Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Dec 2020, 10:50 (Ref:4024531)   #701
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It what the series needs to help give it strength. Needed some more new cars to show it still has a place and the Camaro has got some longevity in it too, which means it will be relevant for a while longer
Old 22 Dec 2020, 19:00 (Ref:4024626)   #702
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Just in time to follow the Mustangs sales figures down, down, down
Maybe not to start with anyway. Sales figures of "hero" cars often ease back - a 2 door coupe is only going to suit the lifestyle of part of the population, so an initial flurry of sales usually eases right back over time.

Still a "hero" car for the brand though - which is why the Mustang features so strongly in Ford marketing.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 14:37 (Ref:4025832)   #703
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
which means it will be relevant for a while longer
Seems to me to be a bit short sighted, what do you think happens after "a bit longer". I know I sound like a broken record but some insight of what happens would be great because I have no idea and I doubt that anyone else either.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 05:52 (Ref:4026203)   #704
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Mate been involved in all forms of motorsport the past 40 years and still going. But yep as you said, not really interested in car racing. Leave the TCR Series excitement to you then.
Don't fool yourself. Liking the superficial aspects (theatregoer) and being in amongst the people involved isn't the same as actually liking car racing. Drag racing in particular is a manifestation of people not interested in car racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
In your opinion. There are lots of other options and lots of other opinions. People are allowed to have a different one from you.

I don't mind 2 litres. The old BMW 320 screaming down the back straight at Donington was a joyous thing. However for me, TCR sound flat as anything, and are generally dull unless crashing into each other. Which they seem to do a lot of.

In my opinion, of course. I realise you will have a different one and that's fine you're equally welcome to it. It's the way you continually express it which is upsetting the crowd.
Upsetting? The only people upset at my comments are those that disagree and don't like the curtain being pulled to show how things actually are. It doesn't bother the others.

People can have other opinions. The problem is is that almost all of them are 10-15 years behind the times in this country. In the case of Casper bringing up electric vehicles all the time, now 19 years ahead of time.

The irony that someone from England is now laying the boots into me.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 06:30 (Ref:4026206)   #705
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Adam, I've read the rep you gave me as a result of the post above.

Do you have any questions to ask?

Don't worry. I know that the Poms are more progressive than me. That's why I let them influence my motor racing views.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 09:04 (Ref:4026215)   #706
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post

Upsetting? The only people upset at my comments are those that disagree and don't like the curtain being pulled to show how things actually are. It doesn't bother the others.
Pot calling the kettle black. Take your own fingers out your ears
Old 1 Jan 2021, 10:19 (Ref:4026227)   #707
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In the case of Casper bringing up electric vehicles all the time, now 19 years ahead of time.
You rang? It's good to see I have impressed you with my undeniably excellent logic on electric cars.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 18:38 (Ref:4026319)   #708
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Adam, I've read the rep you gave me as a result of the post above.

Do you have any questions to ask?

Don't worry. I know that the Poms are more progressive than me. That's why I let them influence my motor racing views.
Not a question. Just a point. Please just discuss the topic. If you can do this without looking to rubbish other members of the forum or posting snide comments everything is fine.

That’s the end of this now. Move on. Keep it to motorsport.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 23:38 (Ref:4026380)   #709
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Not a question. Just a point. Please just discuss the topic. If you can do this without looking to rubbish other members of the forum or posting snide comments everything is fine.

That’s the end of this now. Move on. Keep it to motorsport.
He could do that but that is not his primary motive and while there is one single response refuting or debating what he says then his purpose for posting has been rewarded. Baiting mods takes it to another interesting level of course.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4026429)   #710
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Cant wait for Gen 2022
Old 3 Jan 2021, 08:47 (Ref:4026536)   #711
bloxsidgemotorsport
Rookie

bloxsidgemotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its gonna be great Camaro vs Mustang V8's, let the haters watch their other series/classes and stop *****ing about this one.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 08:54 (Ref:4026539)   #712
bloxsidgemotorsport
Rookie

https://autoaction.com.au/2021/01/02...bout-supercars

Looks promising for the future of Channel 7, stating they will treat the Supercars as a major sport alongside AFL and Cricket.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 08:58 (Ref:4026543)   #713
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloxsidgemotorsport View Post
https://autoaction.com.au/2021/01/02...bout-supercars

Looks promising for the future of Channel 7, stating they will treat the Supercars as a major sport alongside AFL and Cricket.
Its a nice thought, but AFL will always be the major sport watched on 7 and Im sure will take precedent. Time will tell
Old 3 Jan 2021, 12:27 (Ref:4026565)   #714
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Its gonna be great Camaro vs Mustang V8's, let the haters watch their other series/classes and stop *****ing about this one.
I will, I prefer to watch Formula One these days and am not fussed about missing most of the ATCC races. It's a shame to see the ATCC deteriorate so from the heady days of Gibson Motorsport Nissans and Frank Gardner Racing BMWs, and full grids, back when it was compulsory viewing for a motorsports fan.

