Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 13 Jan 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3792518)   #5371
tomerswayler
Rookie

tomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Defining the stint consumption in kg is a more precise way to do it. The rules want to limit the energy from the fuel and the energy in one kg doesn't change with temperature while the energy per volume does.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 23:41 (Ref:3792572)   #5372
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!
The privateers have significantly more favourable aerodynamic regulations with a lower splitter, larger diffuser, larger diveplanes, and larger rear wing so I wouldn't assume Toyota has an advantage there.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 03:34 (Ref:3792609)   #5373
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
The privateers have significantly more favourable aerodynamic regulations with a lower splitter, larger diffuser, larger diveplanes, and larger rear wing so I wouldn't assume Toyota has an advantage there.
That's what's being overlooked imo. Plus all the cars are going to be all new or mostly new besides the Toyota. It's up to those guys to do 3:14's in qualifying and 3:18's in the race. No more slowing the fastest guy, it's speeding up the slower guy which imo is the right thing to do. Especially seeing the lmp2 speeds and knowing they'll be improving too.

It's pretty logical to drop some fuel allowance for the Toyota because they're much more efficient. So they will try their best to improve there to make a possible 12 lap stint. That should be around what the private teams do. Kolles was capable of doing a 3:21 but didn't get a clear lap. This will be their second year with the new Nismo engine so it should be much more familiar to them. The only piece of the puzzle left is Rebellion.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 04:16 (Ref:3792613)   #5374
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Ok, I didn't know about that. Sounds promising.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3792644)   #5375
tomerswayler
Rookie

tomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's the fastest laptime of a non hybrid car around Le Mans in the last ten years and under what set of regulations (weight, fuel limits) was it set?
Old 14 Jan 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3792645)   #5376
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerswayler View Post
What's the fastest laptime of a non hybrid car around Le Mans in the last ten years and under what set of regulations (weight, fuel limits) was it set?
guess 2008 pole marked by 908HDi in 3.18.

Regs were 930kg for diesels, 81L fuel tank, 800hp@5000rpm and torque over 1300Nm
Old 14 Jan 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3792646)   #5377
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW private lmp1 have aero parts waivers, toyota has TMG engineers army.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3792693)   #5378
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
guess 2008 pole marked by 908HDi in 3.18.

Regs were 930kg for diesels, 81L fuel tank, 800hp@5000rpm and torque over 1300Nm
Air restrictors were a nuisance for the old diesels still

Anyway those comparisons are utterly meaningless at LM. The track is probably 3-5 or more seconds faster now than in 2008 thanks to the asphalt runoffs next to every corner now. It may not sound like much but if you gain extra micro seconds everywhere by cutting corners and getting greater acceleration for the next straight, you will be picking up speed like never before. In addition this year Sarthe will also be 3 meters shorter
Old 14 Jan 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3792700)   #5379
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
3-5 seconds? Crikey!
Old 14 Jan 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3792704)   #5380
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that's just my estimation as it's hard to tell exactly considering there's not been a sudden radical change, but rather a very gradual slide over number of years. Also the regulative changes have tended to collide with years when there's been visibly larger scale modifications (like 2014)

Sebring will provide the best ground for comparing as it's not been the victim of sanitation or other revamps over the years, next year we will have clear indication of where modern LMP1 stands in contrast to the past
Old 14 Jan 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3792708)   #5381
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think that significantly over states it, but we know your estimations on it. I’m not saying the run off isn’t important, but it’s more about consistent lap time and making it easier to get up to the limit rather than absolute lap time. And, of course, not punishing mistakes with a time penalty, or damage, or injury. The impact on lap time? It’s not that much.

Corner speed and exit speed for the straight is way more important in slower racing and it just doesn’t make proportionally that much impact based on my experience.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3792736)   #5382
canaglia
Veteran

Asphalted runoff were introduced in 2006 or 2007 if am I not wrong, were already there in 2008.
Mulsanne Straight was revamped in 2012 or 2013, because of that guess 2008 and 2010 908HDi could be even faster.

Useless to say that aero and tires development was considerably poor compared to nowadays lmp1's.
Considering also that 908HDi always ran overweighted and >1000Nm were available every second the car was on track....
we could say that 2008 pole was a display of mere brute power.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 01:15 (Ref:3792781)   #5383
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
3-5 seconds? Crikey!
This just gave me an idea, what if they kept an old car from a few years ago (let's say an R18) and kept some of the old tires and re rar and the car after they make adjustments to the track to see what the lap times are compared to what they were with the car previously. I'd watch that!
Old 15 Jan 2018, 01:19 (Ref:3792783)   #5384
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
This just gave me an idea, what if they kept an old car from a few years ago (let's say an R18) and kept some of the old tires and re rar and the car after they make adjustments to the track to see what the lap times are compared to what they were with the car previously. I'd watch that!
That's the main reason I like to see the LM classic cars run even though I know they somewhat baby them around.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3792817)   #5385
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerswayler View Post
I would look into what was performance decrease when Porsche hybrid system failed, as far as I know they had only ERS-H working but they couldn't use battery for boosting with full power, that meant also no energy from ERS-K.

I can't remember when and what circuit was this, but I'm sure someone will dig out the details. I know I was surprised that decrease was only around 2 seconds per lap. Later the rules forbid running with defective hybrid system.

All in all IMO, when someone throws a lot of time and money into privateer LMP1 project, Toyota may as well pack their bags and go home. Luckily for this year time is running out, so they have the chance, but for next year there will have to be an EOT adjustment.