Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Dec 2020, 09:31 (Ref:4022305)   #676
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
They better not make it too complicated, there is no longer anyone left in pitlane to explain it
Old 13 Dec 2020, 11:21 (Ref:4022558)   #677
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Won't supercharged engines be prone to heat soak and losing power in racing applications of sustained full throttle?

Heat soak is a big problem with the superchared Chevrolet specials (like the ZL1 1LE) compared to the naturally aspirated Ford GT350 counterpart AFAIK.

So if you are going to need an elaborate air-to-water or air-to-air intercooler anyway, why not just fit a more efficient turbocharging system instead of a supercharger?

Well, why wouldn't we be talking about hybrids?

Efficiency is king in motoring, is it not, particularly in California, China, the EU... It's all about reducing emissions -- manufacturers & city councils (the one that greenlight those lavish street races that Supercars loves) will not be interested in a series that glorifies consumption and doesn't make any effort to appear green...

That the prime movers and 737s that transport the equipment and personnel use more fuel on one trip than the race cars in the whole series is besides the point!
Superchargers are far more linear in their performance but either could make the desired power characteristics easier to achieve with very little effort. I still think that hybrids will decimate SC but I am willing to be proven wrong. The whole thing must be verging on being viable due to what is now happening and how the series has to be run because of it. I don't know how much it costs a team to run at Bathurst but a race last October, one early next year and another in October again must be pushing things. At the least it must cost one engine per event = $$$.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 11:26 (Ref:4022559)   #678
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Superchargers? I didn’t think enough people used them anymore, especially since turbos took over
Old 14 Dec 2020, 00:18 (Ref:4022782)   #679
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Superchargers? I didn’t think enough people used them anymore, especially since turbos took over
Manufacturers use them, not just aftermarket, particularly US manufacturers.

There are supercharged versions of Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Jeeps etc plus Mercedes-Benz of course.

Fastest version of the Mustang here in Oz is Supercharged, HSVs were supercharged over the last 3 years or so of being built.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 08:18 (Ref:4022816)   #680
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Audi also use Superchargers a lot now. Dont suffer from turbo lag.
Doesnt someone offer a set up with blower and supercharger (Twin-charging?) which kick in at different stages of the rev range.- Supercharger for low down torque and turbo for higher revs..... or have i just made that up.....

I know the Lancia Delta used to but pretty sure Volvo do so now in their Polestar performance cars.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 08:33 (Ref:4022822)   #681
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tesla drivers use Superchargers regularly.

Superchargers are a lot more common though than some may think.

The majority of Jaguar and Land Rover models (if not all) carry a SC version.
Dodge Charger and Challenger, Jeep Grand Cheroke, Volvo #90 models (turbo and SC), Ford Mustang, Toyota Yaris GRMN, Mini John Cooper Works GP.....
Old 14 Dec 2020, 08:34 (Ref:4022823)   #682
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

I know the Lancia Delta used to but pretty sure Volvo do so now in their Polestar performance cars.
Volvo XC90 T8 is one example. 'The All-New XC90 T8 Twin Engine uses a powerful electric motor in conjunction with a supercharged and turbocharged engine to create 400hp.'
Old 15 Dec 2020, 11:20 (Ref:4023045)   #683
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Your opinion which others do not agree with and your opinion is not infallible by any stretch of the imagination including yours. Your quote does not represent the context it was written in and certainly does not represent in any way that I like or dislike two litre cars. Please don't put words into my mouth that I never intended and are totally out of context.
2 litre has been the best option overall for a while. I was expecting more from a competitor than to ask the question you did. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
You're right - I did miss that line from the journalist (poorly written, poor use of words & in fact not accurate) not from Supercars.
Absolutely from cochrane/supercars. The stench of arrogance is so great but I think you're used to it and like it that way. That's how there's such a blatant oversight from you.

