Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Feb 2003, 21:31 (Ref:510959)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Am Saleen

With the limit on engine size that was most likely intended to keep away "ACO style" GTS cars such as the Viper GTSR or Corvette C5R and replace them with TransAm/AGT machines, I was suprised to see the Konrad Saleen in Daytona.

Along with the Mosler, it was the best looking GTS car there, and the Dark Dog colors beat the teel blue and white. My question is: What engine are they running? Is it simply a downsized version of the Ford that they run at Le Mans and ALMS or is it another engine that the team have adapted to fit into the S7R.

I assume they will concentrate mostly on the ALMS again with the 7.0 liter Ford, considering that the car wasn't really that competitive with the spec GTS Grand Am wing and new engine, plus the fact that Grand Am (assuming it will be around, after Yates's column on Speed) will say "no thanks" to GTS in 2004.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 21:39 (Ref:510970)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
5.9 Ford
Old 18 Feb 2003, 23:57 (Ref:511080)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I despair of Grand Am, I really do. I think that the whole concept is becoming dangerous for US sportscar racing. It seems that everything they do is in opposition to something else, whether it be the ACO or the ALMS. If they'd wanted to do something truly different, I could have understood them just abolishing prototypes and running GTS and GT cars only. But Daytona Prototypes make no sense. I don't think North America can or should support two major sportscar series, and the sooner that Don Panoz can take over the running of the Daytona 24 Hours (which will unfortunately never happen) the better. I say without reservation that Sebring is a bigger, more important and more prestigious race than Daytona, and that's Grand Am's fault.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 00:05 (Ref:511088)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 6l Ford V8 isn't really anything new so it wasn't too complex a development job. But, I was surprised that he put up with the hassle of converting a GTS car, and the expense as well! His customers and sponsors must have been very keen on doing Daytona. Next time he'll do as the others did, and bring a Porsche.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 00:14 (Ref:511097)   #5
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhat off the original topic, but on the topic of Grand Am.

I have thought from the begining, knowing their sister company, that their goal was to either become the only sports car body in the US or to eliminate sports car racing altogether.

In a sense, Grand Am exists because ALMS exists. Just my opinion.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 14:15 (Ref:511597)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't want to be seen as a Grand Am basher, because I am not. But after seeing the Daytona Prototypes run I must say that I am underwhelmed. They seem to be little more than rebodied Trans Am cars with less than attractive shapes. The GTS cars could run with them in the infield and outrun them on the straights. Not a brilliant debut for the top class in my opinion.

I agree with BSchneiderFan about the Grand Am running GTS and GT cars. Align the rules so that they can compete in both series and work toward building up sportscar racing. That would allow the factories to go and play with their unlimited prototypes without beating down the privateers.
Never forget #99