Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 14 Sep 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2955232)   #176
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, I'm a bit surprised that you thought of Mallory Park before you remembered Rockingham (UK).
Old 14 Sep 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2955259)   #177
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbr View Post
Loudon (from what I've heard, 2011 was NH's only shot, and Bruton Smith was not pleased, and that IndyCar won't come back)
Well, he may or may not have been not pleased by IndyCar appearing at Loudon this year, but could he and his company have offered a similarly well equipped facility in the area? Probably not.
Here's hoping Loudon will be back regardless of Mr Smith's opinion about it. Competition is always refreshing to the market. If Mr Smith wants to have a say on where IndyCar races at, he may as well buy a stake in the series.

I must say I hope he does not do that because then the Series would likely never be able to get rid of Infineon Raceway.

The attendance at Loudon looked better on the screen than that at Milwaukee. Both were good races and should be back.

Maybe a rotation between Chicagoland and Milwaukee would be a solution for the time being?

So far, it looks like during Randy Bernard's tenure, every track recently in the series will be re-evaluated after every season's end and the least grossing events will be put on hold until fan interest gets them back in. It happened with Milwaukee this year. It can happen with the same track again.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2956551)   #178
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If they say it with those words, then it's an almost done deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit News
Motor fans, prepare to start your engines: The Detroit Grand Prix could return to Belle Isle next year after a four-year absence.

City officials on Thursday received a request from racing officials for the race, the first step in bringing it to Belle Isle. The City Council could approve the request as early as Tuesday, setting the stage for the race's return June 1-3.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110916/...#ixzz1Y9DOXniE
The only strange thing is the proposed date. Texas is supposed to have a free week after Indianapolis.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2956554)   #179
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Well, I'm a bit surprised that you thought of Mallory Park before you remembered Rockingham (UK).
Mallory Park would be amazing, although the pits would have to involve driving through the paddock!
Old 16 Sep 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2956555)   #180
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If they say it with those words, then it's an almost done deal.

The only strange thing is the proposed date. Texas is supposed to have a free week after Indianapolis.
Belle Isle won't happen unless Detroit gets a sponsor for it...a tough task up in the Motor City with their local economy being so depressed.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 16 Sep 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2956561)   #181
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Thank you Purist for introducing me to the Rafaela oval in Argentine. This is the first thing I have ever heard about it. Man, this track is massive with its length of almost 3 miles. The locals still use it with some chicanes in places but this video shows how run-down it really is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ZRJcrwEfw. They don't even have catch fencing (!) there.

But is IndyCar interested in the Argentinian market at all, or just in the Brazilian one?
My guess is a comeback of Lausitzring is a lot more likely than Rafaela.

However, it's best for the Series to look for local ovals in the US for future IndyCar races, especially if they are in the proximity of Indiana so "Hoosiers" can join the locals at the races easier.
I would have thought Argentina is worth investigating. They used to have a GP there up until 1998 and Argentina was the first country to hold a GP outside of Europe, so there certainly is a history there.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2956600)   #182
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I would have thought Argentina is worth investigating. They used to have a GP there up until 1998 and Argentina was the first country to hold a GP outside of Europe, so there certainly is a history there.
They've got 3 fully subscribed top tier touring car series with a plethora of supports, so I think Argentina is like Australia and the USA, the motorsport interest has shifted to cars with roofs.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2956611)   #183
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
They've got 3 fully subscribed top tier touring car series with a plethora of supports, so I think Argentina is like Australia and the USA, the motorsport interest has shifted to cars with roofs.
I don't see Australia's interest in F1 shifting. The Australian GP has been part of the F1 calendar since 1985. Just because they are racing cars with roofs in Argentina doesn't mean they aren't interested in an open wheel series. It's definitely worth putting the fealers out. There have been rumours but only rumours of an Argentine GP.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2956648)   #184
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't see Australia's interest in F1 shifting. The Australian GP has been part of the F1 calendar since 1985. Just because they are racing cars with roofs in Argentina doesn't mean they aren't interested in an open wheel series. It's definitely worth putting the fealers out. There have been rumours but only rumours of an Argentine GP.
The Australian race is dependent on the largesse of the Victorian Government and runs a big, big loss every year.

Ultimately as it always does it comes down to money and without it, no race.

I question why the indy crowd would want to start racing in places like argentina and china when the purpose of founding the irl was to have an all American open wheel series with ovals and no furrinners as AJ would say.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 23:46 (Ref:2956669)   #185
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The Australian race is dependent on the largesse of the Victorian Government and runs a big, big loss every year.

I question why the indy crowd would want to start racing in places like argentina and china when the purpose of founding the irl was to have an all American open wheel series with ovals and no furrinners as AJ would say.
I'm know the Australian GP runs at a loss but that doesn't mean it's going to disappear from the calendar soon. The fans like it and so does Bernie, which is more important. It's very much part of his F1 global strategy.

I agree with you about China. It's proving to be a bit of a lemon in F1, with poor crowd attendance, as they've never had any grass roots motorsport, or motorsport heritage.The only reason I can see IndyCar going there is for the money the Chinese are willing to throw at it. On the other hand Argentina does has grass roots motorsport and a great motorsports heritage.

As far furrinners go, that's one of the things that has held the IRL back, without the furrinners you've got no furrin interest and therefore a lack of potential sponsrship money, something that's plagued the IRL from its inception. You can't run a home grown major open wheel series, without furrinners. CART knew that, F1 knows that.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 16 Sep 2011 at 23:52.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 06:01 (Ref:2956744)   #186
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belle Isle will happen. I can see GM or the UAW sponsering the event.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2956853)   #187
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Argentina would've been great particularily if Juan Fangio II was still part of the field. Alas!
Old 17 Sep 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2956966)   #188
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Exactly. After the 2001 crisis, the Argentines have forgotten to try tackle the world. Only the Pérez Companc millionare family and a few exceptions in sports car racing have attempted to be succesful outside the country. Even Guerrieri with so many success in Europe and North America lacks backing. Today, Argentine young karters dream of winning with a Turismo Carretera or a touring car.

