Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Jun 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1948037)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans Legends Race, 16 June, 2007

A few rather dodgy pics of this event as I was there. Out at Arnage corner, a clear view over the top of the fencing was limited to about a 50 metre stretch as they were accelerating away from the corner. So all the pics are 'snatched' and all pretty much from the same angle. There I was, at the top of the banking, when I glanced down straight in front of me, and spectating at the fence, no more that 5 metres away was one Ted Walker, whereupon a short exchange of greetings took place along with the observation that it was indeed 'a small World'.

A big field of 59 cars, it soon broke up, and the two leaders drove away at some pace. They were the Andre and Thomas Baillie T70 MkIII and the Ferrari 275LM of Peter Hardman. I never tire of watching Hardman drive; he is truly one of the finest of our current crop of Historic Racers, and he gave Baillie a really tough time until the latter finally managed to get into his stride in the Lola and pulled away. However, the Lola failed to complete the last lap, although was classified 9th overall. Hardman in a strong 2nd place and therefore, by his standards, rather stroking it, inherited the lead, but was completely unaware of the hard charging Shaun Lynn who had started from the back of the grid in his GT40. Lynn's fine drive brought him up to and passed Hardman on the last lap. Hardman thinking that Lynn was unlapping himself was unruffled and let him go. However, I'm sure that had he known the real situation, he would have ensured that Lynn would not have got close enough to pose a real threat. Nevertheless, the GT40 driver's fine effort netted him victory. I understand that Hardman had originally been down to drive the Ferrari P3; had he done so, I really don't think the rest of the field would have seen which way he had gone! Pure speculation, of course!

Tony Dron in the 330LMB came 5th and Graeme and Ollie Bryant came 55th in their Cobra. I rather think that the latter must have experienced some problem, possibly a lenthy driver change?

Very out of focus, but couldn't resist a three abreast picture. On the outside, the Derek Hood/Gary Pearson Lister Jaguar which came in 25th, the Neil and Joe Twyman Lotus 11 series 2, which later pulled off to retire on the approach to Arnage Corner, and the similar car (35) of James Paterson and Chris Aklam which finished 31st:-

Berni Chodosh and John Young were classified 58th with their Corvette:-

Last edited by John Turner; 27 Jun 2007 at 11:34.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 15:41 (Ref:1948214)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Tony Dron in the 330LMB came 5th and Graeme and Ollie Bryant came 55th in their Cobra. I rather think that the latter must have experienced some problem, possibly a lenthy driver change?
Stupid idiot that I am; I know exactly why they finished way down. They had an engine blow up; I have a picture of it and will include it later!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 15:53 (Ref:1948221)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shame !!!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:22 (Ref:1948331)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Henri Stepak's Renault A210 which finished 17th:-

Stephen Markey, who dare I say, I babysat for 35 years ago (but, no, he wouldn't know who I am!), drove the E-type with great exuberance and entertainment to 12th overall; a fine effort:-

T61 Birdcage Maser! Alan and Jason piloted it to 54th, so I'm thinking a problem, here, maybe? I have a list that shows that every car was classified but tells me nothing else I'm afraid:-

Expensive! Showing signs of close attention to its rump, the Ross Warburton/Robert Moores Ferrari 275GTB/C goes on its way to 43rd:-
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:37 (Ref:1948349)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pictures John,have you any MGB shot,s,I,m told that Whizzo was up to his usual antic,s!After he handed over ,the other driver retired the car with a broken throttle cable after two and a half lap,s,I thought that was what the fast idle screw,s were for!!

Last edited by terence; 27 Jun 2007 at 18:39.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:06 (Ref:1948382)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I think I have a pic, Terence. I'll put in the next post!

