Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 2 Aug 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1979130)   #26
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
never the less it is missleading. ALMS attracts a lot of fans over here, there are 4 races in one, and people get to see Ferraris.....and they seem to be Ferrari crazy in America.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 18:20 (Ref:1979263)   #27
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, Ferraris are cool. Everyone knows it, but not all will admit it.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 05:44 (Ref:1979599)   #28
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint
never the less it is missleading.
Its not misleading when one states it as an event or 3 day crowd, its quite transparent.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1979618)   #29
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think this is an interesting thread -- But I wish someone had comparative TV ratings {IRL versus Champ Car} because TV generates so much money. I think that's the real lynchpin issue. Now if Scott Speed goes to CC I believe it will generate a bump in their ratings and more fans at the events. But whether it will hold is anyone's guess.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 3 Aug 2007 at 07:02.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 07:21 (Ref:1979629)   #30
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah. Getting SS would be good. I would quite like Bourdais to stay, and Doornbos, Jani, et al, for some time too.

I guess it may be a bout of self-delusion, but ChampCar is starting to look like it may just be getting somewhere.

The IRL appears to be in some sort of transition period, so it is hard to comment in what is going on for it. Although, well, I guess the season has got better as the year has gone on. It has been a pretty interesting one I think...so, well, if things could get a bit more financially solid, then, well, perhaps our world could become a bit brighter.

Last edited by Dutton; 3 Aug 2007 at 07:24.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1979637)   #31
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is interesting here is we have not really seen any true stats yet. Anyone know where we can get some? Crowds and TV ratings
Old 3 Aug 2007, 14:18 (Ref:1979895)   #32
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
I think this is an interesting thread -- But I wish someone had comparative TV ratings {IRL versus Champ Car} because TV generates so much money. I think that's the real lynchpin issue. Now if Scott Speed goes to CC I believe it will generate a bump in their ratings and more fans at the events. But whether it will hold is anyone's guess.
In other forums, I have seen TV numbers but can't really quote them directly, because they are scattered among various threads.

However, on a weekend when the IRL and Champ Car were directly competing with each other on network TV, the IRL drew a 1.0 rating for it's race and Champ Car had either a 0.5 or 0.6

Neither number is anything to crow about, though.

The IRL also had a 1.5 for its Mid-Ohio telecast.

In general, the IRL's ratings have been better than CHamp Car's but both series are not drawing big TV audiences compared to other sports.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Aug 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1980043)   #33
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
I got this from the TF forum:

Champ Car Ratings:

Las Vegas - 0.8 (Network)
Long Beach - 0.6 (Network)
Houston - 0.3 (Cable)
Portland - 0.6 (Network)
Cleveland - 0.6 (Network)
Mt. Tremblant - 0.2 (Cable)
Toronto - 0.3 (Cable)
Edmonton - 0.3 (Cable)
San Jose - 0.3 (Cable)

IRL Ratings:

Homestead - 0.7 (Cable)
St. Pete - 0.7 (Cable)
Motegi - 0.4 (Cable)
Kansas - 0.6 (Cable)
Indy -
Milwaukee - 1.0 (Network)
Texas - 0.7 (Cable)
Iowa - 1.1 (Network)
Richmond - 0.6 (Cable)
Watkins Glen - 1.0 (Network)
Nashville - 0.7 (Cable)
Mid-Ohio - 0.5 (Cable)
1.7 (Network) (British Open Playoff)

Champ Car's Cable average is just under 0.3
IRL's Cable Average is slightly above 0.6

Champ Car's Network Average is 0.6
IRL's Network Avergae is 1.25

Indy is not included because it would skew the numbers very heavily to the IRL...I believe it was a 4.5 or so this year, IIRC.

So whether it is cable or network, Champ Car is drawing half of the viewers that the IRL is on American TV.

Concerning your comment on TV drawing money, Champ Car pays for their air time and the IRL gets paid by ABC/ESPN to air their races...Champ Car has to sell commercial time just to try to cover their costs.

