Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 13 Dec 2011, 10:59 (Ref:2999104)   #351
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With only 3 ovals any additions (to make 16 events) would have to ovals one would think.
Texas, New Hampshire, Milwaulkee, Richmond.

Alternatively a tie up with the ALMS roadcourse event would be a cost effective alternative.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2999125)   #352
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
This almost seems off-topic, but i'm not sure.

Could you not run a very tight oval with longer straights to reduce speeds? I take it the reason for the lack of ovals is after this year's unfortunate events.

I'm thinking along the lines of Martinsville, but with slightly longer straights and slightly tighter turns. It'd reduce cornering speeds, as well as promote overtaking, while still keeping the 'stadium' feel.

Selby
Old 13 Dec 2011, 13:37 (Ref:2999164)   #353
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
This almost seems off-topic, but i'm not sure.

Could you not run a very tight oval with longer straights to reduce speeds? I take it the reason for the lack of ovals is after this year's unfortunate events.

I'm thinking along the lines of Martinsville, but with slightly longer straights and slightly tighter turns. It'd reduce cornering speeds, as well as promote overtaking, while still keeping the 'stadium' feel.

Selby
The issue is entirely pre-tragedy. Noone turns up for the ovals despite the racing being quite good. They love the street races though because a ready-made audience is right on hand and a festival ambiance can be created with ease.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2999187)   #354
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Gotya! Thank you for that

I'd like to try a race on an oval like that. May have to create one for rFactor once my pc's sorted!

Selby
Old 13 Dec 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2999201)   #355
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Oh, ok, Purist, now I got it.

Bernard must be pushing for a Phoenix race in late September.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2999221)   #356
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
With only 3 ovals any additions (to make 16 events) would have to ovals one would think.
Texas, New Hampshire, Milwaulkee, Richmond.

Alternatively a tie up with the ALMS roadcourse event would be a cost effective alternative.
In order to make those ovals happen other than means no sanctioning fee. The irl will have to self promote and hope they make a big profit.

Road America already rejected the irl because their sanctioning fees were way too high to make a profit for the track. The irl wants $1.5 mil and RA is only willing to pay $500K or less. So they say.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2999311)   #357
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
In order to make those ovals happen other than means no sanctioning fee. The irl will have to self promote and hope they make a big profit.

Road America already rejected the irl because their sanctioning fees were way too high to make a profit for the track. The irl wants $1.5 mil and RA is only willing to pay $500K or less. So they say.
At this point the IRL should probably set up a promoting body to take care of most of the oval side. It's all well and good crunching hard numbers season to season but ignoring your original core market is a bad idea in the long run. You'd drive your championship in the ground because of short-sightedness.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2999854)   #358
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Short-sightedness explains why they never chose to invest in promoting their own races, and then blamed ISC's failure in that capacity as a reason to leave their tracks.

The too little/too late inception was for bernard to hand out 50,000 or so free tickets to the last race, almost none of which were punched.

Indycar didn't want to promote its own events, didn't want to free up the money t do it, can't find sponsorship dollars to make it work, and wouldn't be capable of doing it successfully if the money was on the table.

They are years behind even recognizing the need, and have lost most of their venues in the interim.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2999905)   #359
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here's more on the race in China:

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...i-hao-qingdao/
Old 16 Dec 2011, 21:16 (Ref:3000991)   #360
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think that's the old, original article.

Anyway, here's another 'down the road" item. I suppose it's not such a bad thing that tracks are talking, and IndyCar is looking longer-term to some extent.

http://www.the-leader.com/features/x...ing-about-2013
Old 16 Dec 2011, 22:22 (Ref:3001021)   #361
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think that's the old, original article.

Anyway, here's another 'down the road" item. I suppose it's not such a bad thing that tracks are talking, and IndyCar is looking longer-term to some extent.

http://www.the-leader.com/features/x...ing-about-2013
So basically the irl has to go around cap in hand to all these tracks with a low ball offer of a sanctioning fee to be able to do a deal. Back a few years ago the irl was belligerently demanding $2 million a race, recently it is said it has been $1-$1.5 million and this would drive it lower.

The sanctioning fees are the cash flow that pay for expenses and welfare TEAM checks to all the teams, so probably as expenses and welfare costs go up every year and revenue declines and you've got more 8 figure losses every year.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 07:59 (Ref:3001104)   #362
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reporting on the financial forensics from Baltimore put that sanctioning fee at $900K. I would bet money that race never runs again.

