Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Aug 2020, 10:11 (Ref:3994916)   #1
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bell's Bike Ride

There seems to be a nucleus of people who'd be up for a social bike ride in memory of Mike so I thought I'd bite the bullet and come up with a proposal...

We'll need to get on and do it reasonably quickly while the weather has a chance of being favourable so I suggest the former Revival weekend (12/13 September). I guess the Sunday might suit people better and the roads should be quieter (most of them are very quiet anyway). We could start from Iain's workshop between Henley-on-Thames and Wallingford and do a route that would be suitable for all bike types - road, mountain, hybrid - with possibly a stop or two for refreshments.

WDYT? I'm happy to plan the route and lead.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 12:02 (Ref:3994948)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oooh good idea. I've got my first car event for years on the Saturday, it would be great to have a social on the Sunday.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Aug 2020, 14:42 (Ref:3994983)   #3
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is my bike admissable?
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020169.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	4.82 MB
ID:	63459
Old 12 Aug 2020, 15:13 (Ref:3994996)   #4
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Absolutely - we should get a good tow off you up the hills! Love that chainring, by the way.

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 12 Aug 2020 at 15:28.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 15:34 (Ref:3995000)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep perfect.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 16:58 (Ref:3995010)   #6
Alan Morgan
Veteran

So - Iain, me, Max and Zef so far. Keep the interest coming - it's all going to be about having fun. Nobody is going to be left behind.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 19:55 (Ref:3995031)   #7
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...and perhaps a timely reminder for those who have not already done so to dig deep & give Mary some financial support for her bike ride next month?
Old 13 Aug 2020, 09:24 (Ref:3995108)   #8
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Daniel & I are up for it - I'll mention it to Mike's sister Mary as she is training for a charity ride.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 10:05 (Ref:3995113)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Daniel & I are up for it - I'll mention it to Mike's sister Mary as she is training for a charity ride.
Mary did 60 miles recently, serious stuff.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3995114)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sunday is fine by me. I was due to be at Le Mans that weekend.

Edit: Are we going to do this for a good cause too? How about the BMRMC?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 13 Aug 2020 at 10:44.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 13:07 (Ref:3995165)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Is my bike admissable?
Attachment 63459
Space in the back for cucumber sarnies and a couple of bottles!
Old 13 Aug 2020, 13:13 (Ref:3995169)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Space in the back for cucumber sarnies and a couple of bottles!
I like the way you think.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 13:40 (Ref:3995180)   #13
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Mary did 60 miles recently, serious stuff.
Mary’s 110 mile charity ride is the day before around the same area, so may pop along if she’s able, as I’ve passed on the info.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 20:13 (Ref:3995280)   #14
Mary Bell
Rookie

Mary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, my ride was Sunday 13th but now Saturday 12th so will definitely aim to meet you, sounds a great idea. Not sure if I will be up to riding after 112 miles the day before, sadly, but you never know!!
Old 13 Aug 2020, 20:16 (Ref:3995282)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Bell View Post
Hello, my ride was Sunday 13th but now Saturday 12th so will definitely aim to meet you, sounds a great idea. Not sure if I will be up to riding after 112 miles the day before, sadly, but you never know!!
They won't want you showing them up, Mary. Stand by the road, and criticise, much more fun.
Old 14 Aug 2020, 07:31 (Ref:3995331)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have we decided? Is it the Saturday or the Sunday?

Old 14 Aug 2020, 11:01 (Ref:3995367)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'll just leave this here. my first race of the year!

https://lyddenhill.co.uk/events/hrdc-historic-festival/
Old 14 Aug 2020, 16:18 (Ref:3995418)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Already on the first page of the program!
Old 14 Aug 2020, 22:21 (Ref:3995446)   #19
bauble
Veteran

England
No way am I going to be there, sadly, but I must say that Mike's Bike Ride sounds like a better title for the event.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 07:02 (Ref:3995489)   #20
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Have we decided? Is it the Saturday or the Sunday?

I think we agreed that Sunday was better.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 11:33 (Ref:3995711)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

Fantastic. I should be able to make it then.

This'll be my first time leaving the team to fend for themselves at a race meeting. I'm only worried they'll do a better job than when I'm there

Old 16 Aug 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3995788)   #22
Alan Morgan
Veteran

I've got a couple of routes in mind. They both start and end at Iain's workshop where Iain can make shower facilities available if anyone feels the need.

One ride is 30km and the other about 50km. I would suggest the shorter route as it's probably more suitable for a mixed group. As the emphasis is very much on the social aspect of the ride, there are two refreshment stops, one in the pretty village of Ewelme for coffee/cake and the other at the King William IV pub in Ipsden which has spectacular views over the fields and hills.

The last couple of km are mainly uphill (ave 3.3%) but the steepest bits are very short so if you need to get off and walk it won't be too far.

Hopefully this link will work...

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33740491
Old 18 Aug 2020, 20:47 (Ref:3996308)   #23
100MTB
Rookie

100MTB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good evening all

I have been following this thread for a few days now and i would be very happy to come and join you on what ever bike ride route you decide on

I look forward to meeting you all

Regards

Graham
Old 19 Aug 2020, 19:46 (Ref:3996544)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

I've just done my first "spinning" class for five months. Every bloody thing hurts, but it's all for the greater good of Mike's Bike Ride.

I'm taking a bit of time off tomorrow so will take the bike to the shop to get the front mech fixed. Hopefully man and machine will be in complete harmony for the big day

Old 20 Aug 2020, 07:53 (Ref:3996600)   #25
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Wonder if we can get our Bob to come along. Very much looking forward to this event. I will do a BBQ when we Finnish back at Delta HQ
.Keep training Max. Please dont get put off if anyone wants to come who is not regular biker. We can sort out a couple of groups. Morgan can do the fast group and I will lead the slow.
Everyone welcome.