Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Dec 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1488713)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well said, Chris Hobson

Having just read the latest Trackside I can't let it pass without offering my congratulations on a superb letter. No messing about, no flannel, very well expressed.

Thank you.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1488962)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For those that haven't received it - whatcha on about please Woolley?
Old 22 Dec 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1488988)   #3
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
For those that haven't received it - whatcha on about please Woolley?

Yeh...........
Old 22 Dec 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1489014)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you're a member, you'll get yours, and if not...

http://www.marshals.co.uk/files/To%2...0CEO%20MSA.pdf
Old 23 Dec 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1489051)   #5
sib668
Rookie

England
teesside
sib668 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do have to say that was very said.. just hope somebody's listening
Old 23 Dec 2005, 02:36 (Ref:1489064)   #6
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said...and although i don't mean to put a downer on things its not anything that hasn't been said before, and so far nothing has been done. Unfortunately I am not holding my breath.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1489133)   #7
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well put Chris. Hope it doesnt fall on deaf ears.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1489136)   #8
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
As a BMMC member i'd like to ask, "what's Trackside"?

I'm lucky to see one a year. Must have another word in mr Hill's shell like.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1489144)   #9
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Just read the letter off the link.

Absolutely brilliant!!! Couldn't agreee more.

He's got my full support.

Well done Chris.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1489158)   #10
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Made very good points. I particularly like the suggestion on recording actual and planned timetables, which seems a VERY simple piece of paper that will clearly show poor organisation.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1489160)   #11
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here Here - Balders
Old 23 Dec 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1489170)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
Well said...and although i don't mean to put a downer on things its not anything that hasn't been said before, and so far nothing has been done. Unfortunately I am not holding my breath.

This time its been said in public and to those who need to hear it! Another fine example of the BMMC working for its members and all marshals.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1489179)   #13
insight
Rookie

insight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmm we seem to have been here before !!!!!!!!!! and nothing has been done.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1489186)   #14
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The replies from Robin Knight:

http://www.marshals.co.uk/files/Robi...ht%20reply.pdf

& Colin Hilton:

http://www.marshals.co.uk/files/Coli...on%20reply.pdf

also make interesting reading.

Maybe it's going to take the cancellation of a high-profile meeting through lack of marshals to make people accept the gravity of the situation......
Old 23 Dec 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1489195)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Sadly I have to agree with you Dave. The BMMC can only keep making noises in the right direction and banging the drum about too many meetings, small grids etc etc etc. In the end though I fear it will take a meeting (or more) to be cancelled before people sit up and listen to what has been said for a very long time.

Lets hope a few of those 'at the top' think about this a little more and do something positive before a race cancellation actually happens. Somehow though I doubt it.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1489205)   #16
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is NMSTP?
Old 23 Dec 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1489231)   #17
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something in the letter from Robin Knight concerns me a little...

The bit about not being able to start untill sufficient volunteers are found....

Sounds like they dont mind if someone trawls the paddock and rounds up anyone not doing a job at the time to go stand on the bank to please the Steward..

Sorry but that kind of cover is as bad as no cover at all....

Insufficient numbers should mean no meeting......
Its harsh but its sadly looking like the only way that people will take note..
Old 23 Dec 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1489238)   #18
Davie-c
Racer

Scotland
Armadale,Scotland
Davie-c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
what is NMSTP?
It stands for National Motor Sport Training Plan
Car Scrutineer
BMMC Member
Old 23 Dec 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1489244)   #19
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Lets hope a few of those 'at the top' think about this a little more and do something positive before a race cancellation actually happens. Somehow though I doubt it.
I too am pleased to see Chris put what should be common knowledge within racing clubs down on paper and off to the MSA.

However, Stephen, I think that you place too much faith in those at the top as you call them making decisions that will please those of as at the bottom of the food chain.

As marshals, we generally provide little or no income for the clubs/MSA. We may spend our own money providing a service from which a club may derive an income, but when it comes down to it, we are not a major revenue source. Competitors/entrants are.

There has been for the last 2 years a meeting at Brands Hatch that has been less than popular with a large number of marshals. Including some chiefs.
It's not a traditional race meeting as we know it, but it's very popular with some of the public. I presume it's also an earner for the club.
This year I put up a link that gave the timetable for that meeting, by all accounts this made me less than popular with some higher ups.
Why?
As I said, some higher ups also had reservations about the lack of racing activity on that weekend. What I apparently did wrong was highlight it in a public area. So what we had from above was that the preferred option seemed to be "keep quiet and enough of them will turn up".

