Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Dec 2013, 01:55 (Ref:3345747)   #76
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The risk for V8SA is that they may have traded more money up front for much less long term exposure which is a big turn off for sponsors not to mention the 80% of the population that doesn't have pay TV.
I think thats it right there.

V8SA and the teams have been bleeding all year and they have made a decision to get take an increased revenue stream up front in order to get funds to the teams.

This is a short term benefit that may have long term implications for sponsorships etc

Potentially similar to the TEGA agreeing to decrease their profit share from 75% to 35% and then complain 12 months later when they recieved a reduced/non existent dividend :rolleyes
Old 19 Dec 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3345754)   #77
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek View Post
Where is this promise, particularly the ad free part
Quote:
FOX SPORTS CEO, Patrick Delany, said: “V8 Supercars have a proud history of innovation. We relish the opportunity to work with talented V8 Supercars race teams and the team at V8 Supercars TV to give the sport the FOX SPORTS treatment – every minute of practice, qualifying, support categories and the Championship races – all LIVE and in stunning HD.
^^^
Old 19 Dec 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3345763)   #78
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My beef with Foxtel has always been how they pick and choose the 'packages' so if you want the popular channels you have to pay for 80 channels of other **** you don't want. For a hundred bucks+ a month Torrenting looks good...
Old 19 Dec 2013, 02:48 (Ref:3345764)   #79
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
My beef with Foxtel has always been how they pick and choose the 'packages' so if you want the popular channels you have to pay for 80 channels of other **** you don't want. For a hundred bucks+ a month Torrenting looks good...
Hence why Rupert has gotten his mate Mr Broadband Mal to give you some pos NBN so you're forced into getting his Foxtel or staying on some crappy slow broadband
Old 19 Dec 2013, 04:28 (Ref:3345788)   #80
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
^^^
Ok, fair assumption to make I guess given the every minute part. I guess my skepticism is because it isn't spelt out exactly that it is going to be ad-free. I hope it is ad-free I hate the fact that pay tv has almost as many ads as fta tv
Old 19 Dec 2013, 05:15 (Ref:3345794)   #81
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My take on this is that it will be this:
1) All the marquee races (streets + enduros) will be shown live on FTA with the street races all twilights.
2) The supersprint rounds will have a combination of highlights or delayed races in a condensed 2 hour package on each day leading into the news on FTA but be shown live on Fox.
3) Fox will show every session of every round live, plus support races.

For those saying that Foxtel are the lead broadcaster - you'd be correct. Which is the same with NRL & AFL deals - the bulk of the money for those deals comes from Fox, not FTA.

It's a good deal for fans as you can get much more V8s if you want to pay for it and, probably, marginally less but more conveniently broadcast on FTA.

For those knocking Channel 7 - I remember most people saying that they were glad that C7 got the rights all those years ago because they were sick of C10!

C7 definitely improved the quality over C10, but I think C10 will again lift it even higher. When networks get new rights they tend to put a big effort in to put their own stamp on it.

Commentary - unsure but there are a few near-as-definites:
Greg Rust will host (replacing Matt White)
Neil Crompton as the lead commentator
Daryl Beattie (probably in the pits)

I hope
Aaron Noonan, either pits or as third commentator. He would add something different.
Mark Larkham - I'm a bit ambivalent, but he does what he does quite well.

Please no:
Mark Skaife - I was a fan when he first started, but he's not developed, is repetitive and annoying. He offers nothing that Crompton can't and Noonan would provide a better variety of comments.
Russell Ingall - We don't need more old boys having a laugh and getting into commentary cause it's easy money (see Mark Skaife). We need genuine experts who are willing to put the effort in and be 100% committed (see Aaron Noonan).

I don't have PayTV, but one of the good things is that I can go to a pub and watch the V8s live - which I can't do now.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 05:37 (Ref:3345798)   #82
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still repeat though that giving the TV and online rights to the one company has to be anti-competitive... There's NO way you're going to be able to just buy V8s streaming on its own without a Foxtel sub now.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3345845)   #83
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The SportsPro View
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Dec 2013, 10:00 (Ref:3345852)   #84
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing really new in that article. Same questions with no answes
Old 19 Dec 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3345861)   #85
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Be interesting to see how series and team sponsors react to the news. I can see some staying, but others eg Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Armorall, Supercheap, STP, Coates Hire, BOC, Bottle-O being not too happy with less coverage on FTA Channel 10, if indeed it turns out that way. I've never had FOXTEL, so I don't know if any of these organizations advertise on FOX already. It just doesn't seem like a good network to get maximum exposure, to the demographic that they are aiming at.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3345901)   #86
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't be getting Foxtel, so I guess from 2015 I won't be watching as much V8 Supercars.

I wonder if Ch10 will delay the races by 2 or 3 days like they do with the NSC chase races.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3346118)   #87
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto71 View Post
I won't be getting Foxtel, so I guess from 2015 I won't be watching as much V8 Supercars.

