Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Nov 2002, 12:58 (Ref:428450)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just met MURRAY WALKER!

Just seen him at the WH Smiths in Nottingham, as part of the book tour. The queue was huge, even early on (I got there at 12, he was scheduled from 12.30-1.30 and the queue was at least 100, once I got mine signed another 100+ had arrived, and all by 12.45).

I asked him what he thought of the new regs, and he said he was plesased with the ones they've done, he likes the diea of the new points system and the one-shot qualifying, and was please that 'the sillier ideas put forward' (read 'driver swapping) weren't done.

Seems like he is indeed the really nice bloke everyone says.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 13:00 (Ref:428452)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I saw him too, about 2 weeks ago, asked him to sign my book "to Ben" but he refused, - the git.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 23:07 (Ref:428837)   #3
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw someone that could talk more than Murray!!AND make more mistakes!!!
Me mum.(but when she talks people line up to get away lol)
Old 14 Nov 2002, 23:39 (Ref:428863)   #4
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That’s great that you guys met Murray.

Has anyone read his book yet? What did you think? I was thinking of buying it, but then I read a few opinions and discovered there'd probably be a lot in there that wouldn't hold my interest.

I was never really one of the 'Murray is God' groupies, even though growing up with him, he was like a granddad that you only saw/heard(back in the beeb days) every other Sunday afternoon. I'd like to hear about his experiences in F1, with team bosses, fellow commentators and the drivers - especially Mansell, Senna, Prost, Piquet etc... But I'm not so keen on finding out about his life story and everything he's done away from racing.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 23:51 (Ref:428872)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It really is a very good read, such a full and interesting life he has lead. His wartime experiences through to some often hilarious circumstances with James Hunt and also with Bernie Ecclestone.
I'm probably biased though 'cos he gives me a little mention in it for the painting I did for him!
Old 15 Nov 2002, 01:07 (Ref:428906)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hey paint the preston road rally, just lots of shades of brown, mud, drivers pants, mud, navigators pants, mud oh and did I mention the mud?
Old 15 Nov 2002, 08:06 (Ref:429005)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've read it and found it to be quite fascinating how much he's done in his life - so much more than most people.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 09:16 (Ref:429019)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I've read it too, and to me the overwhelming impression is of a thoroughly nice guy. I have not always been a fan of his, but he truly deserves his success for the dedication and hard work. He doesnt have a bad work to say about anyone.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 09:21 (Ref:429021)   #9
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
I saw him too, about 2 weeks ago, asked him to sign my book "to Ben" but he refused, - the git.
I trust you trying to be funny. If it was a book signing you met Murray at then if it was a large queue then there is no real time to do anything personal. From my experience, he would normally give you the time, but a large line of people wanting your autograph is enough to make you want to just get through it.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 09:43 (Ref:429024)   #10
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It’s amazing how much admiration the masses have in someone so inept.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 11:06 (Ref:429072)   #11
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yes...but we got rid of thatcher eventually.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 13:16 (Ref:429181)   #12
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Alchemy, Murray Walker is not inept, could you do any better?

He has a vast array of knowledge of F1, modern and historic. What does happen is that in his excitement, and it is just that, he makes a small error. To me that was part of the enjoyment of watching the races.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 13:33 (Ref:429190)   #13
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good old "Muddly Talker"
Old 15 Nov 2002, 14:01 (Ref:429218)   #14
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
He has a vast array of knowledge of F1, modern and historic. What does happen is that in his excitement, and it is just that, he makes a small error. To me that was part of the enjoyment of watching the races.
Now it's clear..., he's not inept, he's oral disfunctional.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 14:19 (Ref:429237)   #15
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Alchemy, Murray Walker is not inept, could you do any better?

Jasongore, whether I could or could not do better than Murray is hardly the issue. If you’re saying no one can comment on any ones ability do anything unless they can do better themselves, then 10 tenths would die! I doubt if many on here could match virtually any current F1 pilots ability, but it doesn’t stop us having the occasional pop at them. And a good job too I say. Its called ‘freedom of speech’.

As regards Murray having a vast array of knowledge of F1, I suggest you listen to Watson or even Brundle. If you enjoy small errors like "Oh look his front wheel is locked on!" When in reality the cars rear suspension had collapsed on one side. The fact the car was doing something like a 150 mph without a trace of smoke from this so called ‘locked on’ front wheel, indicates he’s knowledge is in fact far from ‘vast’.

