Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Oct 2007, 08:04 (Ref:2044311)   #1
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Patrick Fletche has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Best of the rest 2008

So McMerc and the donkeys will be 1-2 again.
But who next?
This year it has been BMW, but there are a lot of teams that could knock them off their perch.

Renault. Any team is at the front with Alonso. Just look at the change he brought to McLaren's fortunes. Back at Renault he could recover their form.

Red Bull. The car is going to be better. But are the drivers up to it?

Williams. Lots of rumours that they are pulling their finger out big style next year. In a good car Rosberg will really shine.

Honda. In 2006 they had a winning car. They have employed a lot of good people and thrown lots of money at repeating this in 2008. Button will get the best out of TC being banned.

So what do you reckon the pecking order will be?
Old 19 Oct 2007, 08:49 (Ref:2044341)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Based on this year's performances, I'd say BMW will still be the leading team after McLaren and Ferrari, but it all depends on how good the teams are at adapting their cars (and how good the drivers are at adapting) to life without traction control. I'd like to see Honda give Button a car that will let him show how good he is without the help of electronic gadgets as well, because it doesn't matter how good he is, if the car is like this year's he won't get any results of note.

The thing I would like to see the most - whether it'll happen or not remains to be seen - is the other teams closing the gap to the top two to the point where they can realistically win races on a regular basis.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 19 Oct 2007, 09:04 (Ref:2044348)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ferrari and McLaren will set the pace one again.

As for challengers, I genuinely expect BMW to be even nearer the front next year - it'll just be a case of can their current drivers make the most of it and get their first wins?

Renault will also be more competitive, Alonso and Heikki will make a damn strong line up - the equal of any other pairing in on the entry (should Alonso actually move )

Red Bull will make further strides, with Williams it all depends whether they develop this years chassis which has shown good potential or do a new car altogether.

Can't see anyone else doing much of note.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 09:19 (Ref:2044356)   #4
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
...it'll just be a case of can their current drivers make the most of it and get their first wins?
Rather Chunterer, can BMW make its conceptual leap forward next season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mario Theissen‏
I am very happy with the constellation, we are within our time frame and we are ready to do the next step.
Textbook. I have much confidence they can.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 09:59 (Ref:2044379)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO next year we will see

McLaren
Built by Migrant Workers
FIAT's Prancing Donkeys
Renault
Williams

All of the top 3 challenging for race wins, with solid finishes and occasional podiums for Renault and Williams.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 17:31 (Ref:2044769)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I expect BMW to make a good stride next season. Possible challengers in my book. They look sure to be best of the rest, well ahead of Renault probably.

McLaren, I am unsure, they are up and down. They are due to make a bad car next season according to their bi-yearly plan.

Ferrari will be the team to beat for me. Especially if Brawn returns.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 20:23 (Ref:2044900)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BMW will be challenging for wins next season. This year was about getting into third or fourth, but Munich will now want a win. Fingers crossed for Heidfeld in 2008, he's more than bloody deserving of one.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:11 (Ref:2044938)   #8
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm actually more excited by the drivers (rather than teams) coming through. It could be a classic few years of F1 ahead if they all get into good teams - Rosberg, Hamilton, Kovi, Suttil, Vettel and established 'vets' like Alonso and Kimi. Get these guys into the cars mentioned above and there'll be fireworks I tells ya!!
Old 20 Oct 2007, 01:38 (Ref:2045092)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Theoretically BMW should be making the next step to getting wins. It doesn't always work that way however.
I think they need a really top quality driver to build a team around. Like Renault with Alonso. Can either Nick or Robert step up that is the question.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 03:55 (Ref:2045131)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Theoretically BMW should be making the next step to getting wins. It doesn't always work that way however.
As you say, doesn't always work like that, look at Honda in 2005!

I expect Renault to be closer next year. I'm sure their biggest problem this season was the tyre's after such a close (the closest) relationship with Michelin, and i'm convinced that the car and tyre combination will be better in 2008.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 06:28 (Ref:2045167)   #11
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll probably be more interested to see who falls back. I honestly expected BMW to fall back this year, but they did quite the opposite and actually did what they said they would towards the end of '06. I'm not expecting much of Honda and Toyota. Honda might have something, but theyve basically said this years car is so bad, they have to go all new again for next year. They'll have to make sure they dont repeat the same mistakes as they did this year. Renault-Williams-Red Bull have all been making noises of getting towards the front, or getting back there for 2 of them. I'll be surprised if they all stay around the same competitiveness next year, but if they all cut down the current gap to the leaders from about 1-1.5s a lap to 0.5-1s a lap it wont exactly be something to complain about.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 09:11 (Ref:2045221)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Alonso joins Renault they should leapfrog BMW into third. Heidfeld has been solid and Kubica has shown potential, but I'm not convinced by either of them, as drivers who can really maximise a car. It's hard to tell as Nick has had a fairly easy run to a lot of his points this year, but I think there are better drivers out there.