Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Sep 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1414211)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Change at the top?

The McLaren seems to be the fastest car at the moment. However Renault are introducing some new bits in Brazil. Will it make the difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisi in the Renault preview
We have a new aero package, and a new engine spec as well, so I think we can be a bit more aggressive over there.
http://www.autosport-atlas.com/news.aspx?id=47095&s=5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Symonds in the Renault preview
We have a good step on the aerodynamics for Brazil, that will help us claw back some of the deficit. But it is also partly to do with some of the strategic engineering decisions that have been made in the team. We do not want a car that is fast and fragile, we want a car that will finish every Sunday because that is how championships are won.
Ignoring the championship, could we be seeing Renault back to the top of the pile in qualifying and the race?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1414218)   #2
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
McClaren have the best all round package at the mo. Renault can "cruise" and still win the WDC; as for the Constructors, no McClaren must be up there. It needs a clean race from JPM, and theyre there. FA needs to hit the podium or less I believe. Well done Flav. I cant see Kimi getting there now, unless Renault hit bad times from now. Renault dont need to quali first, but theyll be there or close. Watch the Toyotas though, or Jarno at least.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1414219)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you think Renault have significant changes up their sleave.

The aero changes are meant to be big, the engine changes small. On a small point, I wonder if the winglets on the front wing will re-appear after an absence over the last two races?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1414238)   #4
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
No; I think Renault would be crazy to try anything "new" till next year. As for winglets; remove them!
Old 22 Sep 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1414269)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see Renault cruising. They can't aford to just cruise. If they want the constructor's championship that is. Although a few races back Flavio sited that the driver's title was the focus, which I can't imagine Renault being too thrilled about.

As for pace, I don't think they can knock Mclaren off outright. However, they maintain good reliability and a little extra pace certainly would help them.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1414337)   #6
Grandprix
Rookie

Grandprix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The McLaren will be the fastest car in Brazil but I think Renault won't be too far behind this time around. The recent testing at Silverstone showed some good speed at Renault.

Who knows though? It might rain enough for Ferrari to come through and win...
Old 23 Sep 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1414414)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Do you think Renault have significant changes up their sleave.

The aero changes are meant to be big, the engine changes small. On a small point, I wonder if the winglets on the front wing will re-appear after an absence over the last two races?
Yes I do... Renault are not to let this slip through their fingers. They want that championship badly and by golly they are going to win it! They(Renault) will pull out all the stops during these final races.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 00:45 (Ref:1414423)   #8
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought for a moment, Adam, you were talking about Max Mosley stepping down and Paul Stoddart taking over the presidency of the FIA.

I think it's an old saying in Formula One is that to stand still is to go backwards. Renault needs to continue innovatively developing their cars to push them towards a constructor championship. I've said it before; it's all very well and good to win the drivers championship, but to not win the constructor championship begs the question of what has gone wrong organisationally. I reckon Renault would be going flat out trying to win both championships, and with three races to go, it's imperative that they continue developing their cars.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 07:54 (Ref:1414553)   #9
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
The McLaren seems to be the fastest car at the moment. However Renault are introducing some new bits in Brazil. Will it make the difference?

http://www.autosport-atlas.com/news.aspx?id=47095&s=5

Ignoring the championship, could we be seeing Renault back to the top of the pile in qualifying and the race?
Aren't these statements made before every race weekend?

I think it is very likely Mclaren will still have a slight advantage over Renault.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1414576)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Aren't these statements made before every race weekend?
Renault have been saying that an upgrade has been coming in Brazil for a few races. The source of the information doesn't only come from there, that was just a nice quote to add to my thread. I thought I'd make an effort rather than jsut post "Renault have a new aero package, discuss".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
I think it is very likely Mclaren will still have a slight advantage over Renault.
I would image this to be the case as McLaren have quite a margin on Renault and they aren't introducing a B spec. car.

However if Renault get close enough maybe they will make McLaren try harder and that may make a difference.

