Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 28 Apr 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2451787)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best Le Mans Campsite...?

I've been wondering which campsite is your personal favourites.

This year will be my 11th Le Mans, and I've camped in numerous places; the best is for me is Maison Blanche, can not be beaten for its atmosphere, and is pretty close to a decent view of the cars coming through spectacularly fast through the Porsche curves.

The worst would have to be the Blue campsite, miles away from EVERYWHERE, dull atmosphere etc.

Sadly, as I'm 14 and taking exams next year, I won't be able to go - but when I will come back, I would love to come back with a bang - Maison Blanche, or is there another camp site hidden away that I don't know about?
Old 28 Apr 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2451831)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Blue isn't so bad. Just across the road from Maison Blanche. It's easy to get from there round the back of the airport and into Arnage and the big Super-U.

Houx is probably the best all round site. Marked plots, electricity, close to the village but not too close to the track that you are deafened.

Beausejour is definitely too far from the action.

Worse site seems to be the one alongside the track between Tertre Rouge and the Bugatti circuit. Mainly because you have the general public wandering past all day.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 21:07 (Ref:2451837)   #3
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great news, I'm camping in Houx this year. I liked Beausejour for its atmosphere, but yeh, its sodding miles away from everywhere.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2452008)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Most campsites have plus and minus points, and all have thier regulars who camp there year after year. Over the last 26 years I have stayed in most of the older sites, but for the last 8 (apart from the classic's) we have always used Tertre Rouge, it suits us easy to get to, within a short walk of the village/ pit straight, 15 mins walk to the carrefore or 5 minutes to the tram stop, good clean showers/toilets ability to be in the campsite and still see the cars, good drainage so never floods and as there are only marked pitches which are not allocated, you choose were to set up.
The security is also the tightest of all the campsites, that explains why they are the most expensive camping tickets and rarely appear on e Bay.

Personally I found Houx very good but you do not pick your spot and it is a fair distance from the track, also it is outside the ticket area. HA is the rowdiest campsite(and incredibly noisey), MB is very flat and the camping is good but parties keep you awake and like all the large camsites the fireworks can cause unfortunate damage to cars/tents etc on thier way down.

Not stayed on the new campsites but in the last few years if it rains they are not very pleasent, but they are large and lively and cheap/available.

Wherever you camp you will enjoy it, and once you have tried several your favourite will then become your regular home from home for one week in June.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2452086)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I happen to like Houx . Clean bogs and showers , water on tap and electricity too . But I have seen some folk with big drainage issues when the rain is heavy .

Close to the track and not too noisey either .
Old 29 Apr 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2452299)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
This year will be my 11th Le Mans......

Sadly, as I'm 14........
So you've been going to Le Mans since a very tender age?
Old 29 Apr 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2452302)   #7
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
So you've been going to Le Mans since a very tender age?
Yes, I have. Thats why its well in truly in my blood. Nothing else comes close to it...
Old 29 Apr 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2452372)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
11th Le Mans and your only 14 ..... thats bloody good going mate !!! I think your dad deserves a clap on the back for that .

Im 42 and it will be my 18th ..... and I thought I was doing well !!!
Old 29 Apr 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2452387)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm in Blue Nord so that's bound to be good this year

Ciao Marco
Old 30 Apr 2009, 07:32 (Ref:2452620)   #10
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Best campsite?

The one where I'll be sleeping!
Old 1 May 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2453695)   #11
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
11th Le Mans and your only 14 ..... thats bloody good going mate !!! I think your dad deserves a clap on the back for that .

Im 42 and it will be my 18th ..... and I thought I was doing well !!!
Well, you are, really, most can't claim 18 at 42!

