Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1111016)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
10 Years On - Don Watson

It is hard to believe that it is 10 years since Don Watson was killed at the end of Conrod Straight, Mount Panorama, Bathurst, Australia.

I still remember with vividness hearing of the news over here in NZ. I was in my 2nd to last year of secondary school and dreaming almost continuously of the impending race.

I don't know anything about Don Watson, and would appreciate input from those who do about his personality, and his racing history.

I still remember the photo in The Dominion newspaper over here showing far too much detail.

It's hard to take away anything from these situations, but Don died whilst living his dream - a feat that is seldom ever occurs in life.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 04:22 (Ref:1111908)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Don Watson owned a huge trucking Company and the company is still going and thriving (I work just down the road from one of his depots) , I believe his wife initially took over the running of the Company but not sure if she still has control now.

I also dont know much about Don except for the fact that I think he drove production cars and then moved on to V8 Supercars.

I believe 94 was his first seaon in v8's and the car looked great that much i can say , and from what I remember he was doing pretty well in his efforts.

Sadly he had his tragic accident at bathurst and Don was lost to us , I still remember the haunting images on the news that night.

other than that i dont know much about him but it certainly was a sad loss to both the sport and the transport community.

RIP Don
Old 30 Sep 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2551146)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can you believe it is 15 years now?

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Sep 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2551393)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Can you believe it is 15 years now?

No I sure can't. Where has the time gone?

My interest in Australian motorsport was first stoked when I first saw a brief clip of Bathurst on TV here in the USA back in 1993. My Dad the following year on a trip to Australia brought me home a bunch of racing magazines and in one was a brief mention about Don Watson passing away at Bathurst. I didn't know anything about him at the time but learned more as the years went on.