Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 2 Jan 2020, 17:50 (Ref:3949529)   #91
Anyopenroad
Racer

European Union
London
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Well as I've said for countless of years, that would have been fixed by re-allowing them into ELMS and ASLMS, thus re-creating opportunity for customer market as well as giving overall win opportunity without resorting to artficial BS as seen in the WEC now. Or do the fans of ELMS still prefer to see that 17 car spec Oreca field with spec engines and spec tires and proam lineups, rather than say 5-10 proper nonhybrid LMP1 cars with every combination of tech possible? I do remember people defending the interests of LMP2, but times have changed
You're conflating two things here and creating a strawman argument for good measure.

There is a good case for having privateer LMP1s in ELMS, I agree.

No-one except the ACO likes the way ELMS has become a spec Oreca event. ACO totally screwed this up, as Akrapovic eloquently described earlier in this thread. No-one, whether "fan" of ELMS or not, has said otherwise.

These are separate issues though. The answer to the Oreca-spec problem is not privateer LMP1s, it's for the ACO to swallow their pride and admit that their LMP2 revamp has been a disaster. That's about as likely to happen as me getting a last-minute call-up to race a Toyota at Le Mans this year.
Old 3 Jan 2020, 05:45 (Ref:3949605)   #92
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
What they could do is allow another joker upgrade. Or give a weight penalty to the Oreca's. But that would be unfair to those that purchased them. Or they may say so. As for keeping lmp1 competitive without screwing up Toyota's interest, that could have been done by allowing new competitors more testing, cut Toyota's tests or more aero kits vs Toyota's two. I think this or something close to it was proposed actually but it never came about, for lmp1 that is. Once Nissan fell apart or the funding was cut for it (imo to prop up Renault F1) it seemed like the beginning of the end. Two seasons later Audi goes, then goes Porsche. Dieselgate no fault of the race teams but what a sad thing to have been done.
Old 3 Jan 2020, 13:01 (Ref:3949670)   #93
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The $200m figure isn't nonsense. If Toyota are spending $50m a year (which they by all accounts, are), then you're not going to build an LMP1 team from scratch, including all of the investment you'd need to make in racing hybrid technology, and then beat Toyota for an 'easy Le Mans win' on the same $50m budget. You have to go in big if you want the 'easy win'. You have to not only produce a good car quickly, you have to now take on all of the experience and expertise that Toyota have gained over this decade. You don't do that by spending the same money. And whilst you're on a reduced knowledge base compared to your very well honed competitor, doing a reduced schedule is not going to help.

You could absolutely run an LMP1 team on $50m or less. You just won't easily beat Toyota on it. And it's hard selling $50m a year to the board when your pitch is 'We probably won't win'.

The manufacturers were not going to come and fight Toyota on a dead rule set. Change had to happen. The change they've opted for isn't particularly good, but there was no option.
You also have to consider the amount that Audi were spending on their massive hospitality operation at Le Mans. You could have run a GT team for the full season for less than Audi spent on a tent in France for a week.
Old 3 Jan 2020, 14:28 (Ref:3949681)   #94
Aysedasi
Retirement Club Member
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Audi's hospitality was unbelievable. James and I had a tour of their 'hotel' at the Exposition Centre a few years back. Extraordinary.

Old 3 Jan 2020, 15:03 (Ref:3949689)   #95
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
They certainly pushed the boat out but for Audi Le mans was there main publicity so they spent accordingly
Old 6 Jan 2020, 18:42 (Ref:3950062)   #96
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GM directly lobbying for the factory cars with both BOP and entry spots with this??
Although I guess they would have to enter in GTE-Pro, not a problem if it were to be MTEK but with Keating that could be tough. He does seem like he would take on the challenge and have the year experience with the car by the time it could then run Am in 21-22. And yes, it is all MASSIVE speculation at this time but what isn't this time of year?
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3950063)   #97
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
GM directly lobbying for the factory cars with both BOP and entry spots with this??
Although I guess they would have to enter in GTE-Pro, not a problem if it were to be MTEK but with Keating that could be tough. He does seem like he would take on the challenge and have the year experience with the car by the time it could then run Am in 21-22. And yes, it is all MASSIVE speculation at this time but what isn't this time of year?
I wonder if they would take the hit on a difficult GTE-Pro season to gain extra data for the factory team (subsidised?) and then be properly ready for the GTE-Am season.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 19:26 (Ref:3950071)   #98
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I wonder if they would take the hit on a difficult GTE-Pro season to gain extra data for the factory team (subsidised?) and then be properly ready for the GTE-Am season.
ONLY reason I think it could happen is Keating does seem like that kind of guy and loves to race. I doubt GM would subsidize any of the effort though, beyond possibly drivers when able. It seems like the GM structure of multiple companies under the GM umbrella broken up by continent so WEC racing would be a tough sell to GM NA. Now with a right drive Corvette in the C8 could we see GM Europe (or is there EU vs British Isles breakdown?) chip in for Silverstone or GM Asia/Middle East kick in for their rounds?

Personally I doubt it and think we won't see a non-factory WEC car outside of the US rounds in 20-21. I think we will see a Keating car in 21-22 as he wants to get back to LeMans and try again. And he does seem to be motivated to race cars from the street, multiple interviews he mentions racing cars he sells. Plus I think he'll put those cars in his dealerships after racing.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 19:28 (Ref:3950072)   #99
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
ONLY reason I think it could happen is Keating does seem like that kind of guy and loves to race. I doubt GM would subsidize any of the effort though, beyond possibly drivers when able. It seems like the GM structure of multiple companies under the GM umbrella broken up by continent so WEC racing would be a tough sell to GM NA. Now with a right drive Corvette in the C8 could we see GM Europe (or is there EU vs British Isles breakdown?) chip in for Silverstone or GM Asia/Middle East kick in for their rounds?

Personally I doubt it and think we won't see a non-factory WEC car outside of the US rounds in 20-21. I think we will see a Keating car in 21-22 as he wants to get back to LeMans and try again. And he does seem to be motivated to race cars from the street, multiple interviews he mentions racing cars he sells. Plus I think he'll put those cars in his dealerships after racing.
I'm thinking along the same lines as you. The only thing that makes me think this is possible is that it's Keating, and he's the only one who managed to get his hands on a Ford GT. If anyone can do it, it's him. Long shot though.

Would be a nice boost to the GTE grid.