Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Feb 2023, 18:37 (Ref:4145291)   #1526
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
No there will be plenty more factory teams if that is your definition. The last genuine factory effort is probably Vauxhall in 2009. You only have to look at the liveries of the "works" entries since then to see the money was coming elsewhere. Yuasa for the Honda entry, Silverline for Chevrolet, Tesco KX Momentum for MG, Power Maxed for Vauxhall's "return", etc.
Well, I said 'factory' because they're not really factory but compared to other 'constructor' entries like Motorbase or Excelr8, WSR and Speedworks still seem 'manufacturer-backed' even though they are not. But my impression is that once BMW's and Toyota's backing ends, there'll be very few potential new 'factory' (deliberately in inverted commas) teams in the future. As the motorsport scene is getting smaller and smaller in terms of sponsorships, money, popularity, etc etc, I can't see many more 'factory' teams in the BTCC - even if they're not really backed by manufacturers they still, in a way, advertise the brands and any person happening to watch a race on ITV4 might think that WSR is really a BMW Team whereas Speedworks a Toyota one. For whatever reason I doubt we'll see any such team in the next few years.
But, of course, I'm waiting until proven wrong
Old 28 Feb 2023, 18:51 (Ref:4145293)   #1527
teabag1993
Rookie

teabag1993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Well, I said 'factory' because they're not really factory but compared to other 'constructor' entries like Motorbase or Excelr8, WSR and Speedworks still seem 'manufacturer-backed' even though they are not. But my impression is that once BMW's and Toyota's backing ends, there'll be very few potential new 'factory' (deliberately in inverted commas) teams in the future. As the motorsport scene is getting smaller and smaller in terms of sponsorships, money, popularity, etc etc, I can't see many more 'factory' teams in the BTCC - even if they're not really backed by manufacturers they still, in a way, advertise the brands and any person happening to watch a race on ITV4 might think that WSR is really a BMW Team whereas Speedworks a Toyota one. For whatever reason I doubt we'll see any such team in the next few years.
But, of course, I'm waiting until proven wrong

I'm surprised Hyundai hasn't shown any interest in the BTCC, given their strong interest in touring cars over the past few years. When WTCR imploded last year I was hoping there'd be renewed manufacturer interest in the BTCC and its relative stability, but it didn't happen. I don't think the BTCC saw the opportunity- if they'd ramped up their online presence they may have had a chance to catch a manufacturer's interest.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 19:06 (Ref:4145298)   #1528
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabag1993 View Post
I'm surprised Hyundai hasn't shown any interest in the BTCC, given their strong interest in touring cars over the past few years. When WTCR imploded last year I was hoping there'd be renewed manufacturer interest in the BTCC and its relative stability, but it didn't happen. I don't think the BTCC saw the opportunity- if they'd ramped up their online presence they may have had a chance to catch a manufacturer's interest.
A good point - sadly, BTCC seems to live in the Noughties in terms of their online presence, compared to all other major championships and that certainly doesn't help things.
Hyundai would fit like a glove, not only would they have a #1 car on the grid this season but also presence in the championship that's - as you mention - a lot more stable than the ill-fated WTCR and still having something of a cult and icon status. But maybe I'm just biased
Old 28 Feb 2023, 22:24 (Ref:4145320)   #1529
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 cars for PMR & 4 cars for One motorsport?
Old 28 Feb 2023, 23:02 (Ref:4145322)   #1530
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
You really can’t compare a local, national series to one with World in its name. They’re totally different levels.
Old 1 Mar 2023, 01:04 (Ref:4145327)   #1531
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
You really can’t compare a local, national series to one with World in its name. They’re totally different levels.
It doesn't help that Alan Gow is a bit of a dinosaur these days when it comes to innovation. I guess there just isn't much incentive for TOCA to try and grow the series when it's got full grids.
Old 1 Mar 2023, 07:32 (Ref:4145340)   #1532
mphplastering
Rookie

mphplastering should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
3 cars for PMR & 4 cars for One motorsport?
Pmr are staying with 2 astras
One Motorsport rumours are a 4th Honda
Old 1 Mar 2023, 08:45 (Ref:4145349)   #1533
mphplastering
Rookie

Ash hand has confirmed on his Instagram he's not on the btcc grid this season. But working behind the scenes with PMR
Old 1 Mar 2023, 09:26 (Ref:4145352)   #1534
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphplastering View Post
Ash hand has confirmed on his Instagram he's not on the btcc grid this season. But working behind the scenes with PMR
Shame. I wonder if he really comes back next year. A lot can happen during this season so I wouldn't be so sure.
Old 1 Mar 2023, 09:32 (Ref:4145354)   #1535
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Shame. I wonder if he really comes back next year. A lot can happen during this season so I wouldn't be so sure.
Feels like another Whorton-Eales or Gornall situation, a talented driver from the support ladder (well, Hand was a while back now) can’t make the move stick. Hope he does come back… and not just at Hard!
Old 1 Mar 2023, 09:33 (Ref:4145355)   #1536
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like Excerl8’s livery reveal at 7:00 today, with some terrific acting on top…!
Old 1 Mar 2023, 09:59 (Ref:4145361)   #1537
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Should be an exciting event. This is a big year for them with their lineup
Old 1 Mar 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4145373)   #1538
cameronpoe
Rookie

cameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting except the modern BTCC is designed to deter too much factory involvement because it blows up spectacularly if left unchecked
Old 1 Mar 2023, 12:22 (Ref:4145376)   #1539
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think BTCC's unique position is restricting the involvement of OEMs. From a technical side ('factory' support/team), they can't add much due to the strict regulations, only direct access to parts and data. The 'national sales companies' can get involved from a marketing point of view, but its a relatively expensive activity for the UK entities and it may not line up with the mother companies strategy if they did have the money.
Old 1 Mar 2023, 12:42 (Ref:4145377)   #1540
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I think BTCC's unique position is restricting the involvement of OEMs. From a technical side ('factory' support/team), they can't add much due to the strict regulations, only direct access to parts and data. The 'national sales companies' can get involved from a marketing point of view, but its a relatively expensive activity for the UK entities and it may not line up with the mother companies strategy if they did have the money.
And I think that is entirely intentional.