I wonder if Ch10 will delay the races by 2 or 3 days like they do with the NSC chase races.
I think you will find you are probably watching just as much, however not all of it will be live
Old 19 Dec 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3346123)   #88
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope that Foxtel and 10 have different commentary teams so that it will be possible to avoid Mark Skaife.I know he is a big part of the V8SA gravy train but his blokey inside joke style of commentary is only amusing to his close friends and not informative at all.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3346138)   #89
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It's interesting to note that V8 Supercar’s TV production costs are $18 million per year, that means they only net $4 million per annum from the current Channel 7 deal, as opposed to circa $13 million with the new deal.

Probably about $200,000 p.a. gross for each 32 licences from 2015. I suppose it may pay for crash damage for the year at least.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3346140)   #90
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto71 View Post

Introductory offers aside, Foxtel is rather expensive. However, you also get other car and car racing programs including the New Zealand V8 Super Tourers, albeit delayed. Also the World Rally Championship, which is seriously delayed.

The best thing is IndyCar live (although I record it for later viewing).
Old 19 Dec 2013, 23:46 (Ref:3346144)   #91
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Commentary - unsure but there are a few near-as-definites:
Greg Rust will host (replacing Matt White)
Neil Crompton as the lead commentator
Daryl Beattie (probably in the pits)

I hope
Aaron Noonan, either pits or as third commentator. He would add something different.
Mark Larkham - I'm a bit ambivalent, but he does what he does quite well.

Please no:
Mark Skaife - I was a fan when he first started, but he's not developed, is repetitive and annoying. He offers nothing that Crompton can't and Noonan would provide a better variety of comments.
Russell Ingall - We don't need more old boys having a laugh and getting into commentary cause it's easy money (see Mark Skaife). We need genuine experts who are willing to put the effort in and be 100% committed (see Aaron Noonan).
This gets my vote just on case anyone is reading this has an influence on the decision
Old 20 Dec 2013, 01:36 (Ref:3346162)   #92
Chubby1
Rookie

Chubby1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
This gets my vote just on case anyone is reading this has an influence on the decision
+ 1 I really liked Skaife in the box at the start but now I find him annoying and way to biased. Maybe a job as publicity manager at 888 would be a better fit if there is no drive going there for him.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 04:39 (Ref:3346193)   #93
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
Also the World Rally Championship, which is seriously delayed.
Seriously delayed?

Speed were showing live stages in the second half of the season, and the daily reviews were played on our TVs within 12hours of the final stage that day being run.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3346250)   #94
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Seriously delayed?

Speed were showing live stages in the second half of the season, and the daily reviews were played on our TVs within 12hours of the final stage that day being run.
I didn't notice any live stages. They kept that a good secret if that's the case.

I know it's probably unavoidable due to the logistics, but I call 12 hours after the event has finished seriously delayed for the full wrap-up. 9 times out of 10 I'd already accidentally read the results on the web. Although halfway through the season the winner was pretty inevitable anyway. A grim year for the WRC...
Old 20 Dec 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3346278)   #95
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I still repeat though that giving the TV and online rights to the one company has to be anti-competitive... There's NO way you're going to be able to just buy V8s streaming on its own without a Foxtel sub now.
As someone living outside Australia who currently uses the V8 Superview product, this does concern me
Old 20 Dec 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3346424)   #96
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
As someone living outside Australia who currently uses the V8 Superview product, this does concern me
does it cost outside Australia?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 01:14 (Ref:3346814)   #97
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter McKays opinion here http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorspo...221-2zrto.html
Now whether you agree with McKay or not, I think there is an interesting comparison to be had with the Big Bash League, that this weekend TEN have started showing. Apparently the ratings have been pretty good! Never having had PayTV, and not being a fan of the 20/20 form of the game, it hasn't interested me, but I've watched the first two games and have been impressed enough to follow it. Not enough that I would pay for it though!
From what I can gather, this has been previously shown on PAYTV and has gone the other way with fta ch10, so it remains to be seen what the V8SC media format of going FTA towards PAYTV will result in.
It's easy enough for people to say they won't watch it, but that's the whole premise of pay television. If you want to see it you will pay to do so.
The main problem that I have with FOX, that others agree with, is that you are paying for a multitude of rubbish stations that I am not interested in. I just don't see the value. I like the V8's and will continue to follow whatever live events we get in the future, but certainly won't be paying to watch it.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 05:53 (Ref:3346834)   #98
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No more Mark Berretta
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 23 Dec 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3347173)   #99
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I'll just watch what I can and forget the rest.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 01:45 (Ref:3347457)   #100
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The most interesting part of the McKay article is that he seems to have definite info about the 10 component of the deal.It appears that they will have a similar level of coverage to that shown by 7 for 6 events(Bathurst,Adelaide,Homebush,Gold Coast,Townsville and Albert Park if it becomes a Championship round).For all other rounds they will show a 1 hour highlights program on Saturday and Sunday probably at 6pm after news.