Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Feb 2005, 06:10 (Ref:1220029)   #1
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Motor Racing in Western Australia

Western Australian is never included in any motor racing,the only racing we have is a WRC round which is good and a crapy v8 supercar round!

Why can't we ever be included in any Motor Racing

There is a new Race track currently being built in Bunbury (Bunbury International Circuit) which was meant to have a round of formula Nippon and maybe a JGTC (now Super GT) round but neither one of there race schedules include it???

2005 Super GT Series Schedule
Round1 3.26sat, 27sun Okayama International Circuit
Round2 5.3tue, 4wed Fuji Speedway
Round3 6.25sat, 26sun Sepang Circuit (Malaysia)
Round4 7.23sat, 24sun Sportsland SUGO
Round5 9.3sat, 4sun Twin Ring Motegi
Round6 9.24sat, 25sun Fuji Speedway
Round7 10.15sat, 16sun Autopolis
Round8 11.5sat, 6sun Suzuka Circuit
All-Star 12.10sat, 11sun California Speedway (USA)

2005 Formula Nippon Series Schedule
3/4/2005 Twin Ring Motegi
17/4/2005 Suzuka Circuit
15/5/2005 Sportsland SUGO
5/6/2005 Fuji Speedway
3/7/2005 Suzuka Circuit
31/7/2005 MINE Circuit
28/6/2005 Fuji Speedway
23/10/2005 Twin Ring Motegi
27/11/2005 Suzuka Circuit

Does anyone know what is hapening with it

Last edited by mabs_nsx; 8 Feb 2005 at 06:14.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 07:03 (Ref:1220057)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Super GT is looking global, so there is a distinct chance that we could see them in WA.
When is the Bunbury track due to be completed ???

Also mabs, you should write to the AMRS people and enquire about the chances of having the series visit WA in 2006 and beyond.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1220062)   #3
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO - logistics would be one of the major stumbling blocks . Bunbury is really only relevant to West Aussies - Few Internationals would be wise as to where West Australia is .
Old 8 Feb 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1220105)   #4
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
I am not sure when the Bunbury International Circuit will be complete. How long do race trackes usually take to be built?

construction of the track started around June or July 2004.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1220174)   #5
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You have , from reports I've heard, reasonable state level racing.

You also have a round of the Australian Superbike series.

The biggest problem for WA is the distance from the East to the West Coast of the country.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1220365)   #6
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Compared to every other state in Australia we have absolute nothing!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8 Feb 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1220436)   #7
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Trucks and Saloon cars come over here as well, usually around July.

Not sure about this Bunbury circuit... it's not the Collie one?

http://www.formulanippon.com.au/

bizarre.. but why bunbury of all places? I mean Bunbury? It's a fair drive.. someone did explain to these Japanese blokes about distances didn't they?

Only map I could find of the circuit:
http://www.formulanippon.com.au/images/map.jpg
Old 9 Feb 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1220780)   #8
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stuffed if I know why Bunbury was chosen Egg, as you know it doesn't have a big population and is approx. a 2.5 hour drive from Perth so will only attract the more hardcore motorsport fans too a meeting. I can't see many people going to a Formula Nippon race neither.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 02:47 (Ref:1221572)   #9
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guys bunbury is 2 hour drive from 15minutes north of perth.

Bunbury is also a very big growth area in WA more so then perth!

State level racing is okay but alot of people get sick of a hell of alot of things quickly. It not the cost of racing by the way!

PVDA i dont mean to have ago at you but every year west Australians are expected to race in the east for national titles. We go spend alot of money to go and then when it here hardly anyone from the east comes here. It just a mental thing. the to hard barsket!

The Biggest Problem with this state is NO F!@#$%^ advertising of events. 99% of the people that go up on the V8 weekend dont know it is open at all for the rest of the year! This has died truely. The truck meeting is nothing compared to when it got advertise hard.

It a media thing. If you dont kick a pig skin nothing gets showen or writern. Had an interesting chat one day with the editor of a 6 day a week news paper and all he could say was yeah the footy pages <SPORT PAGES.>
Old 10 Feb 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1221654)   #10
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivola
guys bunbury is 2 hour drive from 15minutes north of perth.

