Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1416619)   #1
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubbish

The shunt at the start.
Montoya passed Alonso.
Schumi passed Fisi.

That was the sum total of "entertainment" from the Brazilian GP.

They need to change this ****e ASAP.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:04 (Ref:1416625)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first few laps were ok. I agree.

the rest of the race was pretty boring, but its F1, not the V8 Supercars.

The more money you put into F1, the more reliable the cars are, the more professional the drivers are, and the less exciting they become for joe public.

You watch a lessor series with a smaller budget like Champ Car, V8 Supercars, and even IRL, and you have a different level of racing. However, these series all use parity regulations, similar engines, which makes the playing field more even.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1416629)   #3
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree, I am watching the A1GP from Brands and F1 from Brazil back to back - theres a lot more racing in the A1GP main race, right up until Robbie Kerrs car failed
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1416638)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The main 'problem' was that the fastest guys got to the front. Then they are hardly going to be re-overtaken by the slower car behind them are they! Of course getting the fastest guy to the front is the point of GP racing. Perhaps the problem is that overtaking was too easy and they overtook them too soon for you.

You forget Kimi move on Fisi. That was fabulous and occurred over many corners.

After it had settled down we were treated to fantastic battle and lappery from the two McLaren drivers who were going for it until the last few laps.

On top of that we saw a wonderful new world champion crowned.

Not the greatest race in the history of the sport (which I suspect most people expect each race!), but pretty much what F1 is like and has generally always been like.

I respectfully suggest that F1 is not the sport for you.

jasonhill9884 summary of the different series is interesting. And some of those are hardly overtaking fests. However the answer is not to make F1 like those series. What would be the point we already have that situation in those series. So don't make F1 another one of them, just watch them instead (or as well) as F1.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1416639)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ooh look, another whinge thread.

There are huge changes for 2006, and more again in 2008, we have new team owners, and we hopefully have the potential of new teams.

It's not as if those that run the sport are sitting back and doing nothing - let's see how things go next season before giving up shall we?
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1416651)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
It's not as if those that run the sport are sitting back and doing nothing - let's see how things go next season before giving up shall we?
nah! Let them give up garcon.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1416656)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

On reflection, you're probably right. Maybe we should customise 10Tenths for the whingers so they can only see the Nascar forum...
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1416661)   #8
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who said anything about giving up?

Just that the 'race' was like watching paint dry.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1416693)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That happens in any form of racing though, there's nothing you can do about it. Another time you'll get a cracking race.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1416722)   #10
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a couple of good overtaking moves, some hard & aggresive racing , Ferrari back(ish) on the pace and a new champion crowned.

Not to bad then me thinks.......
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1416743)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Watching the F1 in the Kentagon I got bored and left with 20 laps to go. Not even certain who won - not certain I care.

Roll on Eurospeedway etc...
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1416760)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It wasn't a classic race, but there have been plenty this year. Some rain would've helped, but above all people were in cruise-and-collect mode - McLaren wanted the 1-2 and Fernando wanted the title. Whatever they do with the rules, they have to ensure that the sport remains the pinnacle of technology, adn the purest action there is - don't consider reverse grids or success ballast, those are great in touring cars but wouldn't suit this. Perhaps if A1 continues to be action-packed and takes off as a spectacle, that will influence the way F1 goes.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1417122)   #13
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you compare it with the IndyCar race from watkins glen last night, the F1 race was pants. The IRL race had 6 different leaders and lots more action.

'nuff said.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1417125)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Some people are just never going to be happy period. I does not matter what kind of race they see..
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1417130)   #15
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This week on Speed Channel, they showed the European GP from 1995. Cars were running only a few feet a part, rather than 7 or 8 car lengths as is the norm in F1 today. Even though overtaking was at a minimum even then, it was quite exciting to see the cars so close, with one bobble enough to change the running order. In yesterday's IRL at Watkins Glen, same thing. F1 needs to return there. Simple as that.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1417137)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Were they really that much closer? I don't think that was the case. Although the conditions helped in the European GP with cars with different set-ups and tyres due to the drying track.

Besides the problem in Brazil wasn't that they couldn't overtake. Everyone who could did! The problem was that they had the fastest person at the front and the slowest at the back generally! it is very difficult to overtake the car ahead when you are a couple of tenths slower on each lap.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1417146)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think this is an appropriate thread title for its contents. IRL? Give me a break... The cars are all identical. No thanks.

Its been a great season, one that was not dominated by Ferrari for a change.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1417257)   #18
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That's not the point Inigo. I'm no IRL fan myself. In fact the only reason I watched (part of) it yesterday was because the Champ Car race was blacked out in Canada.

The point is that if a relatively low tech series like IRL can run cars nose to tail, why can't F1?
And yes Adam, they were that close, both in yesterday's IRL race and in the '95 F1 European GP where Schumi and Damon Hill had an excellent tussle, less than 1 car length between them for much of the time as they fought for the win. Guess who won.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1417265)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'll have to dig out my '95 tapes. I always avoided them because at the time everyone complained there was no racing.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1417290)   #20
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
The shunt at the start.
Montoya passed Alonso.
Schumi passed Fisi.
Barrichello passed Button, Villeneuve passed Doornbos. But it was a rubbish GP!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1417420)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't it Alesi who lead much of the 1995 European GP before being passed by Michael with about 2 laps to go, Hill having spun off from 3rd a few laps before?

But anyway.

I think Adam's nailed it this time - you can overtake at Interlagos, and whenever anyone was behind a slower car, they did. Other than random grids, I'm not sure much can be done about races like that.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1417428)   #22
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Wasn't it Alesi who lead much of the 1995 European GP before being passed by Michael with about 2 laps to go, Hill having spun off from 3rd a few laps before?
Alesi was there pretty much because he started on slicks on a wet track IIRC.
He was decidely slower than Schumacher when it came down to the crunch, once Schuey got around him he was gone.

That is one of the things that makes F1 great. Sure there is disparity amongst the field, but every now and then someone or someteam comes up with a truly great performance against great(er) odds.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 27 Sep 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1417468)   #23
EHS
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, Westchester, NY
EHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with Formula 1 is that they need to find more debris on the track with five laps to go, bring out the safety car for three, "clean" the track, then let everyone race for the last two.

Heck, they should find some debris on the track every fifteen laps or so. Simple.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1417488)   #24
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Either debris, or random water from sprinkler systems
Old 27 Sep 2005, 05:28 (Ref:1417561)   #25
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS
The problem with Formula 1 is that they need to find more debris on the track with five laps to go, bring out the safety car for three, "clean" the track, then let everyone race for the last two.

Heck, they should find some debris on the track every fifteen laps or so. Simple.
Debris - you're joking right?