But of course you are entitled to your views.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 19:33 (Ref:429455)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I trust you trying to be funny. If it was a book signing you met Murray at then if it was a large queue then there is no real time to do anything personal. From my experience, he would normally give you the time, but a large line of people wanting your autograph is enough to make you want to just get through it.
No I am not.

Yes there was a huge queue, but people were stopping him asking for pictures to be taken - people were standing there for AGES trying to sort their camera out, then people were standing there talking to him for minutes on end.
All I wanted to do was say, "Hi Murray, how are you" etc and have the book signed "To Ben" would have taken 6 seconds to write.
Wasn't impressed.

Last edited by Sodemo; 15 Nov 2002 at 19:35.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 13:41 (Ref:431310)   #17
jase
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by alchemy
Jasongore, whether I could or could not do better than Murray is hardly the issue. If you’re saying no one can comment on any ones ability do anything unless they can do better themselves, then 10 tenths would die! I doubt if many on here could match virtually any current F1 pilots ability, but it doesn’t stop us having the occasional pop at them. And a good job too I say. Its called ‘freedom of speech’.
I'm not saying anything like that, every one it seems is eager to say how bad Murray is, in my post i was trying to put an opposing point of view to yours. If you can't see that, tough! and don't even start me on "Freedom of Speech" issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by alchemy
As regards Murray having a vast array of knowledge of F1, I suggest you listen to Watson or even Brundle. If you enjoy small errors like "Oh look his front wheel is locked on!" When in reality the cars rear suspension had collapsed on one side. The fact the car was doing something like a 150 mph without a trace of smoke from this so called ‘locked on’ front wheel, indicates he’s knowledge is in fact far from ‘vast’.
Try having watched MW on F1 broadcasts regularly since the mid 80's and occasionally before then. MW has been involved in motorsport for a very long time. His knowledge of the sports history is legendry for on the spot insight. OK he makes a gaff or two. Better that the PC ******* who partnered between Hunt and Brundle. Brundle is a natural successor to MW. Wattie is a monotone, very boring to listen to.

As for whether seeing if a wheel is locked on or suspension has failed thats called observation, suggest you learn definition of linguistics, in the heat of the moment one thing can look like another before rationalisation sets in.

But you are correct in one thing you are entitled to your views.[/B][/QUOTE]
Old 18 Nov 2002, 13:45 (Ref:431314)   #18
jase
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
No I am not.

Yes there was a huge queue, but people were stopping him asking for pictures to be taken - people were standing there for AGES trying to sort their camera out, then people were standing there talking to him for minutes on end.
All I wanted to do was say, "Hi Murray, how are you" etc and have the book signed "To Ben" would have taken 6 seconds to write.
Wasn't impressed.
Some celebs don't give out personalised autographs, and if you had stood there queuing for so long and not gotten it when others got photo's I feel sorry for you, but the fact is his assistance, and I presume there were some, shoulda been on the ball more.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 13:58 (Ref:431328)   #19
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
lets settle this quickly with a show of hands...

gaffes and mistakes of murray walker

or

slick professionalism of james allen
Old 18 Nov 2002, 14:07 (Ref:431337)   #20
jase
Veteran

Murray by a LONG chalk
Old 18 Nov 2002, 14:26 (Ref:431346)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Murray esily beats James Allen, who is dull and sanitised.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 15:10 (Ref:431367)   #22
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen symbolises all that is wrong with society - empty headed, clean cut, let's-please-the-sponsors dross.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 15:28 (Ref:431378)   #23
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray by far....and his book is good too, although I didn't find the bit about his advertising work as interesting as the war bit and of course the motor racing bit.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 15:52 (Ref:431399)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
The book is indeed excellent, but did anyone else notice he mistake where he said that Jackie Stewart and Jack Brabham are the only people to win as a driver and constructor? What about Bruce McLaren?

The stuff about the war is certainly interesting, and all the anecdotes from some of the more minor racing are particualrly entertaining, as are his views on James Hunt. My view of Murray as a pleasant, knowledgable, enthusiastic patriot (but not at the expense of other nations) is reinforced.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 18:56 (Ref:431589)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
The innacuraces in Murray's book continue with the fact that they label 1994 Super Touring Cars as turbo-charged, when they are not at all, they are naturally aspirated. The last turbo cars were 89 or 90.

Last edited by Sodemo; 18 Nov 2002 at 19:02.