Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 1 Apr 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1567114)   #1
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Michael Edick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT 5

Thanks to dereklola, I'm on this quest to find out more about my car
According to Derek, my RT5-196 was sold to Walter Lechner in June or July of 1980. Some how it wound up here in the USA, so I'm trying to fill in the blank areas from 1980 to when I bought it in 1995. Would love to have any info or photo's of Mr. Lechner driving a my RT5 back then. What's really curious is that a fuel cell that's in my car is registered to a car that belonged to Michael Andretti. The fellow I bought the car from said it was an ex-Andretti car, but had no proof...I thought he was just pulling my chain, but now this little wrinkle in the history of the car has shown up! I know race car parts get swapped around all the time, but a fuel cell? I've tried to contact Mr. Lechner thru his racing school's website, with no luck. So, if anyone has any more info on my car, or knows how to contact Mr. Lechner, it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Regards,
Michael Edick
www.mteengineering.com
Old 2 Apr 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1567681)   #2
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael

Welcome. RT5-196 was indeed sold to Lechner in July 1980; perhaps to replace 190 bought in April.
As he doesn't seem to acquire a new one I guess that this is the car he is still using in 1982.
Question, what's the fuel cell number; the tub and the gearbox? The Ralt build records for RT5s have all this detail.
There might be a quite simple explanation. There's another case I know of already in the RT5 records where a shipment was switched and the consignee not changed.

Chris
Old 2 Apr 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1568203)   #3
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Greetings Chris,
My tub number is AM 80/29, the gearbox should be H9 3281, but isn't (no suprize there) and the fuel cell should be JM 27162, but that's not correct either. The fuel cell that came with the car is JM 37341, built in the fourth quarter of 1981. According to Derek Harling who has a build sheet from the Ralt factory (which I would love to have a copy of that page!) that fuel cell JM 37341 is listed as being in car RT5-342 delivered in August 1982 to 'Robertson/Andretti', well after my car was built and shipped to Lechner in July 1980.
Lot's of questions, but good fun! At least I have the original owner pinned down, but would love to fill in the blanks. Did Walter win the 1982 European FSV championship in this car, then shipped it to the USA? Was Michael using this car as part of his effort in 1982? or was it stuffed in the back of a transporter and used for spare parts?
The fellow I bought it from in 1995 said that he got it from VW of America, and they were going to use it as a display car when the series folded, and he was told that this was an ex-Andretti car from the head of VW of America at the time...
Regards,
Michael
Old 5 Apr 2006, 07:13 (Ref:1571127)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guys, not sure this is really ready for in here yet, as we are talking about just the one car! I'm putting this back to the main forum, but obviously if the discussion widens to drawing out the chassis histories of all the RT5s (Allen tells me that records suggest 117 of them!), then we'll put it back in the archive.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1573235)   #5
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Come on, guys!!!

with all those FSV's out there, I can't be the only one interested in their history!
here on the "left coast" in the States, we'll get about 8-10 cars for a vintage event, and have a real good time!
for some reason, the FSV's are treated like a red headed step-child, but talk about your bang for the buck! right now, the market is soft for these cars, but yet they're a lot faster than a FF, stick like glue to the ground, and are a blast to drive...what's not to like?
Old 20 Sep 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1714685)   #6
ClassicComp
Rookie

ClassicComp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT5

Hello i would like to see if any one could help on some chassis info i have in my shop a ralt that is listed as scca number 82-198 and ralt mfg number rt5-336 i only haveone of the log books some one detatched the first one from the second and the records start at 85 and the chassis is a 82 and it ends in 89 the car has sat a long time in pieces please help me find out whos car this is thanks BJ
Old 20 Sep 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1714796)   #7
Adam Ferrington
Racer

Adam Ferrington should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BJ,

RT5-336 was a 1982 SuperVee sold by the works through their US/Can agent Robertson for a driver named Talbot. It was delivered/shipped on 15 July 1982. It had Tub No. 82/218 and Gearbox No. H9 4057.

That's all I have in the Ralt factory list.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1715788)   #8
ClassicComp
Rookie

rt5 info

thanks for your info adam i have done some research and found the owner after the car was a pro car it was C.T. Hancock and Paul Brooks but ther seems to be no info on Rick Talbot witch seems to be the logical driver according to the records you provided the problem is that the delivery date for the car is in july of 82 and he was running a rt5 the whole season and the 83 records do not show him as a driver does that mean the car went some were else the one owner said that it was purchased from mark pivic in cal the anson dealer and was white with a blue stripe that seems to look right when i found the only pic on the web from detroit in 82 but its black and white if any one can she some light on this i wouls appreciate it thanks B.J.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1715942)   #9
Adam Ferrington
Racer

Adam Ferrington should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BJ,

I think what is certain, from the factory list, is that the car was delivered (or began shipping) on 15 July 1982, and that it was sent to Robertson. The works would, I think, simply record the driver for whom Robertson said the car was destined. He may not have been who actually raced it, once it arrived in America (but usually he was).
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1716971)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this may get more views posted in the main forum, and I'll 'stick' it up for a while, too, to keep it at the top.

