Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 12 Nov 2017, 23:14 (Ref:3780106)   #1
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans 1981 documentary on iPlayer

Just spotted this buried in the documentary archives on the BBC iPlayer. Seems to be up for the foreseeable future:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...urs-at-le-mans

Quote:
Tuesday Documentary

24 Hours at Le Mans

Motor race, fun-fair, sponsors' bonanza, death trap. Whatever it is, the 24-hour race at Le Mans has become a legend; for the driver, just to finish is an achievement; for the fans, to be there is a unique experience. For the race marshals and police there is little chance to relax, for when tragedy strikes it can be swift and terrible. Last year, during one of the hottest weekends in the history of the race, reporter Jack Pizzey joined the 250,000 spectators. He followed the fortunes of two British entrants. One was Guy Edwards, the former Grand Prix driver who made the headlines when he rescued Niki Lauda from a blazing wreck in 1976. Now he is one of the most successful businessmen-drivers on the road racing circuit. The other was Alain de Cadenet, who with little backing has made 11 attempts, and is dedicated to winning Le Mans. (1982)

First shown: 13 Jul 1982

Duration 50 mins
Apologies if it's already been mentioned. Couldn't find it in a search, but I realise it's old news over at another motoring forum.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3780153)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Thanks for flagging this up. After enjoying watching the Williams documentary on you tube over the weekend I'll search this one out when I get the time.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3780221)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There's quite a few documentaries going on. After the Mexican GP coverage, Five Live broadcast the Tom Pryce Story, that had earlier in 2017 been shown on BBC Wales. Very interesting it was and quite sad too as you would expect
Old 16 Nov 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3780693)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I watched this the other night and really enjoyed seeing it again (once I got into it I remembered seeing it originally). One thing that struck me was how clever sponsorship can be. As soon as I saw Guy Edwards jogging with a familiar logo on his shirt I thought "Ultramar", who I think were his long-term sponsors. I remember them being a fuel/lubricants supplier and have just done a Google search to discover that they are a Canadian company. Did they have any outlets in the UK back in the day or was this an excellent example of Guy's sponsorship obtaining abilities?
Old 17 Nov 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3781016)   #5
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting. That was really good!
The changes over time really stood out. No chicanes on the Mulsanne, two dead and only a pace car.
I liked Mrs de Cadanet's little speech about the dolly bird with big cleavage, who hangs about the pits trying to pull Alain every year.