Two absolute classics! The sole remaining (of only two built) Project 214 Aston Martin of Martin Brewer which he shared with that great Aston GT exponent Mike Salmon, which finished 20th, and David Piper's 275 LM which he shared with Howard Spooner to take 8th place. Either that Ferrari has appalling shutlines or the door is not closed properly!:-

The little 1958 DB HBR5 of Bernard and Xecia Deligny finished 47th:-

Paul Ingram and Chris Chiles took the Cobra to 11th overall:-

My main man; always was, always will be; the maestro himself. Now into his mid 70's, Sir Stirling is, understandably a lot slower then he once was, but if this classic and evocative pose does not bring a lump to your throat, you have no soul!:-
Old 27 Jun 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1948503)   #7
rpj
Rookie

rpj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you have any photo's of the D type?
Old 28 Jun 2007, 07:08 (Ref:1948722)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thanks John,I think it will be a sad day when Sir Stirling hangs up his goggle,s,but as you say,he is a lot slower ,doe,s he have anything to prove though?,looking forward to th "B" shots.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1948783)   #9
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some more pictures

made by Ericerac to download here :

http://bmw318.ifrance.com/historicMans.pdf
Old 28 Jun 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1948855)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great shots, Tatounet!

The sad demise of the Bryant's race:-

The two requests! The MGB mentioned by Terence, and taken to 37th by Barry Sidery-Smith and Jeremy Rogers:-

The D-Type requested by rpj, which took 14th in the hands of Gavin Pickering and Spencer Marsh:-

The winning GT40 of Shaun Lynn, which I had seen only the week before at Snetterton!:-

I think that's my lot. If you want to see anymore, I suggest that you look no further than Tatounet's fine collection.

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Jun 2007 at 10:13.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1948882)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
The sole remaining (of only two built) Project 214 Aston Martin of Martin Brewer which he shared with that great Aston GT exponent Mike Salmon, which finished 20th

I'm hoping that it is the original anyway. It certainly looks right, and was entered as a 1963 car. The only thing that bothers me is that a closer look shows the registration no. 5 BVY, whereas it has carried the registration no 5 NBY for the best part of 40 years. Why would it have had to be re-registered after all these years?
Old 28 Jun 2007, 17:30 (Ref:1949007)   #12
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
Test

Old 28 Jun 2007, 18:20 (Ref:1949049)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Many thanks John,excellent shot of the ONLY genuine Works MGB. That Aston of Martins is something else is,nt it!!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1949445)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched this race on the television (Motors TV had excellant coverage of the whole weekend and I am ashamed to say that I had at least one telly on all weekend!!
The commentator did say that they would be on wet tyres - I must find out what they are as I have always been led to believe we have to race on Dunlop L's and M's!!
The Piper Ferrari (not driven by him) T Boned Whizzo when he was peddling the Lister (he was racing 2 cars in the race!). The 275 bashed the Corvette and the Meins GT40 went impresively airbourne over the chicane. Given that all the incidents happened there I think it could have been victim to the Bryants engine going pop.
Ttally agree with yoru comments about Hardman, he is a truly imopressive driver peddling the much slower Ferrari to great battle with teh baillie's T70. However Shaun Lynn shoudl be congratulated as he suddenly appeared out of nowhere to pip PH on the last lap.
As a postscript Peter Hardman is part of a very hot team for the Spa 6 Hour this year in a Cobra
Old 29 Jun 2007, 07:33 (Ref:1949478)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Strictly Histo,s dear boy, Wet tyres simply mean,s those with more tread!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 07:41 (Ref:1949483)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
my query was said tongue in cheek - this weekend I will need those elusive wets!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 07:45 (Ref:1949487)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
So was the replie[DearBoy]!!!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 14:15 (Ref:1949742)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Wonderful! VERY nice images.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1950083)   #19
rpj
Rookie

rpj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D Type.

Thanks for posting the picture John, It gives us some idea what the car is doing, where was picture taken?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 07:03 (Ref:1950239)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the pictures John & tatounet
Old 30 Jun 2007, 07:11 (Ref:1950244)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
and if you have tread an extra 4psi to open them up a bit !
Old 30 Jun 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1950795)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpj
Thanks for posting the picture John, It gives us some idea what the car is doing, where was picture taken?
All at Arnage.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1950851)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
and if you have tread an extra 4psi to open them up a bit !

Don,t give away secret,s Zef
Old 1 Jul 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1951106)   #24
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
have this one also

Old 1 Jul 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1951444)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Excellent shot Tatounet,Its the most original LM "B" there is,IE ,the chassis is the one it left the woks with!!.Many thanks.