Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 30 Apr 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2452603)   #1
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
15 years ago today - Roland Ratzenberger

15 years ago today, what is arguably the blackest weekend in motorsport begun with the tragic death of Roland Ratzenberger. I was 16, an avid motorsport fan and had never before experienced the death of someone in motorsport right in front of my eyes. It changed my view on motorsport forever, and made me better appreciate what many had gone through before in the name of the sport.

Lets ensure we never forget Roland, just as we'll never forget Ayrton...
Old 30 Apr 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2452661)   #2
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm I still remember when I found out about poor Roland. Just like it was yesterday.

One we will never forget

Rfactor+TCL mod + one Demon Tweeks BMW equals a good tribute tonight I feel.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2452687)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, remember the weekend well. Hard to think it's fifteen years ago.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2452695)   #4
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for reminding us, his passing is too often over shadowed by the tragic death of Senna, but Roland should also be remembered for the quality driver he was in such a variety of machinery. R I P Roland.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2452766)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I was watching the practice on Eurosport. It had been so long since a fatality at a race weekend that when they showed him in the car I just assumed he had been knocked out. But it took so long...
Old 30 Apr 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2452935)   #6
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree with your sentiments Hepatic.

I think it's a duty of the more 'hardcore' fans to ensure that the loss of Ayrton does not overshadow that of Roland, it's easy to do, but both were equally tragic...
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2453021)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I remember it well, as we heard the news of that terrible weekend whilst at a meeting at Snetterton when we did the ICS support races to the BTCC.
I remember Alan Minshaw almost in tears.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Apr 2009, 18:00 (Ref:2453072)   #8
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Silverstone for F3000 practice. Remember seeing it on a TV in the paddock office. A very sad day.

It seems like yesterday, cant believe it is 15 years.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2453238)   #9
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I has just moved to Banbury at the time (the home town of Simtek, Roland's team) from Didcot (the home town of Williams, Ayrton's team).
A weekend etched on my mind
15 years on rest in peace Roland
Old 1 May 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2453465)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
RIP Roland.

I always found that particular weekend so intrigueing (for the wrong reasons, obviously). When you put it in perspective, there hadn't been a death in F1 for what, 12 years? It's been over that now, and can you actually imagine something of this scale suddenly happening? Because frankly, I can't.

My above statements do actually have some relevence. It's actually interesting hearing people's first hand accounts of where they were and how they found out. I mean I remember finding it very interesting hearing my uncle talk about it (he got me in to F1). I just couldn't believe how there was this sport where even the greats didn't always walk out alive.. It was unfathamable, and tragic, yet I had to find out more for myself. I researched the San Marino weekend in detail and was saddened by the ironies that happened over the course of the weekend, and more so by how easily these deaths could have been prevented (heinsight).

I agree with the comment that it's these "hardcore" fans' responsiblity to help people remember that two talent racers lost their lives 15 years ago.

Selby

Last edited by John Turner; 6 May 2009 at 14:28.
Old 1 May 2009, 13:17 (Ref:2453602)   #11
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I agree with the comment that it's these "hardcore" fans' responsiblity to help people remember that two talent racers lost their lives 15 years ago.

Selby
Yes.

RIP Roland.
Old 2 May 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2454096)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RIP Roland.
Old 5 May 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2455954)   #13
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Roland
Old 6 May 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2456601)   #14
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
RIP Roland. A driver who I think would have moved on to bigger, better things.