Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Mar 2003, 06:19 (Ref:526333)   #1
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTS at Sebring

So maybe I just want to talk about the Vettes, but you can't argue that GTS is going to be just as much a cliffhanger as LMP. This is my breakdown:

Prodrive: Definately the car to watch. Fast, fast, fast. The car is not entirely unreliable, it's just when it breaks, it breaks big. They should be able to go 12 hours, but I'm guessing Sebring will take it's toll, and put them into the pits for repairs.

Saleen: So what's the deal? Is it restricted, or not? The S7Rs have been in shambles since the rule change. While it is certainly a capable performer, the teams haven't had any chance at momentum. I don't think the Saleen will be on it's feet til the end of the year, and they have no shot at Sebring.

Carsport America: Well, we know how good their Viper program is. Everyone seems to be hoping for a Saleen '01 type performance for the Zonda. Two reasons why this won't happen. One, not enough talent behind the wheel. Two, the car was built like yesterday. It might be awesome by the end of the year, but not at Sebring.

Corvette: With the restrictions on the Saleen, the improvement of the Vettes going into last year was greatly ignored. Last year's qualifying time by Fellows at Sebring was a new record. Faster than Saleen. Faster than Oreca. P&M will have an even faster Vette this year. It's seems people jump on everything that doesn't go well with the Vettes. It's happened like twice now.

So it all boiles down to C5R vs 550. The deciding factor at Sebring will be who did their homework. Did the Vette get the speed? Did the 550 get the reliablity? What do you think?
Old 6 Mar 2003, 07:39 (Ref:526368)   #2
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say watch out for Rafinelli, that car might impress......
Old 6 Mar 2003, 12:28 (Ref:526538)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ProDrive Ferrari is my choice. Last year at Mid-Ohio Ron Fellows said "When Ferrari get their reliability problems under control, the Ferrari will eat Corvette's lunch!" I'm going to be interviewing Davidson and Kox at Sebring and I'm quite interested in hearing Kox compare the Ferrari to the Spyker which he drove last year. And if I get the Corvette chat someone is trying to set up for me, I'll certainly ask the POV of both the Corvette and Ferrari drivers on this subject.

If the Saleen is unrestricted, depending on who's driving it this year it could be a surprise. But Terry Borcheller is in the Risi Ferrari in GT.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 13:27 (Ref:526583)   #4
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, the Saleen will still have a 5% restrictor on, for something, but i know they got rid of the other 5% one during the offseason

But it looks like there may not be a saleen running in the alms fulltime. Franz Konrad has decided to run in the fiagt series, and he may not have the cash to run in both series. we will see. He is entered for Mexico, so it will probably depend on how well he does at Le Mans.

and the Pagini Drivers for sering are the some of the best ones around.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 14:14 (Ref:526614)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'd say the Kox/Enge Ferrari will probably be the fastest thing out there in GTS. Both are classy, classy drivers. If it holds together, they will, if you'll forgive the phrase, open a can of whup-ass on the Corvettes.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 14:21 (Ref:526618)   #6
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the durability of the Corvettes because these Pratt and Miller Engine power is the toughest.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 14:22 (Ref:526619)   #7
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ferrari will be the one to watch, but as you rightly pointed out Chevyguy, it is fragile.

Anyway, I'd like to point out that we have a vette antered into the Brit GT's this year which I am looking forward to seeing (and hearing) on the grid!!

Last edited by MGF; 6 Mar 2003 at 14:22.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 23:35 (Ref:527136)   #8
Chevyguy
Racer

Speeddemon, hate to be a stickler, but the Vette engine is built by Katec.

I should apologize to Carsport for my poor choice of words. Their drivers are talented individuals, not good enough to kick ass with a car they don't yet know.

I had a feeling someone would say that the Prodrive is gonna open a can on the Vettes. Might be true, but Rafinelli has got to be a long shot. The only image I can conjuer of the puke green 550 was a live shot going into commercial, "this program brought to you Olive Garden." There you could see the door of the Ferrari and the car getting worked on in the background. How humiliating!

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 7 Mar 2003, 00:24 (Ref:527169)   #9
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to Snetterton where Prodrive were testing both their Sebring entrys before they were shipped over for the race the next day.

Thomas Enge and British GT champion Jamie Davies ran one car and Kelvin Burt, Darren Turner and new to GT's Ant Davidson BARs F1 test driver ran the other.

Both cars in Ferrari Red looked and sounded gorgeous, and both 'ran like clocks' every driver lapped the circuit in the low 1min 4sec bracket which is PDQ at Snetters!

Wish I could afford to go watch the race!...but I will get to LeMans though.

