Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Nov 2001, 16:56 (Ref:177765)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honda announcement imminent

According to this weeks Autosport magazine, Honda UK motorsport boss Bob McMillan has all but confirmed Honda's participation in the 2002 BTCC.

McMillan says that Honda want to show how good the Civic Type-R is, and the BTCC would be a big part of that. He would not confirm which team is running the BTCC effort, but Arena Motorsport remain strong favourites. A number of teams have approached Honda about running their squad but Honda "want to go racing with a British team, British drivers and a British-built car."
Old 22 Nov 2001, 17:17 (Ref:177775)   #2
MJB RETURNS
Racer

MJB RETURNS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no thompson though. LESLIE RETURNS? or TARQUINI RETURNS?
Old 22 Nov 2001, 17:35 (Ref:177782)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could see Leslie back and Hoy, but I think they are too old for Honda's would be market, they want Plato, Eaves age of driver.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 17:44 (Ref:177789)   #4
MJB RETURNS
Racer

MJB RETURNS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, thats what i was thinking a bit about.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 19:12 (Ref:177833)   #5
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Honda announcement imminent

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend

A number of teams have approached Honda about running their squad but Honda "want to go racing with a British team, British drivers and a British-built car."

Hmmm, Arena and British drivers??

I've got it, ex-Arena employess Hoy and Spence

I'm standing well back away from the fences then in 02
Old 22 Nov 2001, 20:24 (Ref:177858)   #6
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't put James Thompson out of the picture for a Honda drive.

Regards

Guy
Old 22 Nov 2001, 21:37 (Ref:177879)   #7
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Bring Back The Cavaliers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MJB RETURNS
no thompson though.
No because he's still with Vauxhall. As revealed a few weeks ago.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 22:32 (Ref:177898)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Russell Spence? I hardly think so, he wouldn't be up to the standard Honda are after- the team's performance turned around after Will Hoy took over that ride in 1999, and I don't know what he's been up to since. With the hint about it being an all-British effort (though driving a Japanese car, has anyone pointed this out to them?) maybe Plato and Hoy will be good choices. What has Will been up to since 1999 anyway, otehr than the 2 races in the 2000 Production class.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 22:48 (Ref:177903)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
(though driving a Japanese car, has anyone pointed this out to them?)
The Honda Civic is built in Swindon, You may remember the 2000 ST Accords had a Union Jack on the roof - that was to identify their British-ness, 92% built in Britain are Accords.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 23:47 (Ref:177925)   #10
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What has Will been up to since 1999 anyway, otehr than the 2 races in the 2000 Production class.
he's been presenting a late night program for CH4 and i'm having a mental block at the mo and can't remember what its called despite always watching it!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 Nov 2001, 23:50 (Ref:177927)   #11
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Chequered Flag!!!!
thats what its called!
quite good actually, shows all the TOCA support races and the DTM
Old 23 Nov 2001, 07:35 (Ref:177981)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tarquini is racing for Honda in the ETCC, and Thompson is probably going to be in the works Vauxhall team. Not sure about Leslie, didn't he test a new '97 spec Prodrive Honda at the start of '97 then go and sign with Nissan. I reckon Plato, Eaves & Arena.
Old 23 Nov 2001, 09:02 (Ref:177996)   #13
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend

The Honda Civic is built in Swindon, You may remember the 2000 ST Accords had a Union Jack on the roof - that was to identify their British-ness, 92% built in Britain are Accords.

The Accord is also desined in the UK for the European market as to is the new Civic me thinks.

Oh, and I was joking when refering to Spence
Old 23 Nov 2001, 09:05 (Ref:177997)   #14
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What has Will been up to since 1999 anyway, otehr than the 2 races in the 2000 Production class.
I think he has also done odd saloon races here and there. I know he drove the celebrity car in the VW Cup at Snetterton in August.
Old 23 Nov 2001, 19:12 (Ref:178226)   #15
Guy Goddard
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bring Back The Cavaliers

No because he's still with Vauxhall. As revealed a few weeks ago.
Take it from me that Honda will make Thompson an offer and if required buy out his contract from Vauxhall and put him in the car in 2002.
Old 23 Nov 2001, 20:21 (Ref:178255)   #16
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard

Take it from me that Honda will make Thompson an offer and if required buy out his contract from Vauxhall and put him in the car in 2002.
I thought you were MG though. How do you know that?
Old 23 Nov 2001, 22:15 (Ref:178284)   #17
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm....if Honda offer enough expect Thommo to go to them, leaving a spare Vauxhall drive for Bennett or Priaulx?