Interestingly, Michael Edick made a similar request regarding RT5-196, here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...light=Ralt+RT5

Adam, how many RT5's were built? Can we develop this into a chassis history for them?
Old 24 Sep 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1717457)   #11
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Rick Talbot began the 1982 season with an 81 spec RT5; On Track 22 April 82 pp.13-14 describes this on debut at Phoenix as ‘last year’s championship winning car’, so probably RT5/81-242. Debuts an 82 spec car only at Road America 25 July, which makes sense with the Ralt sales record. For Sale in On Track 10 Feb 83 by Mike Talbot is an RT5 82 spec car described as 7 races only, which tallies with the season after Road America.

Can’t find Hancock in an RT5 in pro series, only an Anson in 85/6 so guess this may have run in SCCA as an FB with water cooled VW engine, or FC.

Chris

PS: John I have pretty worked out RT5 histories, but there are more of them than RT4s [over a hundred], be a bit of a job to post, and would want Adam's agreement as they are based on his Ralt records.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 00:55 (Ref:1718035)   #12
dereklola
Racer

dereklola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi BJ
Hope this ties in with the info I gave you.
These guys are awesome aren't they?
Derek
Old 28 Sep 2006, 09:02 (Ref:1721832)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, I've now merged Michael Edick's earlier thread with this one, which of course, means it sits above the newer thread; hope that's OK. I see that Allen Brown had already provided his estimation of the number of RT5s built (wake up at the back, there, Turner!) in the earlier thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend
John I have pretty worked out RT5 histories, but there are more of them than RT4s [over a hundred], be a bit of a job to post, and would want Adam's agreement as they are based on his Ralt records.
Adam, are you able to agree Chris's suggestion (........... please!)?

Chris, it is a large number but if you are prepared to do it, that would be excellent. To make it easier to do (and for us to read and absorb!), could you not do it in stages and in separate posts, in chunks that would suit you (again ..... please)?
Old 1 Oct 2006, 01:22 (Ref:1724021)   #14
ClassicComp
Rookie

Chris that info seems to peice together the history for talbots racing career the car somehow got to the anson dealer in cal and was bought and run in scca as a fsv by hancock at the big races ie clevland meadowlands detroit and it ws run at club races by paul brookes his size ws aparently why they beat the ******** out of the inside of the tub to fitt him in so all of the fuel cell and chassis numbers incuding a phone call to mark bauner about a repair to the right front corner all seem to be falling into place just would like to know when car was sold and if anyone has any way of finding mark pivic or does he not want to be found 83-85 that is the question?
Old 1 Oct 2006, 03:19 (Ref:1724039)   #15
ClassicComp
Rookie

Chris after reading your post again and having another brain twinj it hit me the article claims that talbot drove unsers 81 championship car in the begining of the season then changing to my car 5/336 for the rest of the season he did okay with the car scoring 5th in season ending points if you could look at the clasified section again and give me the phone nuber and area code i can start to figure out were the car was in the country and try to do some research thatway thanks BJ
Old 10 Oct 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1734599)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Adam/Chris, have we lost you both or are you still thinking about!
Old 11 Oct 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1734787)   #17
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Sorry John, just about to move house and still trying to finish a book!
Hope to get around to RT5 [and RT4] in a few weeks

Chris
Old 11 Oct 2006, 07:47 (Ref:1734809)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
No, I'm sorry Chris; I should have realised that you have a life outside Ten Tenths Hope the move goes well, and look forward to post when you are ready!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1738259)   #19
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Before posting what I know on RT5 I wondered if there are people out there who can help with gaps in the information. There are a few chassis where I don't know first user or owner, only that the car was sold via Ralt's American agent, Brian Robertson.

193 delivered to Psachie Racing 16 June 1980
195 delivered to Psachie Racing 22 Aug 1980
One of these two has to be the car run late 1980 by Roger Penske Jr

362 delivered to Robertson 14 Jan 83
363 delivered to Robertson 1 Feb 83
364 delivered to Roberston 31 Jan 83
365 delivered to Robertson 3 Feb 83
366 delivered to Robertson 6 Feb 83
419 delivered to Robertson some point in 83
421 delivered to Robertson some point in 83
423 delivered to Robertson some point in 83
436 delivered to Robertson October 83

447 delivered to Robertson 5 Jan 84
458 delivered to Robertson 26 Jan 84

Any owners or observers?