Marshalling depends a lot on a common group identity and activity (hence the lone marshal on post syndrome being loathed). So we hate to let down our friends, but if these same friends are letting us down by tacitly putting on dross timetables and useless race series together, then sorry, I vote with my feet.

As Chris said NMSTP on it's own is not enough.

Likewise 10/10ths is not just a home for loud mouthed malcontents, it's just a new way of expression. I've heard grumbles from fellow marshals for years at training days, on the bank, at AGMs, some trivial, some serious, usually listened to, but rarely acted on.

But hey, as Arnie says - "I'll be back" - cos good racing is worth it, as is the company of friends.

Merry Christmas n' Happy New Year peeps, hope to see many of you that venture to Brands in 2006 - Al
Old 23 Dec 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1489346)   #20
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Mr Snatcher! And, Gulp!, Well said Chris (I never thought I'd ever say that!) At least Chris is voicing our fears in the right direction - Towards the MSA etc.

As I look back on this year, one meeting gave me huge grounds for optimism. I refer to the A1 GP Weekend, when we had 3 full days, up to 6.30 on the Sunday, with no lunch break. Having to sign on at some rediculous time Friday & Saturday. You would've thought the marshalling force would be in ferment - not a bit of it! We were treated civilly by the Chiefs, had meal vouchers for our breakfast, and a good packed lunch. We were being recognised! We were not being used as cheap labour in order for a few more fat cats to line their wallets. If this is how meetings will be run by whoever - bring 'em on!

I think the trouble starts with the way that we're treated by the Chiefs etc. Most of us have resonably responsible jobs and are given a chance to influence our destinies at work, only to come down to the track at weekends to be treated like we just don't count!

Look at the marshals attending 750MC or MG Owners Club races. More often than not all posts are reasonably manned, Why? Check the grids, talk to the Chiefs who realise they must be civil and comunicate with the marshals - whatever rank or duty.

Goodness knows the last few weeks have shown us the "Greying" of our ranks. Where are the Cagneys and Rods of the future? More than likely at weekends they are roaming the High Streets and Malls bored, out of their tree. Some might relish a new hobby...

Lets try and be positive in 2006. That doesn't mean trying to put a positive spin on ANOTHER lunch break down the Gary Glitter. If you are disgruntled by something, talk to someone who can do something about it. By all means garner support in these august threads, but do something, have a good moan to the Chief Marshal. Yoiu never know!

Rant over, I'll put my sling back on, take some painkillers and retreat for the season. Goodnight England!
Old 23 Dec 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1489433)   #21
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing that really gets my goat in the letter form Colin Hilton is going on about getting new marshals. yes I know we need new blood, but shouldn't more be done to keep the marshals we have got? Why bring in new blood, if within a few years they grow disenchanted and give up - let's make them want to stay!

Bravo to Chris Hobson for this - really must sort out renewing my membership!
Old 23 Dec 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1489487)   #22
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravo Chris Hobson, it's been too long coming from the BMMC(One reason why I left!). I do wonder how much notice it will get from the people who matter?

I think Colin Hiltons' reply smacks of a standard letter, sounds like the ones I get from my MP stating policy & thankyou for my interest?

The MSA has no Teeth when it comes to dictating to Circuit Owners and Race/Championship organisers and as said to me a few years ago by One Championship Co-ord' when threatened with rule changes he didn't agree with by the MSA, "we don't have to run under their Licence"!

I have said this many times, a lot of people are out there to make a 'buck' out of this, they will do whatever is necessary to run a Meeting, including the 'Volunteers from the Audience' (Well Paddock) scenario as a sop to their Insurance requirements and sadly the only time anyone sits up and takes notice is when people get hurt. Realistically I fear the looming Influence of the H&SE may in future be the only way forward!

I wish Chris the very best of Luck with the task and I do hope something positive comes out of it.

Stay safe,

Rgrds, Jim Lamb
Old 23 Dec 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1489493)   #23
insight
Rookie

insight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
This time its been said in public and to those who need to hear it! Another fine example of the BMMC working for its members and all marshals.
The BMMC working for it members and all marshals this has been a long time coming. A first in my book.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 01:06 (Ref:1489530)   #24
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Problems along these lines have been said to the MSA before...several times...and recently, by another respected member of the motorsport community as well as this letter from Chris and yet nothing has been done about it. They will not listen to what is being said unfortunately.

As some one has already said, a high profile meeting will have to be disrupted or called off for them to take notice.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1489598)   #25
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lamb

"The MSA has no Teeth when it comes to dictating to Circuit Owners"
ermmm excuse me but who issues track licences & event permits?