Imagine all the other oversights you had in you interest in motor racing?
Old 15 Dec 2020, 11:23 (Ref:4023046)   #684
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
The sound is not the real point, you can have a crazy loud four cylinder engine with big turbos making big HP. But you can never make that engine produce the sound and FEEL of the HP that a big displacement V8 or V10-V12 gives you. The horsepower travels right through your body. Get a Trans Am car 750+hp coming straight in to the lane from the track and pull the front clip off and climb into that bad boy while is running. The heat is one thing 'feels like you're in a fire' you are shaking you're not sure if it's your nerves or the car why your legs and hands are shaking. Your head is right by the carb and you can't hear a thing over the vacuum. With the big cam at idle your eyes start to sting. The driver give it a stab to clear it out which scares the crap out of you. No four cylinder will do that!

You be in the pits when the call comes across race radio 'pit lane is open' and twenty odd big banger all fire up at the same time, like the gates of hell has just opened. Makes you jump! No four cylinder will do that!
that's what the people like, a TQ midget will never make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck like a 900HP sprint car can. When they go on track all eyes are on them, it's not time for the toilet.

V8s have always been big in this part of the world, when they go so will many fans. Fans the sport needs, these are not the golden years. Motor racing is more than just watching objects go round a track to see which one comes first.
Alright, we get it. You are not actually interested in car racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
2 LTR Cars and Im done.

Over and out
Yeah, but let's face it. If it's that much of a deal breaker, then you're not really interested in car racing that much in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
MY thoughts, find no interest in them sadly.

maybe it stems from my interest and involvement in 10,000 HP Nitro Engines
Woah, the theatregoers are tough these days!
Old 15 Dec 2020, 14:08 (Ref:4023068)   #685
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Alright, we get it. You are not actually interested in car racing.

Yeah, but let's face it. If it's that much of a deal breaker, then you're not really interested in car racing that much in the first place.

Woah, the theatregoers are tough these days!
Mate been involved in all forms of motorsport the past 40 years and still going. But yep as you said, not really interested in car racing. Leave the TCR Series excitement to you then.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 21:49 (Ref:4023150)   #686
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
2 litre has been the best option overall for a while.
In your opinion. There are lots of other options and lots of other opinions. People are allowed to have a different one from you.

I don't mind 2 litres. The old BMW 320 screaming down the back straight at Donington was a joyous thing. However for me, TCR sound flat as anything, and are generally dull unless crashing into each other. Which they seem to do a lot of.

In my opinion, of course. I realise you will have a different one and that's fine you're equally welcome to it. It's the way you continually express it which is upsetting the crowd.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 22:00 (Ref:4023152)   #687
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Audi also use Superchargers a lot now. Dont suffer from turbo lag.
Doesnt someone offer a set up with blower and supercharger (Twin-charging?) which kick in at different stages of the rev range.- Supercharger for low down torque and turbo for higher revs..... or have i just made that up.....

Subaru (or for the Kiwi's Sue-bah-rah!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru...ird_generation)
Old 15 Dec 2020, 22:19 (Ref:4023158)   #688
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Absolutely from cochrane/supercars. The stench of arrogance is so great but I think you're used to it and like it that way. That's how there's such a blatant oversight from you.

Imagine all the other oversights you had in you interest in motor racing?
Cocho hasn't been part of Supercars for many years now, the article in question came out a week ago - you're barking up the wrong tree there.

No arrogance evident or "blatant oversight" on my part - statement made by a journalist, simple as that, not by Supercars.

Wouldn't be many oversights by me over the years, I tend to be fairly analytical and detail-oriented but it's quite possible that in in over 30 years working professionally in motor racing here & overseas there might be the odd thing I've missed.

