Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: The Best Racing Car Ever - You Decide
Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 1 2.33%
Aston Martin DBR1/300 1 2.33%
Ford GT40 3 6.98%
Porsche 917 or 908 8 18.60%
Ferrari 312PB 0 0%
Matra MS670 0 0%
Porsche 936 or 956/962 14 32.56%
Jaguar XJR 8/9/12 family or D type 3 6.98%
Sauber Mercedes C9 or Mercedes Benz 300SLR 2 4.65%
Audi R8 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Jul 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1351551)   #1
mpd00tgl
Rookie

mpd00tgl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Best Racing Car Ever

As above, but really, is it the DAUER 962, FORD GT40 LM 1969, the PESCAROLO JUDD, BENTLEY SPEED 8, or the AUDI R8?

Choose from the list above, or add your own suggestions.

For me it's either the DAUER 962 or the FORD GT40 LM 1969.

What does everyone else think?
Old 10 Jul 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1351556)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frankly, for me, its a disgrace toi have the Dauer in a list of the best racing car ever - IMO (he stresses). Do you mean the best sports car ever? The best prototype ever? Best looking? Best performing?

For me -

Best looking - Toyota TS020 - GT One

Best Performing - Porsche 956/962
Old 10 Jul 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1351574)   #3
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
The 917 was probably the biggest legend, it faced more serious competition than the 956/962, or maybe Old No. 1. But in terms of outright results it has to be the 956/962.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1351581)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So we really can't be bothered to distinguish between GTs and prototypes (actual sportscars) anymore? Alright then, let's hear it for the PORSCHE 996!

The Dauer was an example of creative interpretation of the rules, and as such was clever; but legendary? - Nah. The Porsche 962 as a whole, on the other hand, was probably the best ever.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1351588)   #5
mpd00tgl
Rookie

Best Racing Car Ever

Have you missed the point? The title says ''Best Racing Car Ever'' So no good lookers or prototypes, it's about succession and engineering, mechanical perfection. Look at the FORD GT40, it won Le Mans in it's famous succession, and can still beat a NOBLE around a track today! That is saying something! The DAUER 962 was made before the McLaren F1, has half the capacity, half the cylinders and goes even faster than the McLaren F1! As well as being successfull. Can you now see what the thread is about?

Last edited by mpd00tgl; 10 Jul 2005 at 13:44. Reason: Spelling mistakes. Typo errors, point not made clear enough yet
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1351756)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I can now see what the thread is about.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1351977)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No. the title makes no sense, my friend. The thread could mean anything. I could quote aan F1 Lotus or Alonso's latest Renault under that title. Lets face it, potentially giving the plaudit of best racing car ever to the Dauer 962 was bound to wind a few people up.... including me - obviously. But I'll get over it......
Old 10 Jul 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1351979)   #8
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is what the thread is about you can't ignore Laurence Pearce and his Lister Storms in GTL or GT versions. Winning in 96 and still winning in 2005 (Pau). Truly an iconic car imo

But I dont understand the thread (despite never bunking off school and doing my English homework all the time)
Old 10 Jul 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1351993)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK, as I understand it mpd00tgl is referring to sports cars. The looks are immaterial and all protos are excepted. Sop I presume we're confining ourselves solely to production based sports cars. (Well, at least that rules out the M3.... ).

For my money, it also rules out a car based on a prototype which only raced due to a loophole in the rules.

Over to you.....
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1352009)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria

Best racecar ever: Alfa Tipo 156 "Alfetta". Won races before the war, during the war, after the war, first World Champion of the modern era. Just horribly off-topic in this forum, but there.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1352014)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj79
If this is what the thread is about you can't ignore Laurence Pearce and his Lister Storms in GTL or GT versions. Winning in 96 and still winning in 2005 (Pau). Truly an iconic car imo

But I dont understand the thread (despite never bunking off school and doing my English homework all the time)
I'd agree with you on that one. It's what I'd vote for in this thread. I'm biast because I've loved the Listers as long as I've taken an interest in this type of racing, but you can't ignore an achievement like that. In fact it's their Jaguar V12's which got me hooked on sportscar racing in the first place! Shame the car must surely be coming to the end of it's lifespan one of these days...

Is there much of a point to this thread, though? We already have more best/worst car threads than I care to read about. Is this thread really delving any uncovered depths? If it is deemed necessary, then forgive me but I'll go and think about my choices for a "best engine note" poll...
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1352019)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Best racecar ever: Alfa Tipo 156 "Alfetta". Won races before the war, during the war, after the war, first World Champion of the modern era. Just horribly off-topic in this forum, but there.

A case of - it is - but it isn't, perhaps........
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1352022)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
....I'll go and think about my choices for a "best engine note" poll...
Actually, that sounds rather good to me......

I am joking.........
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1352026)   #14
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Actually, that sounds rather good to me......

I am joking.........
Thankfully I was making a sarcy comment - don't worry, no thread like that will be started! At least not by me anyway...
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1352065)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Only cos of a lack of competition. Mercedes knocked up a bitza that beat it first (and only) time out.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1352075)   #16
mpd00tgl
Rookie

I reckon you've got the hang of this now. The DAUER, although some may not like it, was quite successful, and the road going version is phenonomal! (i can't spell today) But the FORD GT40 is fantastic and would get my vote. There are too many new cars and different scenarios to compare with and find the ultimate, but just to recognise the good ones is enough. But being the best of the best is something most people would debate about for a long time, so i suggest a short list is to be drawn up of peoples and a score for each one given, or something like that to start to narrow it down a bit.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1352080)   #17
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Same could be said about the Merc itself, no competition in the big class except Auto Union. And why did Merc shy away from the Voiturette class? Sadly, we never got to see the all-Voiturette formula proposed for 1940.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1352258)   #18
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
To take the question literally it has to be the Audi R8 for the simple reason that it would problably beat any other racing car that we can consider in this forum!
Old 11 Jul 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1352265)   #19
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Sauber-Mercedes C9 - lighter, more downforce, more bhp, no contest I'm afraid.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1352285)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd00tgl
...so i suggest a short list is to be drawn up of peoples and a score for each one given, or something like that to start to narrow it down a bit.

Go for it. You draw up the list (its your thread, after all) and I'll put up the poll for you. Remember, you only have a maximum of 10 poll options though.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 07:59 (Ref:1352286)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I reckon you've got the hang of this now.

Well, you know, after 13,000+ posts, I guess you could be right........
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1352323)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Well, you know, after 13,000+ posts, I guess you could be right........
Yes, it was more than a bit cheeky wasn't it Ayse, especially as it followed on from posts about the single seater Alfetta (which incidentally, I'm sure was the 158/159)? I think I'll wait to see if I'm on the right track before I commit my choice(s) to post!
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1352333)   #23
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
(which incidentally, I'm sure was the 158/159)
Oops, you are right, the 156 is something different altogether.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1352347)   #24
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The DAUER 962 was made before the McLaren F1, has half the capacity, half the cylinders and goes even faster than the McLaren F1!
Only marginally faster, 3-4 seconds per lap of Le Mans. It did have the advantage of a turbo of course, thus negating the half-capacity....
Old 11 Jul 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1352524)   #25
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't be the Dauer, it's a compromised Group C car - A proper 962 would be better.

Now, if you could remove the chicanes at Le Mans and develop the turbo motor properly, what about....the WM!

Fastest thing EVER on the Mulsanne...

Cheers.