The ATCC has so much potential to be world class, but the rulemakers seem set on a Mustang/Camaro Americana class for some reason... Even the touring car racing in the US itself is more varied than that!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 3 Jan 2021 at 12:32.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 14:43 (Ref:4026578)   #715
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I will, I prefer to watch Formula One these days and am not fussed about missing most of the ATCC races. It's a shame to see the ATCC deteriorate so from the heady days of Gibson Motorsport Nissans and Frank Gardner Racing BMWs, and full grids, back when it was compulsory viewing for a motorsports fan.

The ATCC has so much potential to be world class, but the rulemakers seem set on a Mustang/Camaro Americana class for some reason... Even the touring car racing in the US itself is more varied than that!
And 60+ cars on the grid at Bathurst, those were the days when we had a real race.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 23:54 (Ref:4026625)   #716
bloxsidgemotorsport
Rookie

must be painful to wish for stuff from 30 years ago.

I get you guys want mixed formula racing like the old days but that stuff ended decades ago, like 3 decades to be exact.

Supercars were never going to go back to 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder days. They would have done fan surveys which would have shown a huge demand for V8 based racing. Same reason NASCAR will never ditch its V8 engine.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 02:31 (Ref:4026642)   #717
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Same reason NASCAR will never ditch its V8 engine.
You'd better tell them before it is too late.

https://racingnews.co/2020/01/09/mor...20to%20Indycar.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 09:24 (Ref:4026666)   #718
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
must be painful to wish for stuff from 30 years ago.

I get you guys want mixed formula racing like the old days but that stuff ended decades ago, like 3 decades to be exact.

Supercars were never going to go back to 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder days. They would have done fan surveys which would have shown a huge demand for V8 based racing. Same reason NASCAR will never ditch its V8 engine.
Yes they do surveys, The demographics of supercars is heading to the 50-60 age group. There is not a lot of teenagers watching or attending events now days .
Old 4 Jan 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4026686)   #719
bloxsidgemotorsport
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Yes they do surveys, The demographics of supercars is heading to the 50-60 age group. There is not a lot of teenagers watching or attending events now days .
events i've been to have had plenty of teenagers and kids there. One thing you learn in business fast is that you do not need to appeal to everyone, just your core customers if its financially viable.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4026690)   #720
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
One thing you learn in business fast is that you do not need to appeal to everyone, just your core customers if its financially viable.
Compare the crowds:

This event has been cancelled for a reason.

Despite less grandstand seats being put up, they were still only two-thirds full at best. The Adelaide 500 transitioned from a "must attend" sporting event to a comparatively minor interest, and Supercars administration is responsible for that...

The category is quite stale, and I'm not sure that doubling down on American brands when many people drive Asian & European cars these days is the right approach.

I certainly was not interested in attending the Adelaide 500 any more -- watching & listening to the same old low-revving crossplane V8s go round (literally the same old cast-iron blocks, some of which have been in use the category for 20 years!) for an exorbitant fee holds little appeal. The Adelaide Motorsport Festival was a far more interesting event to me -- the V10s and V12s are a treat!

Even the hordes of DFV-powered historic F1s have that iconic raspy sound of a V8 which the Supercars lack!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 4 Jan 2021 at 12:04.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 21:54 (Ref:4026832)   #721
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
events i've been to have had plenty of teenagers and kids there. One thing you learn in business fast is that you do not need to appeal to everyone, just your core customers if its financially viable.
I agree with your comment, but ,I will add this. Those who are there are normally associated with an entrant. The 18- 25 age group are not really into supercars. Over the past 20 years as a volunteer , the numbers of that age group have dropped as they find other forms of motorsport interesting.
How many 20yr old's own a mustang, Camaro ?

If the guys running TCR get there advertising right, they will appeal to the 20-40 group who actually buy those types of cars.

