Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 May 2020, 08:03 (Ref:3973928)   #51
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But no-one would know

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2020, 09:58 (Ref:3973936)   #52
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
A group of enthusiasts towing their own old cars to race together on a circuit? wives with packed lunches and mates with tool boxes?

It'll never catch on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
I too very much doubt the Classic will go ahead

But if you think about the event running without spectators, then the amount of infrastructure required would be very much smaller. At that point the costs would fall dramatically. Race entrance fees at that meeting are far higher than everywhere else, somewhere near £1m, so there would be enough money in the coffers somewhere to make it happen

If you close all the catering outlets, ban all the individual race organiser hospitality trucks and make everyone bring their own sandwiches then you might actually get back to having an event which was nearer to what they were when the cars were new.

No crowds and no poseurs, it could be the best Silverstone Classic ever!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Moss Smart Cortina and Elan.jpg  
Old 1 May 2020, 10:04 (Ref:3973940)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got a feeling of de Ja vu.
Old 1 May 2020, 11:05 (Ref:3973948)   #54
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
I too very much doubt the Classic will go ahead

But if you think about the event running without spectators, then the amount of infrastructure required would be very much smaller. At that point the costs would fall dramatically. Race entrance fees at that meeting are far higher than everywhere else, somewhere near £1m, so there would be enough money in the coffers somewhere to make it happen

If you close all the catering outlets, ban all the individual race organiser hospitality trucks and make everyone bring their own sandwiches then you might actually get back to having an event which was nearer to what they were when the cars were new.

No crowds and no poseurs, it could be the best Silverstone Classic ever!!!!
It’s called “club racing”, you may have heard of it?
Old 1 May 2020, 12:25 (Ref:3973950)   #55
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
And if they run an event like the Classic without spectators they can forget ever getting a penny from me again . I have never competed , except at the humblest speed event , but I have spectated , helped organise, marshalled and reported on events for decades .I've also spent a lot of money at Silverstone over the years .

The club racing I attended in the 60s and 70s did its best to welcome impecunious enthusiasts , and if there is any move to regard folk like me as an unwelcome inconvenience I will be massively p***ed off !
Old 1 May 2020, 12:45 (Ref:3973951)   #56
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
And if they run an event like the Classic without spectators they can forget ever getting a penny from me again . I have never competed , except at the humblest speed event , but I have spectated , helped organise, marshalled and reported on events for decades .I've also spent a lot of money at Silverstone over the years .

The club racing I attended in the 60s and 70s did its best to welcome impecunious enthusiasts , and if there is any move to regard folk like me as an unwelcome inconvenience I will be massively p***ed off !
Ummmm how would running the event without spectators mean that you are an unwelcome inconvenience?

Its a temporary situation which is being dealt with as best as possible.

Surely when events CAN run safely, they SHOULD be run safely...even if that means its behind closed doors to try and get people back into work...

...I wouldn't begrudge BTCC for instance running without spectators if it meant those that rely on work as mechanics, photographers, media etc could actually earn some money and get back on their feet....im not selfish enough to put my enjoyment of the sport ahead of someones livelihood
Old 1 May 2020, 13:34 (Ref:3973963)   #57
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
It’s called “club racing”, you may have heard of it?
Er, that was my point. Shall I spell it out more clearly for you next time
Old 1 May 2020, 13:55 (Ref:3973965)   #58
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
A group of enthusiasts towing their own old cars to race together on a circuit? wives with packed lunches and mates with tool boxes?

It'll never catch on!
So it was you who beat me to that picture on eBay, was it?
Old 1 May 2020, 14:45 (Ref:3973971)   #59
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a great picture, but I don't think Moss was ever your average club racer
Old 1 May 2020, 14:56 (Ref:3973974)   #60
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
[QUOTE=ascarracinguk;3973951]Ummmm how would running the event without spectators mean that you are an unwelcome inconvenience?

/QUOTE]

That's obvious surely , if I cannot attend in person - especially as I have already paid to do so. Events like the Classic aren't staged , nor do drivers race, to keep people in work ,that is incidental . And holding a spectator free event would involve massive cuts in employment opportunity for others in any case , so let;'s not get too precious about preserving jobs eh ?

No Classic would have taken place without the massive income from spectator attendance .

