Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Nov 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3939942)   #676
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The old FIA GT races there were pretty fun but I think racing in twilight would've really made it spectacular
Old 11 Nov 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3939993)   #677
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
NASCAR Speedweeks is only 9 days. In '07 IndyCar tested Wednesday-Thursday on the off week between the 24 Hours and ARCA. The main reason there's that gap is because of the Super Bowl.

Mexico City seems the most desirable but depends on the government.
The actual on track team activity yes, but the track prep is much more than the teams and the teams are there for almost 3 full weeks in Daytona. There is ZERO open time in February for another event. It's a non starter using Daytona for WEC.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 19:41 (Ref:3940016)   #678
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
If they could run Grand Am and Cup on the same day in '09 I think they can manage to run ARCA 5 days after a road race or whatever if they felt like it, it's not as if most of the infield campers are there the first weekend.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3940023)   #679
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
If they could run Grand Am and Cup on the same day in '09 I think they can manage to run ARCA 5 days after a road race or whatever if they felt like it, it's not as if most of the infield campers are there the first weekend.
You obviously haven't met the FIA then...

Surely Mexico City is on pole for this one, it ticks quite a few - if not all - of the boxes that will be left open by Interlagos' exit (too bad as I like it way better than MC but alas). Shouldn't affect logistics to Florida too much either and average weather in February looks okay (better than Texas that time of year anyway).

CotA could work if they bring it to late February - and have World Challenge on the support bill - giving the circus about three weeks to move from Texas to Florida and have it there for Sebring test weekend/St. Pete GP. Weather might be a challenge though as we saw a few years ago for the PWC opener early March.

Portrero easily wins the popular vote - has Neveu even heard of the place?
Old 11 Nov 2019, 20:12 (Ref:3940027)   #680
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
You obviously haven't met the FIA then...

Surely Mexico City is on pole for this one, it ticks quite a few - if not all - of the boxes that will be left open by Interlagos' exit (too bad as I like it way better than MC but alas). Shouldn't affect logistics to Florida too much either and average weather in February looks okay (better than Texas that time of year anyway).

CotA could work if they bring it to late February - and have World Challenge on the support bill - giving the circus about three weeks to move from Texas to Florida and have it there for Sebring test weekend/St. Pete GP. Weather might be a challenge though as we saw a few years ago for the PWC opener early March.

Portrero easily wins the popular vote - has Neveu even heard of the place?

if am I now wrong, COTA will be unavailable on winter because are required works to stabilize land below the circuit.
Homestead road course could fit well if they want to stay close to sebring in february.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 20:32 (Ref:3940029)   #681
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do think Mexico is possibly the best call on this one. Grade 1. Hosted not long ago. Not quite South America, but it's close.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 21:50 (Ref:3940040)   #682
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Why is everyone taking as certain that Brazil is out of the calendar?
Old 11 Nov 2019, 22:03 (Ref:3940044)   #683
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
One, financial issues between the ACO and the promoter, and two, the ACO has set a two week ultimatum for either issues to get sorted, or they may look elsewhere.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 07:09 (Ref:3940105)   #684
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a TV watcher I'd be sad to loose Interlagos. It's an old school masterpiece. Even in dry conditions this 3D landscape looks amazing and last sector sequence is exciting to watch - one of the most thrilling views in racing. New Mexico track is 1/10th of that excitement. Ridiculous stadium section and cut off "Parabolica" are true symbols of tilkedroms. The only interesting bit - huge speed - is hidden by teleobjective lenses. That's why South Africa round would be more interesting. But, for obvious logistics reasons they are to go to Mexico.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3940174)   #685
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Doesn't really pertain to this season, but the 2020/21 schedule is due to be released next month, and it might be a 9 race championship, but without Shanghai. Several GT teams, and most of the LMP1 field have objected to the round citing marketing and logistical reasons.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3940185)   #686
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Doesn't really pertain to this season, but the 2020/21 schedule is due to be released next month, and it might be a 9 race championship, but without Shanghai. Several GT teams, and most of the LMP1 field have objected to the round citing marketing and logistical reasons.
I don't believe for a second any WC is skipping China these days. Maybe they're replacing Shanghai with another new track in China?
Old 12 Nov 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3940186)   #687
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Unless the teams' hater-ade (if you want to refer to their objections as such) is directed just at Shanghai being an awkward, strange Tilkedrome, I do think that either you're looking at this from a "China is too big of a market to miss" perspective, or you think that the Shanghai track sucks (it kinda does IMO), or SC365 is blowing such discontent out of proportion.

