Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest F1 driver?
Lewis Hamilton 22 22.00%
Michael Schumacher 11 11.00%
Juan Manuel Fangio 6 6.00%
Alain Prost 7 7.00%
Ayrton Senna 22 22.00%
Jackie Stewart 0 0%
Jim Clark 17 17.00%
Alberto Ascari 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 1 1.00%
Niki Lauda 3 3.00%
Stirling Moss 2 2.00%
Sebastian Vettel 0 0%
Nigel Mansell 1 1.00%
Nelson Piquet 0 0%
James Hunt 0 0%
Mika Hakkinen 0 0%
Giles Villeneuve 2 2.00%
Max Verstappen 0 0%
Nico Rosberg 0 0%
Jack Brabham 4 4.00%
Carlos Reutemann 0 0%
Jochen Rindt 0 0%
Ronnie Peterson 1 1.00%
Kimi Raikkonen 1 1.00%
Graham Hill 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 May 2021, 05:40 (Ref:4051580)   #301
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Right.......so schumacher gets credit for Hamilton’s work now even though he’s not been in the car for 9 years...I do hope that’s tongue in cheek lol.

Russell Is a talented lad but let’s not forget he’s done hundreds of laps in that car in testing and thousands of laps in the Mercedes sim, he wasn’t new to the car.

You’re talking about an experienced race fit driver jumping into a familiar car....

...again, it’s funny, when Max jumped into the red bull in 2016, no one was talking about it being all about the car when he won....it was Max’s talent. Why aren’t we applying the same rules again?
It's not tongue in cheek at all. He was there when they were building in 2010-12, the infrastructure that is there today and Mercedes' success can be attributed to two major factors - Schumacher and co helping to build a very impressive team, and Merc nailing the PU changes.

At the end of the day, if Hamilton had not changed from McLaren to Mercedes (which many at the time said was going to be a regretful decision for Hamilton) - he would not have 7 titles, 90+ race wins, 100 poles, or be in the conversation for the GOAT.

Was it luck? Was it seeing the writing on the wall at McLaren? Hamilton had no idea Mercedes were going to be as good as they have been. Even the most rose-tinted Lewis fans can agree that. Or maybe Hamilton realised a team built by the greatest driver of his generation may not be a half bad place to be...

Some could argue that Alonso has been as unfortunate in his team change decisions as Hamilton has been fortunate. But that's an argument for another day.

You're a one-eyed Hamilton fan, that much is clear. But sometimes it's wise to use both eyes.
Old 14 May 2021, 06:02 (Ref:4051584)   #302
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
It's not tongue in cheek at all. He was there when they were building in 2010-12, the infrastructure that is there today and Mercedes' success can be attributed to two major factors - Schumacher and co helping to build a very impressive team, and Merc nailing the PU changes.

At the end of the day, if Hamilton had not changed from McLaren to Mercedes (which many at the time said was going to be a regretful decision for Hamilton) - he would not have 7 titles, 90+ race wins, 100 poles, or be in the conversation for the GOAT.

Was it luck? Was it seeing the writing on the wall at McLaren? Hamilton had no idea Mercedes were going to be as good as they have been. Even the most rose-tinted Lewis fans can agree that. Or maybe Hamilton realised a team built by the greatest driver of his generation may not be a half bad place to be...

Some could argue that Alonso has been as unfortunate in his team change decisions as Hamilton has been fortunate. But that's an argument for another day.

You're a one-eyed Hamilton fan, that much is clear. But sometimes it's wise to use both eyes.
I’m not one eyed at all, and recognise that Hamilton has had very impressive cars over the last few years, but I am simply asking people on here to apply the same rules to other drivers in dominant cars as they are to Lewis....seems like I’m one of the few with both eyes open

It amazes me how people like yourself claim that it’s just luck and everyone else’s hard work that has put Lewis where he is today....and yet when you talk of other drivers like schumacher it’s all down to their hard work....even crediting them with someone else’s success after being out of the sport for 9 years with the sport going through multiple rule changes in that time.