Renault have also said that they have a couple of engine ungrades coming. I presume that will coincide with each engine change. Checking out FIA.com confirms tha Alonso will have a new engine this weekend and Fisi changed his during the last race weekend. So a new engine for Alonso and presumably last race's for Fisi.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1414632)   #11
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Renault have also said that they have a couple of engine ungrades coming. I presume that will coincide with each engine change. Checking out FIA.com confirms tha Alonso will have a new engine this weekend and Fisi changed his during the last race weekend. So a new engine for Alonso and presumably last race's for Fisi.
That might be interesting. How many times haven't we seen in the past that an upgrade engine didn't make it untill the end of a race...

I'm not wishing FA any bad luck, but I am wishing the championship race going all the way to China!
Old 23 Sep 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1414869)   #12
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think it was reported earlier that Alonso will continue to use the old reliable engine spec and Fisi will get the new, potentially unreliable spec... once he is allowed to change his engine I guess.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1420377)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well it didn't make night and day difference! Although I think we saw Renault a little closer.

When it came to the race the McLaren's still had a clear advantage though. They could run more fuel in qualifying and battled it out between them. Also with a coupel of good moves they both got past the Renaults on the track.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1420379)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
renault's lack of performance/lack of development at the end of last year cost them second place in the constructors and was surley taken into consideration when planning this years development cycle. they may have one the WDC but to stop preforming at the end of the season two years in row would be a big blow to the team. imo they will have new parts and orders to each driver to go as hard as possible.
should be an exciting close to the season.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1420385)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Lack of development: They have just introduced a big upgrade at the last GP, which is an indication that they are developing until the end of the season. McLaren are too, of course, which is why they haven't caught up.

You are right that they can now go for it more though. They have been alittle conservative in the last few races, how much can they get out of the package without risking too much.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1420400)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can only imagine (thats not true - i cant imagine)the boost in confidence that a WDC would give you. im hoping to see a much more forcefull alonso next race and if any combination of the mclarens and renaults end up on the front row it will be an amazing start.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1420460)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Of course you can imagine what it may be like. Whether or not you are imagining feelings that are acccurate to reality is another matter, but you can still imagine. If you couldn't then you wouldn't be able to produce this topic.

Anyway, I think the start will be very intersting. Presumably we will see the two front rows dominated by Mclaren and Renault. Although, I think there is a chance that Michael could pop his Ferrari into 4th (with Fisi bumped to 5th?).

With the WCC so finely in the balance.........I can see it going two ways: they might be told to be cautious as every point matters, or else to fight tooth and nail because every point matters.

It could be rather interesting, as you noted in your post there.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1422617)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Ranault are again pushing with new bits: http://www.autosport-atlas.com/news.aspx?id=47405&s=5

New engine upgrade, as noted above, but also some '06 parts are being brought forwards.

However it isn't a big change in philosophy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bell
I think our risk management may change a little, but not much. The reality is that the team that drops a race finish from either car in the last two races will probably lose the title.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1430184)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well maybe the Renault was a little closer this race? It is so difficult to tell as FA and KR were both stuck behind drivers through-out the race. Their lap times were similar too, although I think it was clear Kimi had the slightly greater pace.

The constructors championship is all to play for and importantly Renault are just in front.

Pat Symonds has an intersting point. He says that Alonso will have a new engine for China and it will be a new version too. However Raikkonen will have to use his Japanese engine and he pushed that quite hard in the last GP. Fisi and JPM both get new engines.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:33 (Ref:1430290)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Kimi too will have a new engine,one way or another.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1430484)   #21
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think it was clear Kimi had the slightly greater pace.
Well there wasn't much between their fastest laps in Japan.

Kimi - 1:31.540

Fernando - 1:31.599

I guess it depends on how many laps the car is capable of doing at that speed before it chews up the tyres.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1430487)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Ooops when I said:
Quote:
Their lap times were similar too, although I think it was clear Kimi had the slightly greater pace.
I meant "Their fastestlap times were similar, but I think Kimi had the greater pace".

As I said though it is difficult to tell, although I get the impression that Kimi had the greater pace.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1430918)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, and that would also make sense logically if removed from the event itself. By this I mean that both drivers immensely fast, and I think there is little doubt that the Mclaren is the faster machine. Thus Kimi having the greatest potential pace makes sense.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1430923)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
We hear quite a lot that Renault keep introducing new bits. What about McLaren? Do they have anything new for the last GP?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1430927)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would imagine it's unlikely we'll see any major difference in any teams cars between Suzuka and Shanghai