And even if SC365, who have writers and editors who at least with article titles have been known to blow things out of proportion or embellish such facts, is kinda blowing smoke here, you do have to remember that especially in today's world where it's almost impossible to keep such a secret, where there's smoke, there may be fire.

I can see Toyota and Aston Martin saying that China isn't a huge market for them, or Ferrari or even Porsche. Porsche may be part of Volkswagen Group, but VAG's bread and butter in China are Audi and VW, not Porsche, and Porsche is VAG's sole representative in the WEC as a brand. Combine that with that Shanghai and maybe even China doesn't seem to be a team favorite (and Shanghai for sure isn't a fan favorite based on sentiment here and elsewhere, and the fact that attendance has never been that good), I can see no Shanghai for sure on the WEC calendar next season, and maybe no China at all if the ACO can't get the teams behind it or find a better venue.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3940205)   #688
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I don't believe for a second any WC is skipping China these days. Maybe they're replacing Shanghai with another new track in China?
Zhuhai is perfectly fine and shouldn't have been dropped from ILMC days
Old 12 Nov 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3940235)   #689
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Mexico City may be in Latin America, but close to South America? Well, not exactly. It's just shy of 2,000 miles, as the crow flies, from Mexico City to Bogota, Colombia; so it's basically twice as far as from Mexico City to El Paso, Texas. Sao Paulo is just over 4,600 miles from Mexico City.

Yeah, Interlagos gets my juices going more than either the new Kyalami, or especially the redone Mexico City. Interlagos is a roller-coaster ride, and in that last sector, Bico de Pato to Juncao is a textbook example of how to make a great sequence that's also excellent for overtaking: downhill acceleration zone, uphill braking zone.

Zhuhai hasn't been consistently on the international racing calendar, and isn't Grade 1. With this being an official FIA World Championship, they may also be more sticklers for the regs, in which case, Zhuhai would technically be considered on the short side for a Prototype and GT endurance race. All that said, yes, I'd personally take Zhuhai over Shanghai, or just about any of the other Chinese options.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 20:51 (Ref:3940252)   #690
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Mexico City may be in Latin America, but close to South America? Well, not exactly. It's just shy of 2,000 miles, as the crow flies, from Mexico City to Bogota, Colombia; so it's basically twice as far as from Mexico City to El Paso, Texas. Sao Paulo is just over 4,600 miles from Mexico City.

Yeah, Interlagos gets my juices going more than either the new Kyalami, or especially the redone Mexico City. Interlagos is a roller-coaster ride, and in that last sector, Bico de Pato to Juncao is a textbook example of how to make a great sequence that's also excellent for overtaking: downhill acceleration zone, uphill braking zone.

Zhuhai hasn't been consistently on the international racing calendar, and isn't Grade 1. With this being an official FIA World Championship, they may also be more sticklers for the regs, in which case, Zhuhai would technically be considered on the short side for a Prototype and GT endurance race. All that said, yes, I'd personally take Zhuhai over Shanghai, or just about any of the other Chinese options.
Well, if you're talking geography then lets be fair - everything is relative. broadrun96 was right that they can't just go off to Australia with AsLMS because they need to be on the same side of the world as the US to move everything to Sebring. Brazil fitted that, and Mexico fits it too. In terms of the logistics of moving cars about to Sebring, Mexico is close enough to Brazil that it works.