Argentina now got a FIM Road Racing date at Santiago del Estero because of government backing. Just like the GT1 race at San Luis - it's bread and circus, it's electoral propaganda.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2958850)   #189
mitchbr
Rookie

mitchbr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
*Facepalm* I don't know how I didn't remember that
Old 21 Sep 2011, 00:42 (Ref:2958864)   #190
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
Belle Isle will happen. I can see GM or the UAW sponsering the event.
Hate Hell Isle, but if GM is willing to support the event then I see no problem.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2959027)   #191
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a fan of the Belle Isle Park race either but Detroit Downtown probably would not be a possibility? After all, the trend points toward downtown as Baltimore suggested.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2959068)   #192
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Detroit City Council unanimously approved the event.

Now Penske needs to get a sponsor to pay for it. That's the tough part.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 00:13 (Ref:2959336)   #193
mitchbr
Rookie

mitchbr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mean, I'd rather MIS, but if we can get a Belle Isle circuit with a place to pass I'm all for it. It'd be tough for DP01's to pass with the most recent layout.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2959350)   #194
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbr View Post
I mean, I'd rather MIS, but if we can get a Belle Isle circuit with a place to pass I'm all for it. It'd be tough for DP01's to pass with the most recent layout.
I'd like too see a return to MIS.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 01:49 (Ref:2959364)   #195
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I question why the indy crowd would want to start racing in places like argentina and china
when the purpose of founding the irl was to have an all American open wheel series with ovals and no furrinners as AJ would say.
They don't want to.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2959633)   #196
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Bad news for New Hampshire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Gappens
I'd say it's highly unlikely at this point [that IndyCar races in 2012]. f they wanted to come in and rent the track and assume the risk, they could do that. Or if they brought in some corporate sponsorship that would help underwrite some of it, those are really the only two ways we could look at continuing it.
Without Milwaukee and New Hampshire, oval/road/street balance would get seriously damaged. Randy must be thinking hard how to add more profitable races.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2959661)   #197
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm not surprised by Loudon, but maybe we'll see a deal on Chicagoland, which would help the balance a bit.

The downtown Detroit street circuit would be nigh impossible for the present Indy Cars to pass on, and who knows about the 2012 car. You NEED something with more power, less drag, and that is just more nimble to make a race of it on that track. Here's the 1989 start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sduhVhh4mpo

Belle Isle would have a decent passing place, if they'd use the 1998-2001 layout. That's the one that bypasses some of that niggly, tight stuff after the Turn 1/2 esse, and has a nice straight down to Turn 3. Here's the 1998 start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIpzk...eature=related

I would think that Penske has got something, otherwise there would have been no point in sending the request in the first place. And without support, I can't imagine how city council would have approved the request, much less approved it unanimously.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2959743)   #198
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I'm not surprised by Loudon, but maybe we'll see a deal on Chicagoland, which would help the balance a bit.
It's like musical chairs and they are quickly running out of running out of people who will pay their inflated sanctioning fees. Sanctioning fees are the bread and butter of their cash flow and it's all drying up.

Most music or entertainment acts work the same way. Instead of getting involved with the gate and other revenue, they just have a flat fee they get paid. The irl though is like a music act that had it's last big hit 15 years ago and has been on the slide ever since. Now they are sharing double billing with a puppet act and no one wants to pay their fee.

Doing a facility rental and running their own race, well that now puts them in the promotional business, which realistically requires a full time team to run.

I suggested years ago to Champcar and it was ignored to follow the V8 Supercar model. One problem V8SC felt they had was inconsistency in some of their events. So they set up a separate full time event company to promote and run some of their race weekends and it has been a successful move for V8SC. A consistent level of well executed and promoted events brings out the fans and in turn is attractive to sponsors.

The irl is a poorly run organization at all levels and it doesn't appeal to anyone out there in the mass public and business sector. Being left to run it's own races, it doesn't seem prepared at all.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2959758)   #199
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
You'd think they could work out something with the promotional arm of Andretti, which then spun off on its own and purchased Mid Ohio.

On the rest there, I'm not convinced that IndyCar is managed any worse than quite a few mainstream corporations/banks/insurers out there, so you can stop beating that drum. It's old news, especially since the short-termist economics bug has thoroughly infected the whole of the business community over the past 20 years, at least.

BTW, I mentioned Chicagoland specifically because the man in charge there IS definitely interested in having IndyCar return to that track. We'll just have to see.

Last edited by Purist; 22 Sep 2011 at 22:24.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2959782)   #200
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
You'd think they could work out something with the promotional arm of Andretti, which then spun off on its own and purchased Mid Ohio.

On the rest there, I'm not convinced that IndyCar is managed any worse than quite a few mainstream corporations/banks/insurers out there, so you can stop beating that drum. It's old news, especially since the short-termist economics bug has thoroughly infected the whole of the business community over the past 20 years, at least.

BTW, I mentioned Chicagoland specifically because the man in charge there IS definitely interested in having IndyCar return to that track. We'll just have to see.
Whatever banks and insurers do, couldn't care. They are not irl competitors. The irl does a terrible job considering the previous success of open wheel racing and against it's main competitor of stock car racing. The irl is a money losing business and has been since 1995. It has never turned a profit, ever.