Schumacher, the greatest of his generation? Are you sure?? Apply the same rules you are for Hamilton...you know, subservient teammates, new parts before they got them, one off special tyres that no other team on the grid had, flexi wings, bargrboards, the biggest budget in F1...surely he can’t be?

I’m all for playing this silly game but if you apply the rules to Hamilton then apply them to schumacher too ;-)

Utterly laughable

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 14 May 2021 at 06:21.
Old 14 May 2021, 06:31 (Ref:4051585)   #303
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I’m not one eyed at all, and recognise that Hamilton has had very impressive cars over the last few years, but I am simply asking people on here to apply the same rules to other drivers in dominant cars as they are to Lewis....seems like I’m one of the few with both eyes open

It amazes me how people like yourself claim that it’s just luck and everyone else’s hard work that has put Lewis where he is today....and yet when you talk of other drivers like schumacher it’s all down to their hard work....even crediting them with someone else’s success after being out of the sport for 9 years with the sport going through multiple rule changes in that time.

Schumacher, the greatest of his generation? Are you sure?? Apply the same rules you are for Hamilton...you know, subservient teammates, new parts before they got them, one off special tyres that no other team on the grid had, flexi wings, bargrboards, the biggest budget in F1...surely he can’t be?

I’m all for playing this silly game but if you apply the rules to Hamilton then apply them to schumacher too ;-)

Utterly laughable

Can you please point out where I stated definitively that Hamilton's success is down to luck?
Old 14 May 2021, 06:44 (Ref:4051587)   #304
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Can you please point out where I stated definitively that Hamilton's success is down to luck?
So if you’re not claiming it’s luck, then it’s through Hamilton’s hard work. Thanks for clearing that up.

Are you going to apply the same rules to others or not?

Again I’m happy to play this little game, but be fair now...

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 14 May 2021 at 06:49.
Old 14 May 2021, 07:19 (Ref:4051590)   #305
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hamilton's early career is possibly where his success really comes from. Schumacher, Button, Rosberg et al came up through karting but crucially they weren't selected by a (then) top team to be developed through to formula 1. Not sure whether you could call it luck or just a recognition of his obvious abilities at that young age. I think he probably learned the background skills (non racing) whilst being mentored by McLaren so when he finally got on the grid the non racing skills were pretty much in place. Hence his stellar first season.

So, if correct, I feel this rather than "luck" has made him what he is and so far he is the only product of such a scheme to come through. I am discounting the Red Bull academy because that is more of a wide ranging pool of talent. Will there be others? No idea but it will surely depend on whether there are young talents, with the support Hamilton had, coming to the notice of team managers.
Old 14 May 2021, 07:59 (Ref:4051593)   #306
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hamilton's early career is possibly where his success really comes from. Schumacher, Button, Rosberg et al came up through karting but crucially they weren't selected by a (then) top team to be developed through to formula 1. Not sure whether you could call it luck or just a recognition of his obvious abilities at that young age. I think he probably learned the background skills (non racing) whilst being mentored by McLaren so when he finally got on the grid the non racing skills were pretty much in place. Hence his stellar first season.

So, if correct, I feel this rather than "luck" has made him what he is and so far he is the only product of such a scheme to come through. I am discounting the Red Bull academy because that is more of a wide ranging pool of talent. Will there be others? No idea but it will surely depend on whether there are young talents, with the support Hamilton had, coming to the notice of team managers.
Absoultely no doubt Hamilton has benefited from Mercedes development program, but he has also had to perform from a very young age.

At any step Mercedes could have dropped him, but they didnt, they continued to invest vast amounts of money.