I would prefer Kyalami, or The Bend, but the logistics of it aren't happening. Especially now that WEC does surface transport, not flights.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 03:45 (Ref:3940299)   #691
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, going south and then back north is about equivalent to a Pacific crossing. So, ideally, you'd like to double up, and if they're expanding the calendar, do Brazil and South Africa in one go, for instance. However, maybe it'll have to be Australia and South Africa in the end.

Hopefully, this all gets sorted out, and they don't need to go to one of the alternates; no, I'm not holding my breath on it though.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3940361)   #692
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For a flavour of what we almost certainly won't get, here is a Sports & GT race on the current Kyalami layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3__QoHDx0g

And a quick onboard lap (from an A1GP car).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldhXIBBlIM
Old 13 Nov 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3940383)   #693
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
For a flavour of what we almost certainly won't get, here is a Sports & GT race on the current Kyalami layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3__QoHDx0g

And a quick onboard lap (from an A1GP car).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldhXIBBlIM
Not my favorite track of all time but as dull as it was for F1 all those years back, it might actually be well suited for multi class SC&GT racing, seems the track is good enough (albeit somewhat on the twisty side with hardly any high speed turns) and track limits should be less of an issue than Mexico City or CotA - which I think we would all see as a plus. If anything, it'll be fresh air compared to aforementioned tracks, even if it were to be for only once! With the track being tied to Porsche, similar to how Fuji is to Toyota, let's hope it pushes for a Kyalami visit.

On the clip itself: love that extremely diverse field with, what, over 30 cars or so? And did I see the good old Sintura GT in there (the gold car around 8th place)? Very cool, thanks for posting Mike!

Edit: and let's add that series as a support race to the event!
Old 13 Nov 2019, 19:50 (Ref:3940463)   #694
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The track is kind of dull, but at least there's defined track limits. The layout isn't too complicated nor is it too cookie cutter.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 20:44 (Ref:3940475)   #695
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Harder to say for the GTs, but for the LMPs, the Kink, Jukskei, Sunset, the Esses, Mineshaft, and Cheetah should all be plenty quick. The current LMP2s ought to be faster than the A1GP car, and the LMP1s even quicker than that.

I'll definitely take the reduced specter of track limits, and in most places around the lap, there's enough room between corners for some possible traffic negotiation.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 06:56 (Ref:3940518)   #696
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kyalami looks a bit narrow but there're plenty of interesting corners with elevation changes (It wasn't Tilke who reconstructed this track, was it?). Cameras are located quite well bringing some effect of "waves" with cars diving and rising atop of the hills in a single shot. Should be a perfect track for national class prototypes and powered touring cars. Would be interesting to watch WEC too. I hope there would be more enthusiasm among local fans than in some other countries which are blessed to have international racing events.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3940520)   #697
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
I hope there would be more enthusiasm among local fans than in some other countries which are blessed to have international racing events.
Let's see how many turn up for the 9 Hours at the end of this month.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3940551)   #698
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That's the first time I've seen footage of cars racing at the revised Kyalami and it looks good
Old 21 Nov 2019, 09:47 (Ref:3941906)   #699
Mike E
Veteran

"FIA WEC CEO Gerard Neveu will be in attendance this weekend. Kyalami is understood to be on the shortlist of potential replacements for February’s Six Hours of Sao Paulo, which is in question due to financial issues with the promoter and local government.

***The WEC has also suggested interest in the South African circuit for the future, with Kyalami having been listed on a questionnaire sent to teams for possible new events for the 2020-21 schedule or beyond."

https://sportscar365.com/sro/igtc/ky...sday-notebook/
Old 25 Nov 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3942769)   #700
Coach Ep
Veteran

Update on the possible (likely?) Interlaces cancellation and potential replacement(s) - seems Kyalami is out, leaving Mexico City and CotA:

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...-future-round/

Man, you just gotta love Neveu's continuous delusions of grandeur...