raducha R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is too bad Chris Simmons...Jeff's brother could not get in that ride. When they where young I always though Chris had the best nut's in the house to race. He was not just a driver..he was a racer. Jeff is only a racer.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 00:38 (Ref:1968756)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Raducha R
It is too bad Chris Simmons...Jeff's brother could not get in that ride. When they where young I always though Chris had the best nut's in the house to race. He was not just a driver..he was a racer. Jeff is only a racer.
Yup, I remember way back in 1993 or so when I was first getting interested in racing and Chris was running FF2000. I think he did some indy lights at some point and then I know he engineered for Jeff at one point but I don't know what happened to him otherwise.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 01:07 (Ref:1968767)   #11
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
Chris Simmons hasn't driven an open wheel car since 1998 and is probably retired. I haven't seen his name anywhere in the last 3 years.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1971075)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Nice to see RHR "debut" with a 7th place finish.

He is a terrific young man and I hope this is a permanent return to open wheel for him.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 14:41 (Ref:1971202)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yes Ryan deserves a ride in a open wheel series. He did have that poor last year in CC but I think he can do well in the IRL.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 01:58 (Ref:1971667)   #14
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
I think anyone would've had a bad year in that Rocketsports sled.

I think the fact that he got fired for a pay driver with no experience was very telling that the team had pretty much zero funding.