Bunbury is also a very big growth area in WA more so then perth!
I sympathize with the West Aussie race fans (I lived in and around Perth from 1951 to 1969) and we were deprived of having the name drivers from the Eastern states come and visit WA except for some promotional stunts and the odd occasion when a few teams would turn up for the Touring car or Sorts sedan championships . One would hardly expect Eastern states based teams to turn up at Wanneroo (or any other local track) for a state based series , most people wouldn't even know that it was on the racing calender - Distance must be the greatest factor in the non participation of the Easter states teams regardless of what type of event you may like to put forward - as an aside their are no professional drivers or teams based in WA , anyone who was prepared to make a real go of it in circuit racing moved to the East where the action is based .
BTW back in the "bad old days" we used to be able to do Vic Park to the Bunbury Post office in 78 minutes .
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1221666)   #11
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bad old days = driving at 140 and 150 kmh
Old 10 Feb 2005, 09:36 (Ref:1221751)   #12
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
bad old days = driving at 140 and 150 kmh
Thats true , but there were no speed limits once outside the Metropolitan area . I did it in 78 minutes , however many did it in a far shorter time than I did - IIRC a copper on a new fangled water cooled Suzuki held the "unofficial" record at 67 minutes - his top speed was 20mph quicker than my Triumph .
Old 11 Feb 2005, 05:13 (Ref:1222684)   #13
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree regarding not having inclusions to many Motor Racing Events. I go to the V8's every year and watch the same classes year in / year out. Not that im complaining as the racing is normally of TOP quality. Each year I hope that may add another event to the Perth Round ala v8 lites or Brute Utes etc, but so far no go. I do understand that the travel costs for this would be too excessive for alot of the budget teams.....Anyway Im looking forward to the V8's returning in a few months time.
Venturing out to Wanneroo next weekend as I believe there is a Night Matsers event on Saturday night, so I shell find out more and go have a lookie at that. Any other West Aussies going to that??????????
Other than all of that I follow alot of the other motor racing events that come to Perth. Regular Viewer of the Eastern Staters when they visit for drag racing events.
I visit the speedway regularly, but find it dissapointing that we have had our round of the World Series Sprintcars taken away from us..&^%$##@#%^&*

**** happens I guess...Bring on the V8's in May
Old 11 Feb 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1222748)   #14
bo0
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
bo0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper
Totally agree regarding not having inclusions to many Motor Racing Events. I go to the V8's every year and watch the same classes year in / year out. Not that im complaining as the racing is normally of TOP quality. Each year I hope that may add another event to the Perth Round ala v8 lites or Brute Utes etc, but so far no go. I do understand that the travel costs for this would be too excessive for alot of the budget teams.....Anyway Im looking forward to the V8's returning in a few months time.
Venturing out to Wanneroo next weekend as I believe there is a Night Matsers event on Saturday night, so I shell find out more and go have a lookie at that. Any other West Aussies going to that??????????
Other than all of that I follow alot of the other motor racing events that come to Perth. Regular Viewer of the Eastern Staters when they visit for drag racing events.
I visit the speedway regularly, but find it dissapointing that we have had our round of the World Series Sprintcars taken away from us..&^%$##@#%^&*

**** happens I guess...Bring on the V8's in May

I agree, how good would that be to see the V8 Lites or even the Brutes? The V8's are not enough!

Bunbury is quite big (30 000 for a town over here is BIG) and apparently has quite a large following of motorsport so i guess it would be a pretty good location for a motorsport event, lets face it Barbagallo is practically the only track still running in WA so another track would be ideal, albeit 2 hours down the road

To twell you the truth i had no clue that there was a circuit being built in Bunbury, heh just shows you how much media coverage motorport gets...

Last edited by bo0; 11 Feb 2005 at 08:11.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1222789)   #15
Nivola
Racer

xrystl I total envy you my friend. As myself being way way tou young i didnt get to see the Caversham days and the real round the houses events. Lucky Bugger! I know of something coming up shortly that you might like on this front but give me about two weeks to tell you.

Sandgroper u are correct that there is an event on saturday the 19th of Feb. First of the year. Hopefully it should be a good one but saying that the Night Meetings have droped off for awhile. < John bowe cat falcon 'VS' TR in the alfetta was the last good meeting!>

It is good to see people talking about it on here as u cant get on the WASCC forum un less a member of the club! They dont like selected criticism to help bring things foward!!!
Old 11 Feb 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1222855)   #16
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I was there in the Caversham days, & get to Wanneroo any time I go back West.
Sorry lads but most of the V8 teams are either money makers or battling to minmise losses - they wont go West easily, it costs too much.

The WASCC used to target teams they might be able to get over - recently Bob Jane T Marts had the 71/72 ATCC 427 Camaro in Perth - anyone think to ask Rod Jane to put in one of his GT3s to race at Wanneroo? Not Mark Skaife but you need to be alert to anyone who can help the cause: more spectators.

Sorry to say but I cant see the value in 2 circuits, it wont attract more events, only money can do that.

Last edited by cavvy; 11 Feb 2005 at 11:41.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1223259)   #17
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
[QUOTE=Nivola]xrystl I total envy you my friend. As myself being way way tou young i didnt get to see the Caversham days and the real round the houses events. Lucky Bugger! I know of something coming up shortly that you might like on this front but give me about two weeks to tell you.

Nivola , you didn't miss much by not visiting Caversham when it was used as a racetrack , spectators were not catered for at all - the track was seldom repaired and the pits were just open sided carports that were built in the early 50s .
I used to go to the "round the houses" racing in Albany and Northam , they were always very exciting for a young boy , Claremont speedway on Friday nights then Forestfield speedway on Sunday afternoon was our motor racing fix in the Summer. I certainly have fond memories from those days .
Old 12 Feb 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1223403)   #18
Nivola
Racer

xrystl i have been to caversham twice for drive days and have been takern back by the back stretch let alone the main straight! I would of loved to see the 6 hour duel between one 289 cobra and the 250lm ferrari. when you have only seen the Veskanda 3 times and have been brought up with the alfetta you understand what these guys went through. The likes of Clem Dwyer and the others. mind you you would of seen the Offy's in full flight at claremont aswell!

