Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Jan 2020, 19:32 (Ref:3950691)   #166
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a disappointing entry with no local guest entries. There's also 6-car non-championship support series for local Australian prototypes which could've easily been integrated to the grid (or at least invited them, much as with the Porsche Cup at Shanghai 2018) instead of making it utterly pointless like this

Anyway, of course our hearts should be with the awful fires roaming on the other parts of the continent
Old 10 Jan 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3950824)   #167
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer has a real shot at the podium!Tourer has a real shot at the podium!Tourer has a real shot at the podium!Tourer has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It's a disappointing entry with no local guest entries. There's also 6-car non-championship support series for local Australian prototypes which could've easily been integrated to the grid (or at least invited them, much as with the Porsche Cup at Shanghai 2018) instead of making it utterly pointless like this

Anyway, of course our hearts should be with the awful fires roaming on the other parts of the continent
There's actually a few locals racing in both LMP3 and LMP2 - by my count 6-7 I think. No "all Oz" cars though.

The local prototypes are Radicals and Wolf primarily, combined with production cars. The local "prototypes" are not set up for in-race refuelling as a starting point and I think that this by itself has stopped any consideration of adding them to the ALMS field.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 10:46 (Ref:3950825)   #168
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
There's actually a few locals racing in both LMP3 and LMP2 - by my count 6-7 I think. No "all Oz" cars though.

The local prototypes are Radicals and Wolf primarily, combined with production cars. The local "prototypes" are not set up for in-race refuelling as a starting point and I think that this by itself has stopped any consideration of adding them to the ALMS field.
Yes I meant primarly local (LMP3) cars

Alright thanks that's sufficient explanation
Old 10 Jan 2020, 14:24 (Ref:3950855)   #169
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Yes I meant primarly local (LMP3) cars
Is there any LMP3 in Australia? Not those racing in Asian LMS meeting indeed.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3950876)   #170
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Fast class times/speeds for Friday:
LMP2- 2:36.496 (111.062 mph), Ligier P217
LMP2-AM- 2:46.312 (104.507 mph), Oreca 05
LMP3- 2:53.378 (100.286 mph), Norma M30
GT- 2:59.913 (96.607 mph), Lamborghini Hurucan GT3

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/01/10...e-at-the-bend/

A number of comments about the "driving challenge" of the track, while Ross Gunn in the Aston thinks traffic will be a "mess", especially in Sector 2, with overtaking generally being "difficult". Van Gisbergen noted the 30-second-a-lap difference between LMP2 and GT. It's also mentioned more than once the importance of the current LMP2 levels of downforce in actually making any kind of lap time.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/asia...s-at-the-bend/
Old 10 Jan 2020, 22:26 (Ref:3950953)   #171
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Is there any LMP3 in Australia? Not those racing in Asian LMS meeting indeed.

There’s no local LMP3 cars..yet..Only one announced car for the local LMP3 series so far. I’m surprised we didn’t see any local GT entries as there’s plenty of cars here. Some teams would be busy prepping for Bathurst 12hr at months end but thats certainly not the majority.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 23:21 (Ref:3950954)   #172
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Here's a link for the Qualifying stream which will be coming up in a few hours. This will basically be the first proper look we get at the cars going around the Long Course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJnv...E&pbjreload=10
Old 11 Jan 2020, 05:26 (Ref:3950972)   #173
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Fast class imes/speeds of the weekend:
LMP2- 2:35.418 (111.833 mph), Practice 2
LMP2-Am- 2:43.235 (106.477 mph), Qualifying
LMP3- 2:50.802 (101.760 mph), Qualifying
GT- 2:56.109 (98.693 mph), Qualifying

And my bad from earlier. I had the Practice 1 times, but just found the P2 times, which changes things just a bit. And LMP3 and LMP2 Qualifying both had red flags.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 23:29 (Ref:3951110)   #174
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
The stream starts in 90 minutes, the race itself in 2 hours or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDF...I&pbjreload=10
Old 14 Jan 2020, 06:14 (Ref:3951522)   #175
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at the track and really enjoyed the race . Went for a ride in the Brabham (wow!) those P2 cars are awesome and also spoke to ACO Boss who confirmed that convergence talks regarding Hypercar and DPi are “a secret”. Fillon also went for a ride in the Brabham BT62. Better than the B12 I reckon! Hope it is on next year (or WEC?).
Old 11 Feb 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3956939)   #176
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 has a real shot at the championship!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the championship!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the championship!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the championship!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the championship!
Sepang is this weekend, with 23 cars: 9 LMP2, 8 LMP3 and 6 GT3.

http://www.asianlemansseries.com/cal...ng/race-lineup
Old 16 Feb 2020, 01:27 (Ref:3957770)   #177
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I haven't watched it through yet, but it looks like there was an extended hold, or two, during the Sepang race for significant rainfall. I was suspicious about that after seeing that the run time for the full stream was about what you'd expect for a 6-hour, rather than a 4-hour race.