The at should tell you all you need to know about how impressive hamilton has been through the junior ranks...
Old 14 May 2021, 09:06 (Ref:4051601)   #307
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
As for teammates, some have been made to give the number 1 driver an easy ride, or easier ride.
I don't see it like that. For quite a bit of the time, the #2 hasn't been made to do this, he simply hasn't been good enough....
Old 14 May 2021, 09:18 (Ref:4051606)   #308
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don't see it like that. For quite a bit of the time, the #2 hasn't been made to do this, he simply hasn't been good enough....
and when the number 2 is good enough then the team changes its focus,
Verstappen for Ricciardo
Leclerc for Vettel
Hamilton for Rosberg?
Old 14 May 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4051608)   #309
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post

I agree. There have been some cases where there has been no 1 and no 2 from the beginning of the season, like Andretti and Peterson or Schumi and Irvine. However most of the time, like it is with Hamilton and Bottas, it’s how the season shapes that decides who’s number 1 and 2
Old 14 May 2021, 10:41 (Ref:4051618)   #310
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I agree. There have been some cases where there has been no 1 and no 2 from the beginning of the season, like Andretti and Peterson or Schumi and Irvine. However most of the time, like it is with Hamilton and Bottas, it’s how the season shapes that decides who’s number 1 and 2
Was there ever any doubt with Schuey and Irvine though - really?
Old 14 May 2021, 11:06 (Ref:4051623)   #311
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Absoultely no doubt Hamilton has benefited from Mercedes development program, but he has also had to perform from a very young age.

At any step Mercedes could have dropped him, but they didnt, they continued to invest vast amounts of money.

The at should tell you all you need to know about how impressive hamilton has been through the junior ranks...
In general I'm agreeing with you. My point was more that Rosberg, Button etc. came from a very similar background but missed the early mentoring by a big team (McLaren) and this, I think, is where Hamilton gained the edge. Nothing to do with best car etc. He got that because he is able to concentrate on driving rather than managing his life, if you get my drift.

So, much more complex than being lucky.
Old 14 May 2021, 11:40 (Ref:4051627)   #312
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
In general I'm agreeing with you. My point was more that Rosberg, Button etc. came from a very similar background but missed the early mentoring by a big team (McLaren) and this, I think, is where Hamilton gained the edge. Nothing to do with best car etc. He got that because he is able to concentrate on driving rather than managing his life, if you get my drift.

So, much more complex than being lucky.
Oh absolutely, i agree with you. Lewis was the first to benefit from a proper young driver program. Before then there was the Mclaren Autosport driver program but it certainly wasnt to the same level of the support Hamilton benefited from. Obviously since then youve got the Red Bull driver program, which is a bit more 'X Factor'....let a load of kids sign up then just keep the best and cut out the rest, so until they get to F2/F1 its not as focussed as what hamilton had, as a young driver program of a couple ( i think we can class Gary Paffet in the same boat)

Theres no doubt Lewis benefited from the help, but he still needed to have the talent and results to back it up. It would have been very easy for Ron to drop him if the results didnt come in.
Old 14 May 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4051638)   #313
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And Hamilton didn’t always have it easy either. His father had to work three jobs just to pay for his karting
Old 14 May 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4051644)   #314
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And Hamilton didn’t always have it easy either. His father had to work three jobs just to pay for his karting
That reminds me of something I was reading recently that contrasted Rich and Poor double standards:

"Not having a job: If you're poor and don't have a job, or have to rely on others, you're considered trashy. But if you're rich and don't have a job and you rely on others, you're considered lucky or fortunate."

"Having multiple jobs: If you have to work three jobs just to feed your family, somehow you're trashy. But if you're rich, you're business-savvy with multiple streams of income."

My favourite of the bunch though was
"Not taking care of your kids: When the less fortunate do it, it's neglect. When rich people do it, it's called having a nanny."
Old 14 May 2021, 12:54 (Ref:4051649)   #315
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite frankly, because a lot of people just like to be mean towards other people, they would use those situations as a negative whether talking about poor or rich.
Old 15 May 2021, 02:23 (Ref:4051730)   #316
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Oh absolutely, i agree with you. Lewis was the first to benefit from a proper young driver program. Before then there was the Mclaren Autosport driver program but it certainly wasnt to the same level of the support Hamilton benefited from. Obviously since then youve got the Red Bull driver program, which is a bit more 'X Factor'....let a load of kids sign up then just keep the best and cut out the rest, so until they get to F2/F1 its not as focussed as what hamilton had, as a young driver program of a couple ( i think we can class Gary Paffet in the same boat)

