Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: Who is most likely to win the 2003 Formula Renault UK Championship?
Mike Conway 16 35.56%
Philip Glew 1 2.22%
Sergio Jimenez 4 8.89%
Alex Lloyd 8 17.78%
James Rossiter 2 4.44%
Robert Scott 0 0%
Tom Sisley 9 20.00%
Mike Spencer 2 4.44%
Other (Not Hamilton!) 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Apr 2003, 09:39 (Ref:572933)   #1
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is most likely to win the 2003 FRenault UK Championship?

I thought it would be interesting to ask this question at the start of the new season, but oh dear! I've left Lewis Hamilton off the list! Basically, as Lewis is the favourite, if we did a poll including him it would be pretty one-sided. So who is the driver with the next best chance of following Danny Watts and becoming Formula Renault UK Champion 2003?
Old 18 Apr 2003, 11:12 (Ref:573037)   #2
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Lau must be an outside bet
Old 18 Apr 2003, 11:21 (Ref:573045)   #3
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Conway, he did well in the winter series and in the testing, but i still think that hamilton is going to win hopefully it´ll be a close fight
Old 18 Apr 2003, 13:20 (Ref:573142)   #4
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is a really tough one to answer - there should be an incredible battle for 2nd in the championship this year (whether Hamilton wins or not, they'll be a good 8 people battling for 2nd). So far in testing Lloyd hasn't been as quick as expected, and Conway has been a consistent front-runner. I really reckon Spencer could spring a few surprises on people. Sisley's got experience, and probably a few sets of spare tyres from the amount he's been running in testing. It should be really close!
Old 18 Apr 2003, 20:07 (Ref:573489)   #5
big ears
Rookie

big ears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Conway has a good chance, and philip glew will be lucky to get a point. He did nothink in jff last year.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 01:36 (Ref:573664)   #6
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of that lot on the poll i would say Rossiter. but surely by his pre season testing form Hamilton should win it easy.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 07:47 (Ref:583480)   #7
Jensen
Racer

Jensen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Lau

Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
Paul Lau must be an outside bet
Your so funny, man that is almost as funny as your weekly wage.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 08:40 (Ref:583520)   #8
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hope this year it goes down to the final round with 2 maybe 3 guys or gals in with a shout.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 10:52 (Ref:583630)   #9
loadsaaaTOP
Rookie

loadsaaaTOP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about barry sime???
Old 29 Apr 2003, 10:56 (Ref:583635)   #10
racingdick
Veteran

Mmmm he could spring a few surprises. He's been out of the car for some time, hopefully after a few races and tests he could be getting in to top 10 possibly 5. Best of luck to him anyway
Old 29 Apr 2003, 12:40 (Ref:583721)   #11
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Hamilton is so over rated. Mike Conway is no superstar, but he still embarrassed Hamilton at Snet.

Less fuss about Hamilton's McLaren connections this year, I notice. There's no excuse for Hamilton not to win it this year - second season, best team, best car, plenty of funding.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 17:35 (Ref:584061)   #12
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My heart says Lloyd - I like Alan Waite and Mr.Jinxx has a passion for the sport in spades!My head says Conway - he's no mug and Fortec will give him a good car at every circuit.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 19:56 (Ref:584199)   #13
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol / Mr Jinxx knows nothing! A few opinions, that's all. Bit of honesty always works too.

Alan Waite is a truly top man, as is Alan Mugglestone. I know I have to carry the burden of perceived bias, but I truly think Lloyd is the driver to beat. This is as unbiased as it is possible for me to be, but I would put him up against Hamiltons and Rossiters and Conways any day. Not only has he got the banzai streak, which is fun to watch if nothing else, he is cool and thinking under pressure too. If Motaworld can keep their focus, Lloyd/Motaworld should be the combination to challenge Hamilton.

I believe Conway is the weak link in the Fortec/Conway combination, and much will depend on how good Rossiter is. If he starts getting quicker than Conway, as his FFord colleagues were last year, then we'll see how he reacts to that. Fortec will provide the car at every circuit, wet or dry, as will Manor.

I don't think Conway embarrassed Hamilton at Snett, by the way. He just had the fastest car. Hamilton is under pressure and looks rattled. Conway, like Lloyd, is not under pressure, but as the season progresses, they all 3 might feel the burden.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 29 Apr 2003, 20:46 (Ref:584306)   #14
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
So what I am saying is that Hamilton has to win it, and I still think he will. I think his closest and worthiest challenger will be Lloyd, and there are several others who will be strong, Sisley, Rossiter, Conway, Spencer, and Scott is no slowcoach either. But all this is hot air, of course! Cos I know nothing, I learn it from a booook.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 30 Apr 2003, 07:27 (Ref:584634)   #15
Jensen
Racer

Jensen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Conway, Conway, Conway. The shy, mis understood driver is top quality, he has it and will show it to all. He is 2003 champion for sure.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 09:43 (Ref:584733)   #16
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
For sure.

I love back and white people, me - someone who proclaims certainty where (without 20/20 foresight) an outcome is uncertain.

Awwwwwww ... Poor shy misunderstood baby Not sure he'd thank you for that !
Old 30 Apr 2003, 11:31 (Ref:584857)   #17
racingdick
Veteran

Interesting to read an article in the BARC startline magazine, it says that he has a new car only turnes x laps prior to testing. Are singleseaters like saloons and they get weak as there used...
Attached Images

Old 30 Apr 2003, 11:59 (Ref:584896)   #18
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I don't think that, with its carbon fibre tub, FR have the problems that some of the tubular steel construction chassis have/had, like some FFords or particularly in karts, where they flex over time and go softer (making some older chassis good in the wet but not so clever in the heat) but there can be no doubt that, all other things being equal, it will be better to have a new tub.

Wicked wicked graphic
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:09 (Ref:584914)   #19
racingdick
Veteran

hence in karts thay have wet and dry chassis?
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:35 (Ref:584953)   #20
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
That's more to do with the construction of the chassis really, although the principle is pretty much the same.

The wet chassis will be a different design than the dry (Fullerton used to have a Lion and a Tiger, for example) - it is a bit too ad-hoc using an old chassis, because you don't know exactly where it's going to flex, nor by how much, so the handling characteristics aren't accurate enough. Which they are if you manufacture it differently.
Old 10 May 2003, 07:35 (Ref:595154)   #21
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SISLEY
Old 10 May 2003, 17:27 (Ref:595500)   #22
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
A 4-cornered fight, I believe, between Hamilton, Lloyd, Sisley and Conway. Others will poke their noses in from time to time, but I believe these to be the 4 drivers to beat this year.
Old 12 May 2003, 03:16 (Ref:596547)   #23
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
P.S. Not on thread but ...

Mike Conway's web site in Formula Renault (www.mikeconway.co.uk) ... has anyone else a) seen it and b) found the PR's incessant it's-all-good-news trumpet-blowing a little bit tiresome in a Rik Mayall sort of way? Hamilton's site, on the other hand, was refreshingly honest about him falling off at Brands. Nice touch.
Old 12 May 2003, 11:45 (Ref:596794)   #24
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Lau gets my vote every time, He looked good at snet and was very much missed at brands.
Old 12 May 2003, 11:59 (Ref:596805)   #25
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a shame that the chances of Mr Lau returning to racing scene in the uk are slim, as if any one saw him at snet walking the paddock must agree he put a smile on most peoples faces with his paddock clothing and shades. The guy was priceless, the paddock needs guys like him to give us something talk about while having a beer in the bar. Only a shame he was not as sharp on the track.