Chris
Old 2 Nov 2006, 06:33 (Ref:1755911)   #20
Bob Micheletti
Rookie

United States
Simi Valley, CA
Bob Micheletti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rt-5 5-201

I have car #5-201 with all logbooks starting with 9-18-1980. Logbooks are #80-032. I was told this car was run by Pete Halsmer/Arciero the end of 80 and all of 81. I believe this coincides with his switch from an RT-1 to an RT-5. In 82 when Michael Andretti joined Arcero supposedly he drove this car until his 82 arrived. The car was teched at 9 pro races in 82 but may have been a back up car at the later races. It was then sold to Ted Prappas/Mike Curb who ran it in a few races in 83-84. After that it became a West Coast regional car. Any info to back up this story would be greatly appreciated. I can list all of the dates and tracks in the logbooks if that is of any interest to anyone.

I am about to do a full restoration and race it in Vintage races on the West Coast.

Bob Micheletti
SoCal
Old 2 Nov 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1756039)   #21
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Bob

I think that everything you say about the history of 201 is right and can be verified, or at least inferred, from other contemporary sources and the build record. The only thing I'd add is that Mike Follmer ran this car at Long Beach in 85, and the press says it was still owned by Arceiro, so I'm not sure about the deal with Ted Prappas and Mike Curb, though I'm sure Prappas ran it. See On Track 13 May 85 p. 28. Along with the Andretti/Luyendijk/Cobb car yours must be one of the most historic of RT5s
Old 2 Nov 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1756606)   #22
Bob Micheletti
Rookie

United States
Simi Valley, CA
Rt-5 201

Thanks for the quick response and great news Chris. I have been collecting magazines and programs from the early 80’s to learn more about the history of this car. I am also trying to find some good color photos so I can dress the car in the livery of it’s former glory days. There is no entry in the logbook for Long Beach in 85 but that of course doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. The logbooks are consistent up to 84 then become sporadic picking up again as a club car in 87. What magazines had good coverage of Super Vee racing in those days? I have found many of the programs from the races it ran but there is not much info or pictures in them. They are of course dominated by the primary event for the weekend.

Every “silver lining has a cloud” … The Ralt tag is no longer on the car. The story I got was that Dennis Firestone damaged the tub in a testing run in 84. Marc Bahner did the repair and it has his tag. I haven’t taken it apart yet so I don’t have a cell number. Where is the Arch Motors number located? (in case that part was not replaced)

Regards,
Bob Micheletti
Old 2 Nov 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1756618)   #23
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Bob

If it's any help H93543 was the original gearbox, and JM27174 the fuel cell. The AM number would have been on the tub.
If you have FSV programmes from the 80s [or indeed Atlantic, though they didn't run together often, and Formula SCCA] I'd really appreciate scans or copies of the entry lists.

The best mag for coverage of FSV in the 80s by far is On Track.

Chris
Old 3 Nov 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1757128)   #24
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And there's a mass of On Tracks on ebay at the moment.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 05:03 (Ref:1782168)   #25
Bob Micheletti
Rookie

United States
Simi Valley, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend
Bob

I think that everything you say about the history of 201 is right and can be verified, or at least inferred, from other contemporary sources and the build record. The only thing I'd add is that Mike Follmer ran this car at Long Beach in 85, and the press says it was still owned by Arceiro, so I'm not sure about the deal with Ted Prappas and Mike Curb, though I'm sure Prappas ran it. See On Track 13 May 85 p. 28. Along with the Andretti/Luyendijk/Cobb car yours must be one of the most historic of RT5s

Chris,

Thanks for the copies from On Track. That is defiantly the best coverage I have seen. The car Mike Follmer drove in 85 would have been the 1982 car driven by Michael Andretti to the 82 championship. I believe he received this car mid season (QUOTE from Derek Harling? see Micheal Edick's car 5-196 on David Fleshers SV register; "RT5-342 delivered in August 1982 to 'Robertson/Andretti'. Since Michael won the US SV championship title that year presumably this was a replacement car."). My car 5-201 (1980) I believe was used in the races, by Michael, up to the delivery of his 82 car "342". The On Track article you sent me (May 13, 85 P28) says "Mike Follmer'e gritty drive into 14th place marked the final race of the distinguished career of the Arciero Racing's '82 Ralt, the car that Michael Andretti drove to the 1982 Bosch/VW title. Following Long Beach the car was to be taken back to the Arciero shop where it will be repainted in it’s '82 colors and put on permanent display in the Arciero offices." Arciero has an RT-5 in the showroom of his winery near Paso Robles California. I will check the chassis plate the next time I go by there but I suspect it is 342. I have seen the car and it has a plaque describing it as the Andretti car but I never thought to check the plate. Now I need to find the On Track's from 1982. If any one can help I would be deeply indebted and happy to pay for the copies and postage.

Sorry for another loooooooong post,

Bob Micheletti
1980 RT-5 201
1966 Diva Vlakre