If you listen to some of Gow's interviews previously, you'll know that he considers the level of manufacturer involvements as being poor for the series. Examples such as:

"towards the end of the Super Touring era we had 10 manufacturers, though that wasn’t sustainable. The costs were getting out of control.[...] It was a great era, but a lot of people look back with rose-coloured glasses because the racing we have nowadays is much, much better than ever it was in the Super Touring days. We had to introduce all sorts of artificial means, such as mandatory pit stops, in a bid to make the racing more interesting. The cars eventually became so good, with so much mechanical and aero grip, that they really couldn’t get past each other. The best races were always those in the wet, because all that grip didn’t come into play. It’s easy to look back and say, ‘Wasn’t the racing fantastic?’ but it was the cars, teams and drivers that were fantastic. The racing itself could be pretty poor.”

“Ford spent £12 million in its final season, but most – Nissan, Renault, Volvo – were spending eight to 10. I think Vauxhall got away with six million, eye-watering numbers for a national series.”

"Short to medium term, I think that the amount of manufacturers involved in motorsports certainly won't increase, it will probably decrease, or they will actually consolidate into those areas that they want to be doing. Mercedes is a good example of that. They were involved in DTM, and Formula 1 and Formula E and a few other things like GT racing. They'll consolidate down to Formula 1 and Formula E now. I imagine that most manufacturers will start doing that. Motorsport will always form an important part of the manufacturers' marketing armoury. At least I would hope it would, certainly in the medium term, but I don't think now they will do as much of it, just consolidate and polarise their efforts into one or two series."
Old 1 Mar 2023, 13:28 (Ref:4145380)   #1541
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hyundai Motorsport GmbH is a German company operating with close links to Hyundai in South Korea.

Any Hyundai involvement in BTCC would be akin to sponsorship from a UK Dealer Network. Bristol Street Motors are one such dealer, with c. ten Hyundai franchises I think, but they also have involvement with many other car brands.
Old 1 Mar 2023, 13:31 (Ref:4145381)   #1542
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
It doesn't help that Alan Gow is a bit of a dinosaur these days when it comes to innovation. I guess there just isn't much incentive for TOCA to try and grow the series when it's got full grids.
The first touring car grid anywhere to introduce hybrid power..... how is that lacking innovation ?
Old 1 Mar 2023, 13:54 (Ref:4145383)   #1543
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
The first touring car grid anywhere to introduce hybrid power..... how is that lacking innovation ?
Also inventing Supertouring,rewriting the rules to keep it fresh. I would say Gow has done more for BTCC than ANYONE else! Talk about bite the hand that feeds you
Old 1 Mar 2023, 14:16 (Ref:4145389)   #1544
mphplastering
Rookie

https://fb.watch/i-5N4MjdXi/

Busy season for napa racing
Old 1 Mar 2023, 14:49 (Ref:4145393)   #1545
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Running on a shoestring is down to driver budget though. If someone turns round to Tony and says I really want to drive a Cupra and my budget is 50% more than you are charging for it but I want it to be maintained to a higher standard, parts swapped out more often, etc - I'm sure we would see a much more reliable car.
Agreed - but if a driver has that 50% extra budget they can probably get a seat at a team further up the grid. The Cupra might be better with the extra money thrown at it - but might not, it's a gamble. Also you'd be assuming the 50% extra you provide is all going to be spent on making your car more reliable and not spread amongst all of the cars (or worse - used to make up another drivers budget shortfall).
Old 1 Mar 2023, 15:12 (Ref:4145399)   #1546
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
A good point - sadly, BTCC seems to live in the Noughties in terms of their online presence, compared to all other major championships and that certainly doesn't help things.
How many national series have the live TV coverage that BTCC does?

I would like to see them do a lot more online but at the end of the day ITV restrict a lot of what would make good online content and the TV deal is far more important.
Old 1 Mar 2023, 15:47 (Ref:4145404)   #1547
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
A long list, with a lot easy to view globally.
Old 1 Mar 2023, 16:21 (Ref:4145409)   #1548
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post

I would like to see them do a lot more online but at the end of the day ITV restrict a lot of what would make good online content and the TV deal is far more important.
I will always cite Supercars as an example here - even though I'm not in Australia, I can watch all the races live or on demand and the 'production' is top class. Although, yes, a major difference is Supercars is not FTA in Australia whereas BTCC is in the UK.
So that might be some ground for argument - what's better, having to pay to watch Supercars but get a very good product + reasonably good online presence or having a quite ok FTA TV coverage with very limited online presence and no opportunities to watch abroad, like is the case with the BTCC.

Another example would be ADAC GT Masters, although I didn't watch last year so not sure if it was still widely available to watch as in the previous seasons.
Old 1 Mar 2023, 17:46 (Ref:4145414)   #1549
cameronpoe
Rookie

cameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A long list, with a lot easy to view globally.
The BTCC is a UK series , like Supercars in Australia for most people it’s a destination series , for you it’s a local national championship ,so are you Fernando Alonso by any chance ?
Old 1 Mar 2023, 18:03 (Ref:4145417)   #1550
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpoe View Post
The BTCC is a UK series , like Supercars in Australia for most people it’s a destination series , for you it’s a local national championship ,so are you Fernando Alonso by any chance ?
No, but what's your point? Someone was asking about the coverage of other series compared to BTCC, and I was replying.