Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 May 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2471979)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nuburgring 24hr 2009

I would like to know more about this incident if anyone knows....was there a course car upstream from the Marshal with the bottle? Same same for the recovery driver on the ripple strip.

I assume it all happened under Yellow Flags but it still all looks potentially disastrous for a number of reasons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkpd...eature=related
Old 30 May 2009, 08:59 (Ref:2472023)   #2
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
deleted

Last edited by Stack; 30 May 2009 at 09:00. Reason: missread post, Doh!

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 30 May 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2472285)   #3
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched this. Cannot comment on what was put out flags, S/car etc before the incident as we are not shown. Personaly I thought the fire fighting was handled well and even back up with a new bottle. Why the spare was not past behind the barrier I dont know. What I could not believe was the disregard to personal safety in the lack of overalls etc. All arms were bare from everyone. The recovery guy was more protected. The recovery marshal put themselves in danger by being between the barrier and the moving vehicles and in strop distance if it snapped under tension.
Old 30 May 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2472302)   #4
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the event but not in that section.

I'm suprised about the bare arms. Certainly all the German marshals I saw had overalls.

The snatching is something else though - that is pretty typical of how it is done. The really scary thing is that the tow vehicle has to drive to the incident covered only by white flags! It seems to work though - I watched a recovery in the Karousel, in the dark, with the guy attaching the tow-rope while cars went either side of him at near-racing speed, and he didn't seem the slightest bit concerned.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 10:01 (Ref:2473229)   #5
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
Bezzers1986 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was two or maybe 3 posts down (presuming it is the lexus pull off that happened near the start), we had a stationary yellow out for it (the incident was most likely under either waved or double waved yellows) looking at the section it may be 3 posts up so would have been double waved, waved and stationary.

No s/c's are used at the 24 hr due to size and number of cars. They will have sent an intercept vehicle, moves at race speed, which blocks the track on the side of the incident, and a tow vehicle, usually moved round under white flag. (though when a tow vehicle is towing it is sent round under yellows at the relevant posts)

Another thing they use is stationary white flags in the same way as yellow flags. Waved for the area the tow truck is in and stationary at the post further down.

It was quite an experience seeing how they work over there with no race stop or s/c. It did seem to work though!

Hope that helps
Old 1 Jun 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2473278)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzers1986 View Post
Another thing they use is stationary white flags in the same way as yellow flags. Waved for the area the tow truck is in and stationary at the post further down.
. . . just like we do!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2473324)   #7
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
really, thank you for letting me know! I have never seen a stationary white flag in UK, only ever a waved when the slow car/course vehicle has been a sector.

I will endevour to put out a stationary from now on!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2473341)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've done it, but you do get strange looks. Something that really ought to be reviewed for consistency.

With regard to the incident, not really prepared to comment too much on a video, but the guy putting out the fire did a good job, and has been commented before, overalls are just an additional protection, you really shouldn't be in a position to need them. Other procedures fitted local protocol, and as long as the drivers respect the flags there's no reason why it should cause a problem. In fact it's a great example of how things could be done so much more effiently if flags are used correctly and obeyed in full.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2473345)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I have never seen a stationary white flag in UK, only ever a waved when the slow car/course vehicle has been a sector.
Maybe I should have said 'like we're supposed to do.'!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2473350)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I've done it, but you do get strange looks. Something that really ought to be reviewed for consistency.
Don't see why you should get strange looks for doing the job according to the Blue Book (G 80 (d)).
Old 1 Jun 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2473359)   #11
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC, at training a few years ago, we were told that a waved white wasn't an official flag signal, and that a white shoud always be stationary. *shrug* every flaggy I've ever told this to has looked at me as if I'm strange.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2473401)   #12
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I have never seen a stationary white flag in UK
You saw a few yesterday on post 13!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2473429)   #13
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
true, I remember 1, also your comment about the white flag being the most underused flag in racing....

This seems to have gone off topic lol, should we start a white flag thread?
Old 1 Jun 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2473526)   #14
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when i did 24hr theey used safety cars to neutrilize race this is only used after fast intervention car is sent out from race control to asses incident this usualy travels at race speed and is only flaged if it slows or stops in a sector. circuit is spilt into sector under the contorl of a senior obs . post obs report incident to him and he pases them to race control
Old 2 Jun 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2473893)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all who have commented...V interesting!

[PS not being critical..just trying to understand how things work elsewhere ]
Old 3 Jun 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2474791)   #16
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Babapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here a footage from about 9:00 a.m. during the race. you see the work from the marschalls after an accident between the livestrip-BMW and one scirocco:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcmt5oTVNgM

(the sound is from radio nürburgring incl. the news at 9 and some music)
Old 4 Jun 2009, 08:07 (Ref:2475175)   #17
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aside from the comments already made (fire fought well etc) I am slightly confused as to why the marshal found the need (at least twice) to stand in the track. If he needed to look at that side of the car the best thing to do would have been to move to the front of the car and look down the side of the car therefore using the car as protection.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2476841)   #18
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Babapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe there stood a intervention car some meters before the burning lexus to protect the marshall. you see how they work at the ring on the example withe the scirocco and the BMW above.

on my opinion they do very good work at the ring!
Old 8 Jun 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2477355)   #19
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babapapa View Post
maybe there stood a intervention car some meters before the burning lexus to protect the marshall. you see how they work at the ring on the example withe the scirocco and the BMW above.

Maybe the intervention car was upstream...and I have no criticism of the Marshals...they have a their job to do.

I just think that others might do some things a little differently. I for one would stand at the edge of the track to wave a Yellow (if necessary) and direct cars to the left instead of standing in the middle to "protect" downstream. No guaranty of course that I still couldn't get clouted by an out-of-control car .

The Driver looked a little dazed, so I won't say he should have jumped the armco straight away instead of turning his back on the race and wandering along the fence!
Old 8 Jun 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2477679)   #20
Simon Morris
Racer

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Simon Morris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babapapa View Post

Invertention car or not, I was still worried at how often the fire marshal walked onto the live circuit with his back to the traffic without even a galnce back to see if anything was coming.

That said this is still an event that I want to marshal at some point in the future. Eveyone makes mistakes once in a while.