Still, you'll have the freedom of going in the next couple of years - I can't and I'm sitting our what looks to become a new golden era
Old 1 May 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2453728)   #12
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
I'm in Blue Nord so that's bound to be good this year
I'll be on there for the 2nd year running.
Old 1 May 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2453743)   #13
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blue Sud again this year, I think it's great! I love getting out to Arnage and Mulsanne during the race which is ideal from there, road gets noisy but so what, you don't go to LM to catch up on your beauty sleep after all. Always a laugh sharing a site with the (generally) up-their-own-chuffs Caterham folk as well, last year we nicked the pallets their chemical kahzis came on for the bonfire, all good fun!
Old 1 May 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2453815)   #14
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthe82 View Post
Blue Sud again this year, I think it's great! I love getting out to Arnage and Mulsanne during the race which is ideal from there, road gets noisy but so what, you don't go to LM to catch up on your beauty sleep after all. Always a laugh sharing a site with the (generally) up-their-own-chuffs Caterham folk as well, last year we nicked the pallets their chemical kahzis came on for the bonfire, all good fun!
We've never even attempted doing Arnage/Indy/Mulsanne during the race - whats it like (as in getting there)?
Old 1 May 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2453878)   #15
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We've never even attempted doing Arnage/Indy/Mulsanne during the race - whats it like (as in getting there)?
Dead simple, obviously dependant on the time you choose. Last year we watched the start and first couple of hours or so from the Dunlop Curve/tribunes area, then it was back to the campsite for a barbie, then off to Arnage/Indy for for nightfall, later on back to the start/finish to watch some pit action then walk out as far as Tetre Rouge. By this time we were a bit weary (there were eight of us last year) so went back for a couple of hours kip. Then up again about 3:30am to head out to Mulsanne for the dawn coming up, (on balance and after 12 visits my favourite spot to do this) then back for breakfast via a fabulous boulangerie we know on the outskirts of Arnage....happy days!
Old 2 May 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2453991)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
From your campsite it is quite easy to drive but can take time, head back from the camsite to tertre rouge and go under the track, then follow the road (easier to just follow all the other brits as they will be going in the same direction) there are smaller tempoary signs but effectively you go to Raudin (I think thats what it is called) then head for Mulsanne, on the way you can visit the old restaurants on the mulsanne itself but viewing is now very limited during the race. There is a car park for viewing at mulsanne (seperate ticket this year) and when you park you walk along the straight after mulsanne back to the corner.

After Mulsanne follow the other cars or signs to arnarge, this is the best place to watch especially at night, don't tgake my word for it jus do it.

The trip can take several hours of driving but you can still herar RLM, this year the ACO are trying to sell more parking tickets it was always free before. There are free buses to both viewing areas but be warned they do not always run to timetable.
Old 2 May 2009, 10:09 (Ref:2454058)   #17
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Wow Gingers,you indeed are a privileged chap to've been at LM from such a young age! You have any plans to go racing yourself mate?

Personally,my best times,campingwise,have been at Houx annexe. The atmosphere is simply party minded. Indeed lots of fireworks,groups playing silly games,supersoaker battles...
It's also a 5 min. walk to Tertre rouge corner,also very near the inside of the carte S de la foret and a 10 minute walk from the village.
Too bad a large portion of this site has recently been eaten away by a new part of this silly Bugatti track and again an even larger part for a frikin' football stadium! WHAT were they thinking?!
Old 2 May 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2454135)   #18
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Wow Gingers,you indeed are a privileged chap to've been at LM from such a young age! You have any plans to go racing yourself mate?

Personally,my best times,campingwise,have been at Houx annexe. The atmosphere is simply party minded. Indeed lots of fireworks,groups playing silly games,supersoaker battles...
It's also a 5 min. walk to Tertre rouge corner,also very near the inside of the carte S de la foret and a 10 minute walk from the village.
Too bad a large portion of this site has recently been eaten away by a new part of this silly Bugatti track and again an even larger part for a frikin' football stadium! WHAT were they thinking?!
One day, perhaps I will go racing - but as a fat business whose bought his seat, not a pro .