Old 3 Aug 2007, 19:10 (Ref:1980071)   #34
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
I got this from the TF forum:

Champ Car Ratings:

Las Vegas - 0.8 (Network)
Long Beach - 0.6 (Network)
Houston - 0.3 (Cable)
Portland - 0.6 (Network)
Cleveland - 0.6 (Network)
Mt. Tremblant - 0.2 (Cable)
Toronto - 0.3 (Cable)
Edmonton - 0.3 (Cable)
San Jose - 0.3 (Cable)

IRL Ratings:

Homestead - 0.7 (Cable)
St. Pete - 0.7 (Cable)
Motegi - 0.4 (Cable)
Kansas - 0.6 (Cable)
Indy -
Milwaukee - 1.0 (Network)
Texas - 0.7 (Cable)
Iowa - 1.1 (Network)
Richmond - 0.6 (Cable)
Watkins Glen - 1.0 (Network)
Nashville - 0.7 (Cable)
Mid-Ohio - 0.5 (Cable)
1.7 (Network) (British Open Playoff)

Champ Car's Cable average is just under 0.3
IRL's Cable Average is slightly above 0.6

Champ Car's Network Average is 0.6
IRL's Network Avergae is 1.25

Indy is not included because it would skew the numbers very heavily to the IRL...I believe it was a 4.5 or so this year, IIRC.

So whether it is cable or network, Champ Car is drawing half of the viewers that the IRL is on American TV.

Concerning your comment on TV drawing money, Champ Car pays for their air time and the IRL gets paid by ABC/ESPN to air their races...Champ Car has to sell commercial time just to try to cover their costs.
Excellent work Tim!!! - Thanks for the info!
Old 3 Aug 2007, 19:13 (Ref:1980075)   #35
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Mt. Tremblant got a 0.2: the lowest of the year!

My, oh my. Arguably the best track CC runs on, and everyone misses it...
Old 3 Aug 2007, 19:15 (Ref:1980078)   #36
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
For a Cable rating that 0.2 is under 200,000 households...

Old 3 Aug 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1980086)   #37
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I guess the round being held not only in Freeloading Canada, but Frogland-Freeloading Canada at that, will have an impact on interest.

I would guess the casual could be less than inspired to watch...man, they ain't have missing out though...Mt. Tremblant is just an immense venue...they should use it as the selling point of this Canadian Crown (or whatever the official title is).

If was going to live anywhere in Quebec, then Mt Tremblant would be it. Stunning place with many things to do through the year. Does anyone know how Mt. Tremblant citizens take to people moving there but being too lazy to learn French?

Last edited by Dutton; 3 Aug 2007 at 19:36.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1980131)   #38
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice work Tim. Thanks
Old 4 Aug 2007, 00:51 (Ref:1980208)   #39
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
finally a good answer thanks
Old 5 Aug 2007, 14:59 (Ref:1981630)   #40
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anybody any rough idea of the viewing figures for both series over in the UK ?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 5 Aug 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1981733)   #41
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not me, but I would assume CC would do better (no idea what coverage is like nowadays, though).
Old 5 Aug 2007, 16:51 (Ref:1981750)   #42
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Not me, but I would assume CC would do better (no idea what coverage is like nowadays, though).
CC is on eurosport which is within the basic sky package i think. It has a good pre race 30 minute show and all the races are live. We usually don't get too many adverts, and they actually cover the races well now. Jeremy Shaw and James Hinchcliffeare good commentators. Motors TV show the re-runs as well, usually about 10 times a week lol

IRL is on skysports, which you have to pay extra for. Coverage is "usually" live, but they do have technical difficulties with the live feed from USA sometime, which can be annoying (especially during the last laps on the indy 500) But they have pre race coverage, with Paul Cherry is the studio, who is excellent. Few too many adverts for my liking. They usually repeat it 2 or 3 times.

Both series are covered well in my opinion, but i just get the feeling that the viewing firgures are not great.

PS - Sorry about this not tieing in with crowds as such, but i think it is relevant to fanbse, which is part of the debate

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 6 Aug 2007, 04:15 (Ref:1982138)   #43
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Australia, IRL has allways had the better coverage.

Live in the morning, then replayed at night. Meaning you can watch the IRL coverage twice before the CC highlights package comes on monday morning.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 07:53 (Ref:1982224)   #44
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Australia, IRL has allways had the better coverage.

Live in the morning, then replayed at night. Meaning you can watch the IRL coverage twice before the CC highlights package comes on monday morning.
Always? Seems a misleading statement though considering it actually hasnt always.

IRL does have the advantage of having it shown twice and live however this on a cable station as opposed to the free to air champcar races.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1982282)   #45
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Okay, DRT, Allways as of say, oh hell, 2003?
Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1982520)   #46
D.R.T.
Veteran

Yes now we have established a difference between always and 2003.

But also is live (early mornings) on cable considered better than late night on free to air. I would be interested to see how many Australians have pay TV, let alone ESPN.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1982966)   #47
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Well fine, if you don't like it live then at 8:00 on monday night seems like a good time to me.

The point is it gets better coverage, and the sad state of affairs means probably no one watches it.

Happy?