Theres no doubt Lewis benefited from the help, but he still needed to have the talent and results to back it up. It would have been very easy for Ron to drop him if the results didnt come in.
Speaking of driver programs, I am really impressed with the effort that both McLaren and Danni Ricc are putting in to get Ricciardo up to speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC46SWzS7qc

It seems to be an adult approach to bringing a driver you know is good into a team and ensuring that he gets up to speed, rather than just condemning him for encountering a problem that he has not dealt with before and casting him on the scrap heap. Really take my hat off to both parties here.
Old 15 May 2021, 09:04 (Ref:4051753)   #317
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Speaking of driver programs, I am really impressed with the effort that both McLaren and Danni Ricc are putting in to get Ricciardo up to speed.

It seems to be an adult approach to bringing a driver you know is good into a team and ensuring that he gets up to speed, rather than just condemning him for encountering a problem that he has not dealt with before and casting him on the scrap heap. Really take my hat off to both parties here.
Interesting insight. Hats off to Ricciardo for having the humility to go back to school in an effort to better himself. It reminds me of similar situations in the music field. I know that when I get a new instrument in my hands, as good as it is on the "spec sheet", sometimes it just doesn't "feel" right and requires you to adopt your technique to get the most out of it. It can be a humbling, sometime even arduous, task but there is nothing to be lost by exploring it. And, potentially, much to be gained.
Old 15 May 2021, 09:31 (Ref:4051757)   #318
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

That is just how teams should support drivers. It also helps that Ricciardo has been honest about his difficulties getting to grips with a new car and so both driver and team can work together to improve the car and make him feel more comfortable with the car and the team. Maybe Dr Marko could learn a lesson here
Old 15 May 2021, 14:05 (Ref:4051793)   #319
wnut
Veteran

Then there is the matter of how talent is wasted on the F1 grid in the lower teams.

Rogro qualifies for his first pole in his third race:

https://www.crash.net/indycar/news/9...ole-third-race
Old 15 May 2021, 14:09 (Ref:4051794)   #320
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
That is just how teams should support drivers. It also helps that Ricciardo has been honest about his difficulties getting to grips with a new car and so both driver and team can work together to improve the car and make him feel more comfortable with the car and the team. Maybe Dr Marko could learn a lesson here
The Machiavellian managers of Ferrari too!
Old 15 May 2021, 19:51 (Ref:4051842)   #321
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Then there is the matter of how talent is wasted on the F1 grid in the lower teams.

Rogro qualifies for his first pole in his third race:

https://www.crash.net/indycar/news/9...ole-third-race

Or because the grid is limited, drivers just fall out of F1
Old 19 May 2021, 01:14 (Ref:4052218)   #322
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Or because the grid is limited, drivers just fall out of F1
So you think F1 is all about the driver?
Old 19 May 2021, 02:34 (Ref:4052220)   #323
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is top draw discussion!

Clearly no one thinks F1 is all about the driver. Grosjean could not show all his talents in a Haas, but equally he had plenty of chances in F1 and he found the better teams preferred other drivers. In the end the best seat he could get was the Haas and he wasn’t going to start climbing the team hierarchy again. Although he is getting a Merc test

Great pole by Grosjean and he put in a good race too. Looking forward to his next Indycar race.
Old 19 May 2021, 09:16 (Ref:4052239)   #324
S griffin
Veteran

Yes, the cream does usually rise to the top, so it's harder for drivers who are good, but not great to move up the grid.
Old 19 May 2021, 14:34 (Ref:4052262)   #325
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no doubt there is that, sometimes its bad timing, bad car, the pressure, or it just doesnt work out for whatever reason. we see this in sport all the time.

but at the same time, is the overall grid now (and over the last several years) relatively the most talented group of young and most well prepared drivers we have ever seen on a grid?

is this a natural progression even...rather does the required minimum skill level to participate improve/increase over time?

in the context of GOAT, do drivers today (currently Ham) deserve additional credit for their strength of competition?