Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Feb 2020, 22:15 (Ref:3957651)   #496
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Interesting little read. Not sure what to think on this one.

https://www.autosport.com/historics/...an-pro-drivers
Well quite.

So we know some people are in. Also that some of the problem Pro drivers are young people who might wish to be Pro drivers. (Did I get that right?)

Taking all of that information into account one has to wonder why some well known names were omitted from the pre-approved list.

No mention of one Mr. M. Bell for example.

Poor form Ron ... or is there something that we don't know about?

Old 15 Feb 2020, 07:13 (Ref:3957685)   #497
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Taking all of that information into account one has to wonder why some well known names were omitted from the pre-approved list.
This kind of ultra short list is always difficult to publish. C'est le genre d'exercice que nous appellons "casse gueule" voyez vous, mon cher…………
Old 15 Feb 2020, 08:02 (Ref:3957687)   #498
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Don't see a problem - drive like a knob, you're not welcome. Simple.
Hopefully true whether you are a Pro driver or not!
Old 15 Feb 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3957705)   #499
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Hopefully true whether you are a Pro driver or not!
Yes, no monopoly for stupidity!
Old 17 Feb 2020, 11:27 (Ref:3957982)   #500
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wonder of wonders the Donington relief road has opened.

Perhaps only because they were concerned that Dennis might blow away the remaining barriers?

The weekend rain leaves the embankments looking like they might be about to be washed away. The new housing at the top of them may be in for some interesting times unless the rain stops soon.

Now a bad road though. At least the up hill sections have two lanes - presumably to allow for slow moving trucks.

Approaching the top roundabout on the airport perimeter one can see why there might have been problems. Over the top of the hill and slightly down towards the roundabout .. the control tower is almost directly ahead. So traffic approaching the roundabout at night will be pointing headlights directly at the ATC tower. It's so accurately pointing at the tower that one wonders if it was set up a a deliberate target.

Anyway, for anyone from the north or west there is not a reasonable alternative route to getting to Donington avoiding M1 J24 and the run past the airport to the east and south should that be busy.

Just a shame that access to the circuit no longer uses the old main entrance.

Also that the roundabout to the north did indeed fill with water yesterday as predicted.

Lots of very noisy stuff at the track today.

I must put in a complaint about the wind speed and direction that means I can hear all of the action despite closed windows and double glazing.

The New housing development, being much closer, will no doubt result in multiple complaints about noise in the very near future.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 16:38 (Ref:3958028)   #501
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Now a bad road though. At least the up hill sections have two lanes - presumably to allow for slow moving trucks.

Approaching the top roundabout on the airport perimeter one can see why there might have been problems. Over the top of the hill and slightly down towards the roundabout .. the control tower is almost directly ahead. So traffic approaching the roundabout at night will be pointing headlights directly at the ATC tower. It's so accurately pointing at the tower that one wonders if it was set up a a deliberate target.

Anyway, for anyone from the north or west there is not a reasonable alternative route to getting to Donington avoiding M1 J24 and the run past the airport to the east and south should that be busy.

Grant - I'm a bit confused....have you transposed your "Now" and "not" ???? I'm not entirely certain of the new road layout so your comments may make sense as is...
Old 17 Feb 2020, 19:59 (Ref:3958059)   #502
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Grant - I'm a bit confused....have you transposed your "Now" and "not" ???? I'm not entirely certain of the new road layout so your comments may make sense as is...
Aghh! Should be "Not".

Thought I had corrected that just after the original post when I also sorted out the extra spacing I always seem to get with Firefox for some reason.

Must have change back again at some point and I didn't notice. Thanks for pointing it out Richard.

Not too much rain here today so the Round-a-pool still exists but the on road flooding has disappeared.

There was someone seemingly testing a silencer deleted moped on the new section earlier (judging by the time it took to go south, up the hill, compared to the time to head north (down the hill).

I hope that does not become a new pass time for some of the locals. It drowned out the sound of the cars at the track.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 06:27 (Ref:3958161)   #503
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wonder of wonders the Donington relief road has opened........

Anyway, for anyone from the north or west there is now a reasonable alternative route to getting to Donington avoiding M1 J24 and the run past the airport to the east and south should that be busy.

Just a shame that access to the circuit no longer uses the old main entrance.
Grant, after a period where Dr P closed the old main entrance at Donington Park, it is now sign posted as the “East Entrance” and is open to circuit users again.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 09:30 (Ref:3958174)   #504
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
As a comparison to the costs of the Autosport Show (circa £20 per head and £16 per car for parking) I have just discovered that the ticket price for the Caravan and Motorhome show at the NEC this weekend (don’t ask) is £10 per head and free car parking.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3958208)   #505
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Grant, after a period where Dr P closed the old main entrance at Donington Park, it is now sign posted as the “East Entrance” and is open to circuit users again.

Ah! Excellent.

Drove past the other day but did not spot that.

I thought that area had simply become a parking area for spare DHL and Parcel Force trailers!

Thanks Andy.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3958266)   #506
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
EV Discussion moved here. https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154979
Old 18 Feb 2020, 16:47 (Ref:3958272)   #507
bauble
Veteran

England
Luton, which is nowhere near ,,,?
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Thank you, Peter.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3958280)   #508
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a follow up to the Autosport Article I posted here is a video by Masters themselves talking about the Pre 66 GT and Touring Car Grids along with the upcoming season, regulation changes and so on.

https://youtu.be/vj1ZLsYXmEE

Interesting bit about the Daytona Cobras domination and success points. Enjoy although a bit of a plan to what the two of them talk about would be nice as I forgot how many times Ron and Mark talked about the formers stomach width and driver talent.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 19:47 (Ref:3958314)   #509
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!
Speaking of Autosport, they're reporting a drop in the number of race meetings. BRSCC and BARC in particular have canned some single day meetings, preferring to spread the financial load over two days.

How long before the historic market has to bite the bullet? Autosport says it's been campaigning for this for 40 years!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Feb 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3958447)   #510
Tel 911S
Racer

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scams .

Got a new one this morning , EMail from " TESCO BANK " , telling me that it is important to re register my I Phone or whatever .
This one seems to come from GR , which I guess is Greece .Haven,t seen this one before , so has anyone else seen it .

Over the last month or so I have had Amazon Prime , TV Licence , NI Number ,
all scams .

None of them have been as funny as some of the old Nigerian ones which were sometimes so unbelievable it made you wonder if there was anyone out there so stupid as to actually fall for them .