Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2008, 04:42 (Ref:2157799)   #1
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the best grid we have had for a while?

Looking at the grid of teams and drivers, it has struck me that its the best bunch of drivers i have seen for a while.

You have a good mix of old and young guys, and their seems to be an absense of rent a seat drivers. Even the likes of Force India has a GP winning driver and a person who sum see potential in.

And looking at the teams, i think the midfield teams are tighter then ever, with SA and Force India sneaking in amongst Toyota and Honda.

There isnt much dead wood in the drivers seats this season
Old 21 Mar 2008, 07:14 (Ref:2157867)   #2
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I very much agree, only person I'd like to see is Montoya but that's not happening anytime soon.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2157880)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, there are a lot of stand-out talents. I know some questioned the merits of some of the more experienced drivers sticking around, but take Fisichella: I'd far rather see someone like him in the Force India than a pay driver who's there only because of his money or nationality.

Re: Montoya. Not going to happen ever, is it? A fine talent lost to F1, and I've always been a big fan of him, but he made his own bed there so to speak.

Last edited by Born Racer; 21 Mar 2008 at 07:45.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 08:02 (Ref:2157892)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed, on Montoya. There are a few drivers that i'd like to see replaced, but we can't have everything i suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer

Re: Montoya. Not going to happen ever, is it? A fine talent lost to F1, and I've always been a big fan of him, but he made his own bed there so to speak.
But i'm sure he's happier where he is.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2157926)   #5
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Agreed, on Montoya. There are a few drivers that i'd like to see replaced, but we can't have everything i suppose.

But i'm sure he's happier where he is.
JPM wasn't serious enough in his attitude to apply himself fully into F1
Old 21 Mar 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2158030)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Yes, and he was all the more entertaining for it!

Returning to the main point, I'd agree that we have a strong driver line-up in 2008. In recent years, the number of out-and-out pay drivers has been fairly low, but now we have none at all, which is refreshing.

Last edited by Super Hans; 21 Mar 2008 at 11:08.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2158116)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this year's grid is the best in some time. Very few if any proper 'pay-drivers'. Even the guys at Force India and Super Aguri are there on merit alone.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 15:00 (Ref:2158218)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think this year's grid is very strong - there's very little of the 'dead wood' we've seen in recent years. There are a lot of young drivers with a huge amount of potential as well as the more experienced, proven winners. Imagine just how strong the grid could potentially be in a couple of years' time when some of this year's potentially great drivers start to come of age.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 21 Mar 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2158256)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glock replacing Ralf, the 2 Sebs replacing Liuzzi and Speed, and Piquet effectively replacing Yamamoto/Albers. Fantastic - lots of new talent in favour of mediocrities and under-achievers. Lots of proven front-runners, lots of promising guys, a reasonable mix of nationalities and backgrounds - and not a pay-driver in sight.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2158313)   #10
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good question! I think it probably is, to be honest. Australia proved Barrichello can still cut it, that Coulthard still has fire in his belly and that Trulli's speed is still there. Fisichella seems to have been tearing up the track through practice sessions. A lot of the newcomers like Hamilton, Vettel, Bourdais, Kubica, Kovy and Sutil have made waves. And the rest, like Webber, Button and Heidfeld, aren't exactly giving up, are they?

Overall, a pretty good line-up.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2158331)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a terrific grid, I have to say. Some exciting youngsters in some very good cars. Not really too much to complain about is there on that front?

I'm not massively convinced of Piquet, to a lesser extent Davidson and of course the old guard is perhaps a little rusty these days, but then you can't have 22 newbies!

Montoya, I would not like to see him back in F1 to be quite honest. Fun is being had elsewhere and, as much as I'd like to see him in a non-TC F1 car, the challenge he has now is somewhat more... intriguing. And I say that as probably his biggest fan on this board.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2158486)   #12
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Piquet was pretty fast in Malaysia yesterday, less then .100 slower than Alsono
Old 21 Mar 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2158494)   #13
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And for some reason, I'd like to see the hero of the 'Ring, Markus Winkelhock, back, preferably in a competitive car.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 02:14 (Ref:2158663)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I think this year's grid is very strong - there's very little of the 'dead wood' we've seen in recent years. There are a lot of young drivers with a huge amount of potential as well as the more experienced, proven winners. Imagine just how strong the grid could potentially be in a couple of years' time when some of this year's potentially great drivers start to come of age.
How dare you talk about Ralf that way..
Old 22 Mar 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2158719)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam35
And for some reason, I'd like to see the hero of the 'Ring, Markus Winkelhock, back, preferably in a competitive car.
What makes you think a pay driver such as Winkelhock would make good use of a competitive car?
Old 22 Mar 2008, 08:16 (Ref:2158728)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Probably right. I'm sure that JPM would have been more suited to F1 of the '70's or early '80's.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2158824)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
We've been here before many times lamenting the loss to F1 of Juan. I'm always in agreements with Knowlesy, V and few others as the biggest advocates of the man's talent. Regrettably we've got to close the book on that subject haven't we, unless he wins NASCAR quickly and Bernie brokers a massive 2 year deal with someone!! Highly ulikely.

My god, the passive cars wouldn't half suit him though!!!

The current grid is full of talent for sure. Again we've got 4 of the best drivers in the best 2 chassis on the grid, Alonso (still the best driver imo) working very hard at Regie and drivers who have perhaps yet to show their full potential in cars that are beginning to show real promise. It's a heady mix!
Old 22 Mar 2008, 20:02 (Ref:2159138)   #18
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the picture of JPM in Autosport last week, he would need some time in the gym first to fit in the car again......