Kinda curious that they fired Angstadt, for all of his missteps he at least got them some gigs. What has Bernard produced with all of his marketing savvy and connections?

I don't think Bruton or Eddie G. were happy BEFORE the Vegas disaster. I could see Texas as a no-go this year too. The big SMI alliance hasn't put anything on SMI's table.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 08:05 (Ref:3001106)   #363
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Re post #2 of this thread: Trois Riviers was short and tight back in the heyday of Can Am and Trans Am, and it was always a great event. I'd order up as many race tracks and women I could find that fit the description.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 15:43 (Ref:3001249)   #364
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Reporting on the financial forensics from Baltimore put that sanctioning fee at $900K. I would bet money that race never runs again.

Kinda curious that they fired Angstadt, for all of his missteps he at least got them some gigs. What has Bernard produced with all of his marketing savvy and connections?

I don't think Bruton or Eddie G. were happy BEFORE the Vegas disaster. I could see Texas as a no-go this year too. The big SMI alliance hasn't put anything on SMI's table.
With the massive amount of debt and chaos amongst whoever is running things, I think the baltimore GP is toast.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 19:16 (Ref:3001317)   #365
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I never got the impression Angstadt parted on as bad a terms as Barnhard (though BB is still hanging around it was a bit of a public shaming), but I could be wrong.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 23:21 (Ref:3001392)   #366
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
beats me, Jimmy.
Robin Miller's headline:

Barnhart Removed From Race Control Angstadt Fired
Old 17 Dec 2011, 23:34 (Ref:3001397)   #367
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Randy seems to be swating hard to get more ovals and fill the 16 rounds.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 00:29 (Ref:3001416)   #368
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
beats me, Jimmy.
Robin Miller's headline:

Barnhart Removed From Race Control Angstadt Fired
It was from Pruett. Make of that what you will, but I still hold him in high regard.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 18:41 (Ref:3002361)   #369
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is how the 2012 schedule will most likely look like when announced shortly. Unless something drastic happens, Texas will announce a 2 race event again this year making the 16 race count that Indycar needs to complete a schedule. That is pretty sad if you ask me.

Here is the 2012 Indycar season schedule..

March 25: St. Petersburg, Fla. (street circuit)
April 1: Barber Motorsports Park (permanent road course)
April 15: Long Beach, Calif. (street circuit)
April 29: São Paulo, Brazil (street circuit)
May 27: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (oval)
June 3: Detroit (street circuit)
June 9: Texas Motor Speedway (oval)
June 23: Iowa Speedway (oval)
July 8: Toronto (street circuit)
July 22: Edmonton (street circuit)
Aug. 5: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (permanent road course)
Aug. 19: Qingdao, China (street circuit)
Aug. 26: Infineon Raceway (permanent road course)
Sept. 2: Baltimore (street circuit)
Sept. 15: Auto Club Speedway (oval)
Old 21 Dec 2011, 19:03 (Ref:3002843)   #370
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I doubt that the Texas double race will do. Izod must have signed 16 rounds, not 16 races.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 22:51 (Ref:3002940)   #371
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I doubt that the Texas double race will do. Izod must have signed 16 rounds, not 16 races.
Maybe they have bad lawyers.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 23:47 (Ref:3002962)   #372
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to Curt Cavin's twitter, the schedule will be announced tomorrow. There will be 16 rounds, with the final event TBC at a later date. Ropin' Randy really wants a Vegas street race, but can they throw it together in less than a year?
Old 22 Dec 2011, 00:41 (Ref:3002979)   #373
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he can't get that, it'l be a race on the road course at Las Vegas surely?
Old 22 Dec 2011, 13:30 (Ref:3003187)   #374
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no change from the 2012 date list posted by DanicaFan as it is up on the website so 91 days before your 1st green flag
Old 22 Dec 2011, 13:48 (Ref:3003196)   #375
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Maybe they have bad lawyers.
Yeah, could be. Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCar press release
June 9: Texas Motor Speedway* (1.5-mile oval)

*Denotes two full-points races
So, what are your bets? Other than the Las Vegas street race, I bet for an oval track rental like Milwaukee 2011. I'd love it to be Milwaukee or New Hampshire, which are in the unserved regions with most fans. But I guess that New Hampshire can't have it this late, so they could also rent a cheaper (poorer) place like Pikes Peak, Gateway or Nashville.

I'm sure Randy has heared enough complaints and will rent a track before running at the Indianapolis road course.

Last edited by NaBUru38; 22 Dec 2011 at 13:56.