Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Nov 2000, 20:21 (Ref:47659)   #1
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody have any information about the south circuit, as I haven't been able to find much out about it. And why, when the North circuit was deemed too dangerous for racing, didn't they just upgrade that circuit rather than building the new one?
Old 9 Nov 2000, 20:46 (Ref:47665)   #2
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought that the South circuit had already fallen into disuse by the time the north circuit stopped holding major races, because it was more dangerous. What I don't know was if it just needed more investment to bring it up to spec.
Old 11 Nov 2000, 16:28 (Ref:47971)   #3
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was more to do with not being able to guarantee marshalling over the whole length was my understanding hence there was no question of upgrading it
Old 13 Nov 2000, 09:36 (Ref:48144)   #4
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jos, I think you're talking about the North Circuit there (14 miles) rather than the South circuit which was "only" 5 miles long.
Old 25 Nov 2000, 20:39 (Ref:49888)   #5
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Nurburgring has been the subject of a number of epic tomes, so I shall try and be brief here.

The old Nurburgring was, as you know, not one but two circuits, linked by the start/finish straight and sharing common pit facilities. The most famous part of the circuit is undoubtedly the Nordschleife, which fell out of use for international racing in May 1982, following a 1000km sportscar race.

Plans for the circuit were drawn up by the local district controller, Dr Crentz, who felt the construction would not only end the crippling unemployment in the area but also promote tourism and the German motor industry. Work started on the circuit in 1925, and the Nordschliefe was completed in June 1927, holding its first German GP that year, won my Otto Merz in a Mercedes-Benz.

The shorter Sudschleife was not completed until the following year. Perhaps unsurprisingly, given the majesty of its bigger brother, it was always the less-widely used of the two circuits. However, following the resumption of racing after the Second World War in 1947, it was actually the Sudschleife which held the first post-war Nurburgring race.

By any standards it was an unusual affair - and a rare success for the southern loop. On August 17th, motorcycles ran round the south circuit, watched by thousands of spectators. They were tempted not only by good racing, but by an entry ticket which included in the price a meal of two sausages, potato salad, some bread and half a litre of wine!

Such events were rare indeed for the Sudschleife, however, which gradually fell into disuse. The majority of the circuit was torn up to make way for new public roads, although certain sections still exist today. And of course, you can still run round the Nordschleife in your own car for just a few Marks. Well worth it, I'd have thought...

The northern circuit was dropped from the F1 calendar after Niki Lauda's horrific 1976 shunt, when it became obvious that marshalling facilities were hideously overstretched trying to cover the 14 miles of tarmac adequately. In any event, modern TV coverage would have killed off the old 'Ring - imagine how many cameras would have been needed!

The new Nurburgring was completed in the Spring of 1982, with much the same configuration as today. There were many complaints that it was very sterile in comparison to the old ring, however. Recent visits by F1 to the circuit have provided good racing, so it goes to show how times change.

The current configuration wasn't the only one bandied about, however. I have a copy of Automobile Sport 83/85, which has an official looking track map to go with its report on the opening of the new circuit, which has a different - and longer - configuration from the Ford Kurve to the Shell Kurve. Can anyone shed any light on this?