I held off, because I didn't want to rain on CCM's parade, and then it kind of slipped my mind. Anyway, I managed to do it, watching most all of the race from Tailem Bend, but the bad sign was how mentally tired I was afterward from, presumably, keeping track of where on the circuit the cars in shot were.

To give an idea, I'd say I feel I have to break up a lap at The Bend into 9 segments. The nearest parallel, Miller in Utah, I consider it adequate to split it into just 5 sections. Even the Nordschleife, I only separate into 10, and those are long enough that you don't have to keep track of them all at once. You know which one you're in, and the one or two that are coming up next. And as a final example, Le Mans, which has roughly the same number of corners as The Bend, I probably only see the need to recognize about 6 distinct sectors there.

I still just don't see The Bend as a great option for the WEC, with more cars, and more competitive classes. The back side of the course, as expected by the drivers, so it wasn't just me, was troublesome enough in the AsLMS, even with lower-class traffic that was, largely, fairly courteous about letting faster-class cars through where and when they could. And while the WEC doesn't have LMP3, the GTEs will corner better than the GT3s, making a harder time for the Prototypes to get by.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 11:09 (Ref:3969094)   #178
Chiana
Veteran

The old non-spec P2 cars have been dropped in favor of more sub-trophy spec P2 cars, and The Bend has been axed in favor of Shanghai. No reason to ever follow this series again either then, got it

Last edited by Chiana; 7 Apr 2020 at 11:15.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 11:30 (Ref:3969097)   #179
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The old non-spec P2 cars have been dropped in favor of more sub-trophy spec P2 cars, and The Bend has been axed in favor of Shanghai. No reason to ever follow this series again either then, got it
OK - I'll bite

The older P2 car class were either ORECAs or Ligiers, were ageing, with engines difficult to source and expensive to rebuild. Some of these cars are already in historic race Series - in fact the Championship winning car (United Ligier JSP2) from Asian Le Mans Series in 2018/19 raced in the Masters Historic Legends Race at Monza, in full Asian LMS livery, just weeks later!

The Bend has been shelved for two reasons this coming season - One the timing of Chinese New Year, an essential matter for any Asian-based product to take account of, the other the reality that the additional expense of freighting to/ from Australia, and the additional travel costs fro the teams, would have been a significant issue for an industry that is REALLY going to struggle in the wake of COVID19.

If you aren't expecting other Series to adopt a similar strategy of cutting back on cost then you can expect to suffer significant further disappointment, or they can expect to see entries dematerialise!
Old 7 Apr 2020, 13:38 (Ref:3969118)   #180
Chiana
Veteran

Whether or not people would have actually continued to come with the old cars is irrelevant to me - well, largely irrelevant anyway. It's banning something out of competition even though they could still be there without actually causing issue to anyone which is the matter. Same is with the available models - yes in actuality what you got here was the old Oak and Oreca coupes and nothing else, but you could have also entered SMP or Dome or even HPD-ARX 04 if you wished. That might have happened, something you can't even dream of doing in the spec Oreca 07 land. Same goes for engines, yes they are ageing but Nissan was not the only choice. There could have been leeway given there to the specifications. Finally as for the historic usage, I will always go back to Saleen S7-R which was running in historics years before even winning Le Mans 24 Hours. Other great example is Oreca FLM09 of course

Obviously the point given for the effect of COVID-19 is justified - although it's still disappointment as it's own thing - but the Chinese new year break is something they could've avoided by not having the winter calendar altogether. Or more easily arranging the dates differently even in this format.

Now, the biggest tragedy here is that after the promising signs earlier on, this is a series could have been the last safe haven for old cars rejected by everyone else. This includes not only the old non-spec LMP2s but also the newer generation LMP1s. But no, they will be directed to trash bin after only brief amount of running, and what you will get instead is the likes of "Aurus"