I'm glad you say that as well about Houx, which is where I'm going this year.
Old 2 May 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2454136)   #19
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthe82 View Post
Dead simple, obviously dependant on the time you choose. Last year we watched the start and first couple of hours or so from the Dunlop Curve/tribunes area, then it was back to the campsite for a barbie, then off to Arnage/Indy for for nightfall, later on back to the start/finish to watch some pit action then walk out as far as Tetre Rouge. By this time we were a bit weary (there were eight of us last year) so went back for a couple of hours kip. Then up again about 3:30am to head out to Mulsanne for the dawn coming up, (on balance and after 12 visits my favourite spot to do this) then back for breakfast via a fabulous boulangerie we know on the outskirts of Arnage....happy days!
That sounds great - trouble is, my dad likes his drink, so he won't drive us anywhere, and he also doesn't trust buses (generation thing). Not onlu that there's twenty or so of us!
Old 2 May 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2454163)   #20
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That sounds great - trouble is, my dad likes his drink, so he won't drive us anywhere, and he also doesn't trust buses (generation thing). Not onlu that there's twenty or so of us!
Well,we can easilly sort out that problem Gingers. You see,allthough Houx and Houx annexe are not the same campsites(Houx is basically fully fended of if I'm correct.) the two are right next to eachother and so we will be quite close in proximity.

When you like,you're most welcome to join us when we go of on our nightly tour of the track. We mostly go with 2 to 4 cars and we'll probably be able to find you a spot.

We'll arrive on the wednesday,so it might be a good one to share a,erhm "Coke" together. You,your dad and friends are most welcome in our dutch camp. You can't mis us,we have a large twotop gazebo and a 45ft flagploe with the dutch tricolor,a stars'n bars flag and an orange vane.
Cars in our camp will be a black(wheels too)996 GT3,a bleu/orange 350Z,our red Celica GTfour,two Impreza's and an old Mitsubishi Pickup.

Just an idea.
Old 3 May 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2454671)   #21
TheKimme
Rookie

Denmark
TheKimme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally we camp outside that conference center. Or what it is One year i camp, very close to the Porsche curves. can't remember the named. I think it was naked K-Campen. Sadly my dad dosen't want to drive all the way to Le mans in his old car. and i cant find any cheap ways to get from DK to Le mans. so probably no le mans for me this year:S
Old 3 May 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2454725)   #22
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Well,we can easilly sort out that problem Gingers. You see,allthough Houx and Houx annexe are not the same campsites(Houx is basically fully fended of if I'm correct.) the two are right next to eachother and so we will be quite close in proximity.

When you like,you're most welcome to join us when we go of on our nightly tour of the track. We mostly go with 2 to 4 cars and we'll probably be able to find you a spot.

We'll arrive on the wednesday,so it might be a good one to share a,erhm "Coke" together. You,your dad and friends are most welcome in our dutch camp. You can't mis us,we have a large twotop gazebo and a 45ft flagploe with the dutch tricolor,a stars'n bars flag and an orange vane.
Cars in our camp will be a black(wheels too)996 GT3,a bleu/orange 350Z,our red Celica GTfour,two Impreza's and an old Mitsubishi Pickup.

Just an idea.
Why thankyou - and you can look out for us, a Ginger kid and a Middle-aged enhlish bloke in an 1977 Alfa Spider! And, yeh, we all like "Coke", who doesn't at Le Mans?
Old 5 May 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2455859)   #23
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"coke" is fine untill you get to the point where you are brushing your teeth with it because you can't find any water!
Old 5 May 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2455897)   #24
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaviel View Post
"coke" is fine untill you get to the point where you are brushing your teeth with it because you can't find any water!
Please tell me you didnt!!!

And so cloncludes my 100th post
Old 5 May 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2455919)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

I bet he did ..... Ive done worse at Le Mans . We should start a Le mans funny story thread .

God knows , Ive got a few !!!