Suggest that you may want to take a chill pill or three - no need to be critical or have a go at me or anyone else, it's a discussion, not a prize fight.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 10:00 (Ref:4023391)   #689
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
2 litre has been the best option overall for a while. I was expecting more from a competitor than to ask the question you did. .
Don't try your psychology on me, it won't work. Others may fall for your bait that you are posting in a forum that has got noting to do with two litre racing so I think you would get a better reception elsewhere. As I said previously your opinion is yours but it is not mine.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 10:21 (Ref:4023395)   #690
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Don't try your psychology on me, it won't work. Others may fall for your bait that you are posting in a forum that has got noting to do with two litre racing so I think you would get a better reception elsewhere. As I said previously your opinion is yours but it is not mine.
Interesting point you bring up, this section of the TenTenths forum is called Australasian Touring cars. TCR are not conceived, built or developed in Australia so strictly speaking cannot be called Australasian touring cars. They are touring cars built mainly in Europe and raced in limited numbers in Australia.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 10:58 (Ref:4023398)   #691
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Interesting point you bring up, this section of the TenTenths forum is called Australasian Touring cars. TCR are not conceived, built or developed in Australia so strictly speaking cannot be called Australasian touring cars. They are touring cars built mainly in Europe and raced in limited numbers in Australia.
Which raises the further point.
If TCR is not Australasian, then can Supercars (as it currently stands) be considered Australasian when the cars are conceived and built in Europe/USA and raced with similar numbers as TCR in Australia?

Old 17 Dec 2020, 11:29 (Ref:4023408)   #692
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
*Gets popcorn*
Old 17 Dec 2020, 12:28 (Ref:4023417)   #693
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Which raises the further point.
If TCR is not Australasian, then can Supercars (as it currently stands) be considered Australasian when the cars are conceived and built in Europe/USA and raced with similar numbers as TCR in Australia?

Nice stir, the cars, i.e. chassis, running gear, suspension is all Australian conceived, designed, built and developed, the facsimile bodywork is vaguely based on overseas "cars". Your turn 😇
Old 17 Dec 2020, 19:35 (Ref:4023481)   #694
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Nice stir, the cars, i.e. chassis, running gear, suspension is all Australian conceived, designed, built and developed, the facsimile bodywork is vaguely based on overseas "cars". Your turn 😇
Where are the engine blocks cast that Aussie's designed?

Isn't the transaxle purchased from a company based in Great Britain?

Has any Touring Car that has competed in the ATCC / Supercars competition ever met your criteria above?
Old 18 Dec 2020, 20:08 (Ref:4023774)   #695
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Has any Touring Car that has competed in the ATCC / Supercars competition ever met your criteria above?
Engine cast in Fishermen's Bend, no, with hand-rubbed Perkins block? Holiinger gearbox from Kilsyth South, Melbourne too.

I guess the door panel dies are Opel items so that scruppers the Australian-ness. Bugger.

https://youtu.be/eLO93f_m22w?t=3208
Old 18 Dec 2020, 22:25 (Ref:4023793)   #696
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

I guess the door panel dies are Opel items so that scruppers the Australian-ness. Bugger.
I think the body scrapes in under the "vaguely based on overseas "cars"" criteria.

But the Dunlop tyres were made in Japan from memory.

And the Falcon?

Despite the Cleveland blocks for the Group C cars being cast here, the design work was North American based. It is possible no Fords that raced in the ATCC / Supercars meet this criteria.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 08:53 (Ref:4023849)   #697
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
*Gets popcorn*
Get me a beer while you are there.
Old 22 Dec 2020, 02:37 (Ref:4024491)   #698
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
So, according to this article, Camaro could be on it's way back to Oz.

GM has pushed the end of production out to 2026 at earliest and combination of better exchange rate and no doubt better deal due to GMSV joint venture should see the Camaro pricing closer to Mustang than was the case before.
Old 22 Dec 2020, 02:59 (Ref:4024498)   #699
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

GM has pushed the end of production out to 2026 at earliest and combination of better exchange rate and no doubt better deal due to GMSV joint venture should see the Camaro pricing closer to Mustang than was the case before.
Just in time to follow the Mustangs sales figures down, down, down
Old 22 Dec 2020, 05:42 (Ref:4024511)   #700
bloxsidgemotorsport
Rookie

bloxsidgemotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Thats great news. there is atleast 5 years of running the camaro.
Closed Thread