AS a volunteer , we receive a ticket for a friend, and over the years I have offered mine to plenty of young ppl, thanks but no thanks , they show very little interest. And they can watch it on fox or kayo. Why go to the event .

I don't dispute what you have seen, but ask around , from volunteers for the last 5 years , and you will get a better overall view of attendees.
cheers
Old 5 Jan 2021, 00:58 (Ref:4026863)   #722
bloxsidgemotorsport
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I agree with your comment, but ,I will add this. Those who are there are normally associated with an entrant. The 18- 25 age group are not really into supercars. Over the past 20 years as a volunteer , the numbers of that age group have dropped as they find other forms of motorsport interesting.
How many 20yr old's own a mustang, Camaro ?

If the guys running TCR get there advertising right, they will appeal to the 20-40 group who actually buy those types of cars.

AS a volunteer , we receive a ticket for a friend, and over the years I have offered mine to plenty of young ppl, thanks but no thanks , they show very little interest. And they can watch it on fox or kayo. Why go to the event .

I don't dispute what you have seen, but ask around , from volunteers for the last 5 years , and you will get a better overall view of attendees.
cheers
I agree with alot of what you say, although I've found my friends who are in that age group are majority not interested in motor racing. They would rather play the latest online game or go to a music festival.

Most of the guys i know my age (im 35) have been brought up as a child attending motor racing. Mainly with our parents or grand parents racing and sometimes we have got the chance to.

Biggest issue i see with road racing is the extremely long event formats with long down time between races. Most speedway events I have attended this year have had big crowds, why because its during the evening and starts at 6pm and over by 10pm.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 10:02 (Ref:4026912)   #723
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I guess it would be better if they had mostly shorter races, with longer races like Bathurst being a treat
Old 6 Jan 2021, 00:25 (Ref:4027078)   #724
Casper
Veteran

Motor racing in Oz these days is a non event compared to the heady days of production racing, Oran Park etc. I don't think that this is due to anything more than generational change and seeking other things to do. Back then there were limited pursuits for leisure time unlike now when we have multiple choices of stuff to do. Nothing motor sport does is going to change that so short or long races will make no difference as the viewing audience is reducing and will continue to do so.

This is a world problem and not a domestic problem most probably more noticeable in countries which have a mild to warm climate where outdoor stuff is more likely. Top that off with the manic dive into computer gaming etc and you start to get the picture.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 02:30 (Ref:4027083)   #725
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Motor racing in Oz these days is a non event compared to the heady days of production racing, Oran Park etc. I don't think that this is due to anything more than generational change and seeking other things to do. Back then there were limited pursuits for leisure time unlike now when we have multiple choices of stuff to do. Nothing motor sport does is going to change that so short or long races will make no difference as the viewing audience is reducing and will continue to do so.

This is a world problem and not a domestic problem most probably more noticeable in countries which have a mild to warm climate where outdoor stuff is more likely. Top that off with the manic dive into computer gaming etc and you start to get the picture.
I think you might be onto something there caspar
40 years ago the only widely covered sports were cricket footy (really only league or VFL) and motor racing - which was really only ATCC_ (other than olympics/cw games). Now we are spoiled for choice. Every sport from almost every country can be watched and read about online and streaming.

Then there are all the other online distractions gaming, social media, 500 tv channels and streams.
When I was a kiddy (dinosaurs roamed) you chose your footy team your car brand and your music style or group. They were your tribes. They were what defined you.

Now footy is interesting to some - about 5 different codes.
The whole era of the car is ending. The big 3 are long gone from Racing or even from Australia
ICU going out, uber, zoom etc mean a lot of millenials arent even bothering getting their license or a car. And they just want cheap "green" little run abouts. They dont ccare about how fast or bathurst wins.

And music is just one thing of many. There are no real Beatles/stones/floyd/zepplin/kiss megagroups anymore coz the kids have 1 million choices. We had 2 or 3 pop/rock radio stations, that all we were exposed to. Now with the online world there are millions of music sources influences and choices.

There are now a million ways to define your tribe... Maybe youre a world of war craft gamer or something. You sit at home listening to some obscure musci stream, playing your game, chatting to your best mates online, mates from all over the world you will never meet face to face. WHo cares about v8 ford/holdens. Just not relevant any more.

The world is changing, becoming more and more granulated. Good and bad.
But the era of every man and his dog knowing about or caring about 1 or two catagories of local motor sport is over for good.

Last edited by bathurst77; 6 Jan 2021 at 02:43.
Closed Thread