Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 1 Jan 2012, 23:32 (Ref:3006285)   #401
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Incorrect Armco installation and Armco lifting out of the ground respectively. Neither recorded as driving Dallaras.

I meant the problem you implied of a Dallara piercing Armco.
What I am saying is that it could be a problem. Armco is not indestructible. You fire an open wheel car into something at 150 mph there is going to be some sort of forces involved. It's not my opinion but from what I learned from those that deal with those issues directly when I asked about it. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 2 Jan 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3006315)   #402
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember the F1 drivers in the 1975 Spanish GP going on strike because the ARMCO barriers had not been bolted together properly.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 17:16 (Ref:3008245)   #403
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now it appears that Indycar may have thier season finale this year on a street course in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

I just cannot get excited about another street course, enough already. You have a perfectly good oval down there at Homestead-Miami, put the finale there, the series needs more ovals. The finale would be the weekend of September 28th-30th.

On one good note, The Milwaukee Mile may be back on this year's schedule in June.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3008261)   #404
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
Now it appears that Indycar may have thier season finale this year on a street course in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

I just cannot get excited about another street course, enough already. You have a perfectly good oval down there at Homestead-Miami, put the finale there, the series needs more ovals. The finale would be the weekend of September 28th-30th.

On one good note, The Milwaukee Mile may be back on this year's schedule in June.
South Florida in Late September, you cannot script this scheduling any better. They obviously know nothing about the Tropical Hurricane Season. Its not as stupid as it would have been Late August/Early September but last year on October 1st, there was a Tropical 4 Hurricane in the Atlantic, although it did not hit Florida or Land.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3008302)   #405
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post

If they run it the weekend after Indy like they used to and promote it properly then hopefully it won't be the disaster it was last year.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3008311)   #406
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If they run it the weekend after Indy like they used to and promote it properly then hopefully it won't be the disaster it was last year.
They can't run it the weekend after Indy...That's where Detroit is on the schedule.

They are looking at June 17, if it can happen. After Texas and before Iowa.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Jan 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3008313)   #407
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
They can't run it the weekend after Indy...That's where Detroit is on the schedule.

They are looking at June 17, if it can happen. After Texas and before Iowa.
Why not swap Detroit for Milwaukee?
Old 6 Jan 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3008380)   #408
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Detroit is a temporary course; you can't just go around swapping its date. It just doesn't work that way.

As for Homestead, it has been the season finale on a couple of occasions, and it didn't draw well enough. Also, the banking there is steep enough that there will be concerns about it in the wake of Las Vegas.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 23:29 (Ref:3008420)   #409
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The Texas race is just going to be a stand alone. That's a smart move in a sea of madness.

I've said it before, they get crowds if the race takes place in the middle of the city. They don't tend to get crowds if the crowd has to trouble themselves by going through turnstiles. They go off and do something else. Some of the best racing took place on ovals. What I'm saying is that it is a more fundamental problem with the series than the markets alleged rejection of ovals.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3008536)   #410
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Empty grandstands is a pretty definitive allegation.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3008627)   #411
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Detroit is a temporary course; you can't just go around swapping its date. It just doesn't work that way.

As for Homestead, it has been the season finale on a couple of occasions, and it didn't draw well enough. Also, the banking there is steep enough that there will be concerns about it in the wake of Las Vegas.
I know it's temporary but are plans that far down the road, the date can't can't be changed?

As is it I personally think the rejection of ovals is in part a knee jerk reaction to the tragic events in Las Vegas.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3008713)   #412
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Las Vegas street race is too expensive; they want the season to end on a street course in Ft. Lauderdale in 2012 if it can, but if not then, they will aim for 2013.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3008714)   #413
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
As is it I personally think the rejection of ovals is in part a knee jerk reaction to the tragic events in Las Vegas.
I would agree that it is, indeed, that way in part. But that will resolve itself; once they can figure out a formula for oval racing that will not lead to the potential for fatality/serious injury, that will all pass.

What won't pass is the fact no one goes to the oval races, and that Kentucky got 115,000 television viewers, leaving it's TV ratings behind the number of people who actually showed up and attended the Daytona 500 or Indy 500.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3008776)   #414
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
I would agree that it is, indeed, that way in part. But that will resolve itself; once they can figure out a formula for oval racing that will not lead to the potential for fatality/serious injury, that will all pass.

What won't pass is the fact no one goes to the oval races, and that Kentucky got 115,000 television viewers, leaving it's TV ratings behind the number of people who actually showed up and attended the Daytona 500 or Indy 500.
They obviously need to target the market, as far as ovals go. I don't see why IndyCar doesn't go back and look at what was succesful about AOWR. It's there. There was a good balance of ovals, road courses and street races at one point in time. Then again the cars were designed to deal with the different tracks.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 02:37 (Ref:3008823)   #415
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm worried that nobody is mentioning viewing rates in canada, Latin America and elsewhere. When we had it on ESPN, I'm sure the viewership was decent this side of the river.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 05:52 (Ref:3008844)   #416
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The interesting thing about permanent road courses is that there really were only ever four of them on the calendar. For a long time, it was Portland, Mid Ohio, Road America, and Laguna Seca. Prior to that grouping coming about in 1984, there were brief stints at Watkins Glen, Riverside, and Mexico City in the early years of CART.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 16:57 (Ref:3010789)   #417
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like Milwaukee will be on this year's schedule. That is finally some good news for the schedule.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3010792)   #418
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not good news. Awesome news
Old 13 Jan 2012, 11:34 (Ref:3011114)   #419
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would be great news indeed!
Old 13 Jan 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3011259)   #420
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
I hope they can find a way to make it work. Been a lot of dicking around with that race and some continuity would be nice. Milwaukee is exactly the kind of oval Indy needs to be on, in my opinion, because it really challenges the drivers and creates real, legitimate passing.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3011341)   #421
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy 500

Cannot believe it. I am going to the Indy 500 this May.

Done all the other classic races but not this one.

Cannot wait ...
Old 14 Jan 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3011441)   #422
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post

Cannot wait ...
Me too! It will be my first time outside of Europe, let alone first time in the USA. Should be fun.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 02:29 (Ref:3011776)   #423
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post

Cannot wait ...
I was going to go but with that excuse for a race car it has really changed my mind.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 03:10 (Ref:3011779)   #424
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
In 2015, the race is on my birthday... let me day dream a bit
Old 16 Jan 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3012194)   #425
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We must meet up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Me too! It will be my first time outside of Europe, let alone first time in the USA. Should be fun.