I may not be alone, however, in having attended events where grid sizes led me to believe that the drivers had been prevented from turning up.
Old 1 May 2020, 14:58 (Ref:3973975)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not to mention that he'd had his big one at Goodwood by the time the Cortina Estate was produced.
Old 1 May 2020, 16:02 (Ref:3973981)   #62
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:

It'll never catch on!
I hadn't realised he has M7 as well as SM7

Must be worth a fortune.
Old 1 May 2020, 16:16 (Ref:3973985)   #63
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what happened to the one-off Cortina Coupe that was built for Stirling Moss by Harold Radford?
Old 3 May 2020, 10:36 (Ref:3974227)   #64
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Ogle one ? It was found in NZ I think ? whether it was his one or another one I don't know.
https://www.viennaautoshow2018.com/2...moss-pictured/

I think the No plate has been doctored on that photo. and I had no idea re ebay, I don't do stuff like that. just googled it.
Old 3 May 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3974229)   #65
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
The Ogle one ? It was found in NZ I think ? whether it was his one or another one I don't know.
https://www.viennaautoshow2018.com/2...moss-pictured/

I think the No plate has been doctored on that photo. and I had no idea re ebay, I don't do stuff like that. just googled it.
That's the one. The photos were taken in Radford's workshops.
Old 13 May 2020, 20:49 (Ref:3975975)   #66
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just had an email from the organisers. A decision on the event's future will be made at the end if May. There are three options:

1. A socially distanced event in the original date
2. Postponement then run as above
3. Cancellation

Good luck to them!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 14 May 2020, 05:40 (Ref:3976009)   #67
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I wasn't certain what to make of that. Basically it said nothing new and created more confusion.
Old 14 May 2020, 07:18 (Ref:3976027)   #68
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I wasn't certain what to make of that. Basically it said nothing new and created more confusion.

We've heard enough of that already recently.
Old 14 May 2020, 07:23 (Ref:3976029)   #69
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure where this is going ?
The point being made is that the only way Festival will be allowed is no spectators?
It’s not going to happen as the promotors do it for profit not charity and that can’t happen without punters
I may have missed something but that’s my age!
Old 14 May 2020, 08:38 (Ref:3976047)   #70
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The update in full.

Keeping you up to date

We hope you are well and that you are managing to keep yourself and your family as safe as possible during these difficult times for us all.

It is an unprecedented set of challenges that we navigate our way through and with COVID-19 developments unfolding over the last few months, we have been closely following all the updates and advice given by the UK Government and other public bodies.

We were last in contact with you at the end of March about this summer’s Silverstone Classic so we wanted to get in touch with the latest status. It’s very much been an evolving picture for us all.

We are paying close attention to the developments with regard to the Government’s COVID-19 roadmap and, in consultation with their Recovery Strategy, we are currently evaluating a number of options for this year’s event. These include:

1. Holding the event on its currently scheduled dates with Government approved changes to how we run elements of the Classic to ensure a safe, socially distanced festival. In this scenario, we would extend the Early Bird offer and the option to book Car Club Display packages for a further period.
2. Postponing the Silverstone Classic from its current scheduled dates with changes to how we run elements of the event to ensure a safe, socially distanced festival. In this scenario, we would extend the Early Bird offer and the option to book Car Club Display packages for a further period.
3. Cancelling this year’s Silverstone Classic. In this scenario, one of your options would be to carry your ticket over to the 2021 event.
We will make a decision on this year’s Silverstone Classic by the end of May and will be back in touch then with details of all the options available to you. Please bear with us over the next few weeks; in these challenging times, we would like to give you every available option and ensure we find a solution that is suitable for you.

Our priority at all times is the safety and wellbeing of those attending our events as well as our own team and our thanks go to all of you for your continued patience amid this period of great uncertainty.

All the best,
The Silverstone Classic Team
Old 14 May 2020, 08:47 (Ref:3976049)   #71
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not convinced that any event involving large numbers of spectators is going to be possible until there is a vaccine, but that’s just a very amateur opinion.
Old 14 May 2020, 08:51 (Ref:3976051)   #72
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
https://www.autosport.com/historics/...ot-run-in-2020

The FIA is considering whether to run its historic championships in 2020 due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

In an open letter Paolo Cantarella, the President of the FIA Historic Motor Sport Commission, says that a decision on whether to push ahead or cancel the 2020 championships will be made by the end of June at the latest.

The FIA Masters Historic Formula One and FIA Masters Historic Sports Car Championships have only three events left on the current calendar, starting at the Silverstone Classic (31 July-2 August) before races at Zandvoort and Spa in September.
Old 14 May 2020, 08:51 (Ref:3976052)   #73
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not convinced that any event involving large numbers of spectators is going to be possible until there is a vaccine, but that’s just a very amateur opinion.
Another amateur totally agrees with you
Old 14 May 2020, 09:38 (Ref:3976067)   #74
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Autosport reporting that latest F1 calendar has races at Silverstone 26 July and 2 August, the latter being the weekend of the Classic.
Old 14 May 2020, 09:49 (Ref:3976072)   #75
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Especially an event where a large part of the 'show' is put on by other attendees (ie. people turning up in their classic cars and displaying them) - let alone needing unpaid racers and marshals to turn up as well.