By the way you might be interested but there is only about 500m of the old Brooklands Track still in shape in clarmont. You might of heard stories about this place. The first true race track in Australia. Sad sight but I got a bit of limestone on a shelf next to caversham asphalt!
Old 12 Feb 2005, 02:42 (Ref:1223426)   #19
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
xrystl i have been to caversham twice for drive days and have been takern back by the back stretch let alone the main straight! I would of loved to see the 6 hour duel between one 289 cobra and the 250lm ferrari. when you have only seen the Veskanda 3 times and have been brought up with the alfetta you understand what these guys went through. The likes of Clem Dwyer and the others. mind you you would of seen the Offy's in full flight at claremont aswell!

By the way you might be interested but there is only about 500m of the old Brooklands Track still in shape in clarmont. You might of heard stories about this place. The first true race track in Australia. Sad sight but I got a bit of limestone on a shelf next to caversham asphalt!
I was there - the 250LM Ferrari was as impressive as the Lex Davison 1957 AGP car. The Ron Thorpe 289 Cobra came over twice I think for the 6 hour, Don O'Sullivan & the Lola thru to some lesser bred like the Vic Watson Hurricane V8 or its successor the Goblin ....

Are you saying you drove at Caversham recently?

Last edited by cavvy; 12 Feb 2005 at 02:43.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 04:21 (Ref:1223454)   #20
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't the Air Force reclaim Caversham?

THese days nobody in racing does anything out of the goodness of their hearts. You need to spend money. If WA wants more 'east coast' racing, then they will have to find a promotor willing to stump up the chas to get the show over there.

There's no point sitting in a chair, typing on a keyboard and crying "It's not fair." Stand up and go and make it fair.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 06:11 (Ref:1223489)   #21
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:

I only saw a couple of the 6 hour races at Caversham , the 1963 race of which I can remember nothing (I was trying to win a heart) and the 1968 six hour which was won by Fritz Kahout in a Porsche with Rod Donovan runner up in a XT Falcon GT .
Claremont was always spectacular for both cars and bikes and being on Friday night was a bonus because it left the whole weekend for other pursuits - some of the names that I remember from the speedway from the early to mid sixties are - Alf Babagello , Stan Starcevich , Chum Taylor , Abe Schneider , Norm Alpike , Tony Carboni , Don Hall . !!! Memories !!!
Old 12 Feb 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1223508)   #22
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Didn't the Air Force reclaim Caversham?

THese days nobody in racing does anything out of the goodness of their hearts. You need to spend money. If WA wants more 'east coast' racing, then they will have to find a promotor willing to stump up the chas to get the show over there.

There's no point sitting in a chair, typing on a keyboard and crying "It's not fair." Stand up and go and make it fair.
Good thing that many national budgets require national performance because their is no doubt AVESCO would prefer not to go to WA but if they didn't some race team budgets would be cut e.g Castrol, Holden, Ford.
Last time it happened Shell made it clear how important WA was to its operations & they were not talking about servos on street corners but the mining industry up north.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 05:46 (Ref:1224066)   #23
Nivola
Racer

I went to find the site of brooklands about 3 weeks ago.

I have only been to caversham twice. last time would have been two and a half years ago. The late Julian Cowan and his wife set up a day and sadly Julian didnt get to make it. There was not much left by then. only the two set of bridge supports and the markings on the grid.

The tyres are still in the ground two still painted white after all these years.

The RAAF still own the ground and there is a caravan park on the edge of the track!

Talking of Don O'Sullivan I caught up with his race engineer yesterday. Jamie Gard. the Builder of the Gardos's and Don Hall was also up at Wannaroo yesterday with his son William.

Cavvy oh I wish to have your Memories!!!!!

xrystl what where you thinking in 63!!!

Did any of you guys end up at the Australian Grand Prix when Bruce Mclaren came over????

But here is something for the Sports Sedan Nuts of WA.
Does anyone remember the "Mighty Mouse" AKA the Fiat Abarth of one Dick Ward. The car is in the sign writers as we speek.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 06:04 (Ref:1224068)   #24
Nivola
Racer

scrud that Don Hall part i got abit confused with someone else! It was one of those days yesterday!!!!
Old 13 Feb 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1224134)   #25
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:

Did any of you guys end up at the Australian Grand Prix when Bruce Mclaren came over????

But here is something for the Sports Sedan Nuts of WA.
Does anyone remember the "Mighty Mouse" AKA the Fiat Abarth of one Dick Ward. The car is in the sign writers as we speek.
62 when Bruce McLaren punted a Mini Cooper as well as winning the AGP also in a Cooper, yep I was there. If my memory is correct Lex Davison drove a 7 litre Galaxie belonging to Len Lukey.

Re Dick Ward, I always believed he built up 2 or 3 versions keeping the original car he bought on a tour of Europe - the final version being the one he punted with Rothmans sponsorship in Asia (I saw it at AIR) - do you know what the plans are - does Dick still own the one being painted Nivola?

Last edited by cavvy; 13 Feb 2005 at 09:28.