Where can I log on to follow the action Chevyguy?
Old 7 Mar 2003, 01:11 (Ref:527205)   #10
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This link should take you the the event page where you will find links to live timing and Radio Le Mans.

http://www.imsaracing.net/imsa.cfm?h...ring/index.htm
Old 7 Mar 2003, 18:10 (Ref:527969)   #11
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Raffy will be a threat if they can get their Pirellis working on Sebring's track surface. Pirelli has been out of it for a while, so I expect a steep learning curve.

Corvette has to be the favorite just on driver strength and testing/racing alone. Prodrive I'm sure will be quick though. They sure were towards the end of the race last year.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 18:56 (Ref:528006)   #12
RacingManiac
Racer

I don't see how you can expect Corvette to be as vulnerable to the Prodrive as they were last year....it's like assuming Ferrari will take leaps and bounce while Vette is standing still.....don't forget, GM is still fully commited to the Vette program unlike their Cadillac program....
Old 8 Mar 2003, 00:07 (Ref:528319)   #13
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the difference is that getting a relatively new quick car more reliable is a lot easier than finding additional speed on a car that's been around for a few years and is nearing the end of it's development.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 00:23 (Ref:528340)   #14
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ran into the Prodrive crew at a gas station outside Sebring.......they are funny. But the mentioned that the Ferrari is super fast, just extremely stressful on the drivers, but it bounces around in the turns and on the bumps like crazy, and every lap is scary and stressful for them! I hope they win though.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 04:22 (Ref:528491)   #15
Chevyguy
Racer

Interesting. It looks so smooth. I'll watch for this next weekend.

Crockett, when does a car end it's development? I thought that wasn't until the program is shut down.

Old 8 Mar 2003, 22:41 (Ref:529233)   #16
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Well, how much longer is the General likely to fund the Corvette program Chevyguy?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 01:37 (Ref:529443)   #17
RacingManiac
Racer

I think as long as there are commercial value to it, and as far as this goes, Corvette still has that. The C5-R has been a very different car though since its inception in 99.....going from narrow track to widetrack, different drivetrain layout, and various evolution of the aero package. It's not like the Ferrari were completely outdating the Vette, they are fast on some track, but less so on others, and Vette is just plainly more reliable compare to it, as well as the driving strengh of the Vette is also more dependable.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 12:17 (Ref:529944)   #18
Chevyguy
Racer

The C5R will be continued as long as its winning races. Ron Fellows says so anyway, but what's the word of a driver? If the Prodrive can make the Vette look bad, then we might see it go. In other words, it's here while it's on top. If it does start getting beat, we won't want to watch it anymore, right?

I think the whole Caddy deal has really stuck in the minds of many, Just remember, Chevy us more than GM, Chevy is its own animal. It's the division of GM that actually enjoys racing. Don't let the Caddy program fool you into beleive that the Vette is not going to seen through. Besides, next weekend, the Ferraris might be wondering how the heck they'e going to catch the Vettes.

Old 9 Mar 2003, 12:19 (Ref:529945)   #19
Chevyguy
Racer

Sorry for the typos.

Old 9 Mar 2003, 19:57 (Ref:530500)   #20
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
I'm really looking forward to next weekend to see how they all measure up; let's hope there are a number of competitive cars, as domination is the least attractive scenario for any racing.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 17:25 (Ref:531717)   #21
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know some of the Prodrive Ferrari drivers quite well, they've just had 7 laps each in todays first morning practice, all seems to have gone okay so far, no mention of it being "Scary" these guys are all old hands here in Europe in a wide variety of machinery eg: Turner is ex Merc DTM star and McLaren F1 test pilot last 3 years, Davies is ex F3000 and current British GT champion in a Ferrari. Davidson is F1 test pilot for BAR Honda. Thomas Enge is ex F1 Grand Prix, and F3000 pilot.

Early days.

Last edited by high contrast; 10 Mar 2003 at 17:29.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 20:09 (Ref:531925)   #22
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is my first visit to the ALMS pages and you guys are educating me quite well. Keep it up, especially during the next few days as we build up to the Sebring race.

From what little I do know I'll go along with the Prodrive 550 Ferrari as the GTS winner, driven by the three British drivers. They need a boost to their careers and Sebring would go down pretty nicely I think.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 22:30 (Ref:532113)   #23
Waco Racer
Rookie

Waco Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevyguy, your brain has obviously melted from all that driving around town with all of those crazy people. You know that the Prodrive team will be unstoppable this year as long as there are no Ferrari team orders. Ha! Anyway, sorry I missed your call on Sat. & Sun. I'll call you before the race Saturday morning. I hope you don't have to work, if you do let me know and I'll tape the Prodrive mudhole stomp for you.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 00:42 (Ref:532249)   #24
Chevyguy
Racer

I'm taping the end of it. Got a gig. Testing times are so far telling a differant story. HA! I know, I know. Can you say "sandbagging"? lol

Mr. W,

Those are crazy people. And I knew it was you since two days ago.