Also, i reckon Honda will grab Eaves, and the TMSR/VLR Lexus effort will combine Erdos and Soper.
Old 24 Nov 2001, 12:10 (Ref:178419)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
errr, isn't Honda Britain funding this whole thing, Honda Europe has it's money tied up in building all their cars for next years ETC, 8 apparently, and i don't think Honda Britain alone have the money to buy out a contract, pay Thommo the big bucks and so on. Anyway, if Honda were going to pay big bucks for him, why not put hin in the ETCC.
Old 24 Nov 2001, 14:41 (Ref:178451)   #19
Guy Goddard
Racer

Quote:

I thought you were MG though. How do you know that?
Its not only the team you are connected to but also friends/collegues you have met or worked with over the years and hence the info from another source.
I am not saying he will be back in the car but Honda have/are looking at Thompson's contract with Vauxhall and given a choice (aside from money) would go for him in the car.

Regards

Guy
Old 24 Nov 2001, 15:14 (Ref:178460)   #20
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard

Its not only the team you are connected to but also friends/collegues you have met or worked with over the years and hence the info from another source.
I am not saying he will be back in the car but Honda have/are looking at Thompson's contract with Vauxhall and given a choice (aside from money) would go for him in the car.

Regards

Guy
Would he really want to leave a winning team and go to an unproven car and set his title ambitions back again?
Old 24 Nov 2001, 16:16 (Ref:178476)   #21
fudge
Rookie

fudge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Would he really want to leave a winning team and go to an unproven car and set his title ambitions back again?

Depends on conditions within a team!
Would JT be happier with Honda?
Old 24 Nov 2001, 16:22 (Ref:178477)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
If Thommo's wanting to go back to his 'old-team', why not go to MG as WSR run them??
Old 24 Nov 2001, 17:05 (Ref:178491)   #23
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
errr, isn't Honda Britain funding this whole thing, Honda Europe has it's money tied up in building all their cars for next years ETC, 8 apparently, and i don't think Honda Britain alone have the money to buy out a contract, pay Thommo the big bucks and so on. Anyway, if Honda were going to pay big bucks for him, why not put hin in the ETCC.
Exactly, they don't have the budget to be able to buy out his contract. And with the current economic situations ( ) I doubt they would want to put such a big investment on him, when what he will bring in return is unknown, after he had 4 years of winning cars, he couldn't pull in a championship. So who knows, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
Old 24 Nov 2001, 20:46 (Ref:178554)   #24
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Guy on this one.

Honda are usually very loyal to drivers and I am sure they still regard Thommo as a 'Honda' driver despite his 2001 prog with Vauxhall - hence his late season 'calling' back to the Honda fold for the ETCC.

We all know contracts mean bugger all and in anycase a lot are in 'draft' format at his time of the year with 'options' rather than concrete.

I still feel that despite Honda UK's British theme Tarquini will figure - he has such a massive following in the UK which I am sure Honda fill find hard to ignore.

As for Plato, can't help feeling that a lot of people don't regard him as a 'worthy' champion, his on track barging has won him few friends on the track and off it. Coupled to his attitiude as an arrogant s**t, I can't see him being many people 's favorite.
Old 24 Nov 2001, 20:52 (Ref:178555)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Plus, don't count JAS out of the frame for a works deal either, they go back a long way with Honda. Arena can talk a good programme like many others and as for Hoy, forget it. Arena may have had a flash exterior but didn't prove much back in'99.

Would you want to sink your budget into a proven touring car race winning team, or hot air and promises........Place your bets now!