Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Nov 2021, 11:10 (Ref:4085255)   #2491
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Murray was bound to make mistakes with his enthusiasm and the thing is they were always entertaining. And his Murrayisms were always memorable. And now excuse me while I interrupt myself. As the great man himself said ‘I don’t make mistakes, I make prophecies that immediately turn out to be wrong!’
Old 24 Nov 2021, 13:47 (Ref:4085293)   #2492
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To be clear, my point was more that picking on Crofty for mistakes isn’t really getting at the problem. As demonstrated by peoples love for Murray.

Shame Murray ruined the end of the 1996 season by gushing over Damon. Did he not realise that other countries use his commentary?
(Again not being serious)
Old 25 Nov 2021, 02:36 (Ref:4085375)   #2493
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
To be clear, my point was more that picking on Crofty for mistakes isn’t really getting at the problem. As demonstrated by peoples love for Murray.

Shame Murray ruined the end of the 1996 season by gushing over Damon. Did he not realise that other countries use his commentary?
(Again not being serious)
I'm happy to nitpick about the squeaky shrieker and his mistakes because so much of his "performance" feels contrived to me - whereas Muddly Talker was always absolutely natural and "real" - making any mistakes excusable in my book.

Don't know how to "fix" the shrieker in all honesty as he seems to be focussed on building his own "brand" and going hard at the catch phrases, shrieking and general carry-on. None of them are perfect though and all of them are commentating live so there will be stutters and mistakes I guess.

Oh and Murray's commentary when Damon won the title at Suzuka wasn't so much jingoistic to my mind as personal - there was a known fondness between Damon, his family and Murray and to this day in my view it remains one of THE most special examples of sports commentary I've ever experienced.
Old 25 Nov 2021, 03:44 (Ref:4085381)   #2494
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I totally agree on the point about Murray and Damon. I suspect that would not be how it was viewed by many.
Old 25 Nov 2021, 07:10 (Ref:4085393)   #2495
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Oh yes Damon and Murray had a great rapport. Who can forget that hilarious Pizza Hut advert?
Old 25 Nov 2021, 09:43 (Ref:4085399)   #2496
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Oh and Murray's commentary when Damon won the title at Suzuka wasn't so much jingoistic to my mind as personal - there was a known fondness between Damon, his family and Murray and to this day in my view it remains one of THE most special examples of sports commentary I've ever experienced.

Quote:
I totally agree on the point about Murray and Damon. I suspect that would not be how it was viewed by many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Oh yes Damon and Murray had a great rapport. Who can forget that hilarious Pizza Hut advert?

Murray will always be the exception to the rules when being considered a commentator, mainly because he was a true fan and admirer of all forms of motor sport, whether it be on two wheels, three, four or more. He was almost fanatical about it, but he was also a very humble man who, during his career made countless friends in the world of our sport.

One of those close friendships was with Graham Hill, and Murray had spent many hours in the Hill household so had known Damon from a very early age. He therefore followed his racing exploits rather more than he would have other drivers.

Therefore, being the kind and gentle man that he was (I was more than honoured to have been introduced to him many decades ago by a former WDC) it came as no surprise to me when he almost broke down when Damon achieved his title because he had a great affection for him, having watched him grow up at a close distance.

And as has been mentioned, he was able to take the mickey out of himself because his passion for the sport was absolutely infectious and he never attempted to put himself on a pedestal.
Old 25 Nov 2021, 13:54 (Ref:4085421)   #2497
Aysedasi
Tickets!
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Do you think so Adam? I know I'm a Brit and we were watching a Brit commentating on a Brit he'd known since he was knee-high winning the WDC, but would non-Brits find that offensive or overly jingoistic?
Old 25 Nov 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4085424)   #2498
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
No, perhaps not, because it was Murray. He gets a pass, whereas others wouldn’t.

If I have a point then it is that mistakes or that the coverage is too British isn’t where there problem lies. It is that Croft isn’t a brilliant commentator. Although not James Allen bad. And it is hard to describe why.

Personally I think he’s OK. Not great, not bad. What can he do to be better, I don’t know, but if he cut out all mistakes and failed to mention Hamilton once he’d still be at the same level. Possibly slightly worse!
Old 25 Nov 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4085425)   #2499
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Personally I think he’s OK. Not great, not bad.
It's because he's from Stevenage. F1 and Stevenage seems to trigger many people here for some reason. It's the reverse of 'location checks out'
Old 28 Nov 2021, 17:17 (Ref:4085767)   #2500
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC News website story about Sir Frank Williams passing.

“ In 1994, Williams, along with technical director Patrick Head and chief designer Adrian Newey, was charged with manslaughter in Italy following the death of driver Ayrton Senna in a crash at Imola but he was acquitted several years later.”

Is that really necessary ? What a nasty Snyde bunch the UK National broadcaster is
Old 28 Nov 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4085768)   #2501
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It was a significant part of his life. and not even snide! The worst you can say is that it isn’t detailed enough to give the full picture, but I can see why you wouldn’t want to waste much space in that article. Some people might get all worked up about it if they did.

“He built the team named after him into one of the most successful in the sport.” the first line from the article.

Here’s the rest of the article with lots and lots of nice things about him.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59453378

I believe this is an example where broadcasters just can’t win. Some people aren’t ever going to like what sky does some aren’t with the bbc.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 17:56 (Ref:4085772)   #2502
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Expected but unexpected.

RIP to a titan of the sport.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 18:01 (Ref:4085775)   #2503
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was a significant part of his life. and not even snide! The worst you can say is that it isn’t detailed enough to give the full picture, but I can see why you wouldn’t want to waste much space in that article. Some people might get all worked up about it if they did.

“He built the team named after him into one of the most successful in the sport.” the first line from the article.

Here’s the rest of the article with lots and lots of nice things about him.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59453378

I believe this is an example where broadcasters just can’t win. Some people aren’t ever going to like what sky does some aren’t with the bbc.
My point exactly. On such a dark day was it really necessary to dredge up the Senna episode - particularly when nothing came of it? Time and a place , time and a place.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 18:13 (Ref:4085779)   #2504
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
My point exactly. On such a dark day was it really necessary to dredge up the Senna episode - particularly when nothing came of it? Time and a place , time and a place.
It is a news article, and so IMO perfectly relevant to mention it (it's not like it's the only thing they mention from his life).

To be honest - taking the chance to have a dig at the BBC seems unnecessary at this time off the back of the situation.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 20:04 (Ref:4085792)   #2505
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

To be honest - taking the chance to have a dig at the BBC seems unnecessary at this time off the back of the situation.
I agree. There’s a time and place after all.

Tags
pinks