Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Feb 2012, 01:18 (Ref:3027782)   #201
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Nissan To Join V8Supercar...

Only a week late Mr McKay... and you couldnt help yourself... telling the new carmaker entering the sport that they are probably doomed to failure on the car sales front after entering the sport...
A week late?

Wasn't McKay tipping the Nissan/Kelly combo a fortnight or so ago in his column?
Old 19 Feb 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3027785)   #202
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Still pining for the 2 litre series by the sound of it 13 years after its demise. Perhaps all that exotica at the 12 hour is the future, very appealing to the average man in the street.
The V8 series should have embraced GT3........COtF is an opportunity lost.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 05:14 (Ref:3027820)   #203
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
The V8 series should have embraced GT3........COtF is an opportunity lost.
GT3 requires a homologation model for sale though?
Old 19 Feb 2012, 05:24 (Ref:3027823)   #204
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Still pining for the 2 litre series by the sound of it 13 years after its demise.
When chatting to people who like cars, but not necessarily V8 Supercars or motorsport. I was thinking of alternative options for CAMS, to create a series that accommodates different types of cars, that you can't shoe horn a 5 litre V8 into, that doesn't force a name change of V8 Supercars (What kind of name is that?) and won't disturb the current motorsport landscape or cause that chump, Cochrane, to start another poo fight.

My idea was to scrap the Development series, the Carrera Cup and have those teams adopt a...V6 Supercar series? 2.5, 3, 3.5 litre engines, whatever. Also, an I4 Supercar series, equal to or less than 2 litres. It'd be a similar format to Motorbike GP, where there's MotoGP, Moto2 and now, Moto3. Obviously V8 Supercars would be the leading class to aspire to but, like Moto2 and Moto3, competitors/teams can still carve out career in the smaller classes.

It won't limit the type of manufacturer or force a manufacturer to compromise their car significantly and won't get Cocho's knickers in a knot (since he's been allowed a significant amount of power in Australian motorsport). Might even allow for a real Bathurst, hey? Class winners and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
The 2 litre series was pretty entertaining but it was the same as Group A in that the winning car seemed to swing from one to the other
You say that like it's a bad thing?

Quote:
and rule changes to equalise things were too slow in coming.
Why do you want to equalise different cars? It is called "car" racing, "motor"sport.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 05:29 (Ref:3027826)   #205
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
such a good idea f1, why dont you use the millions of dollars you obviously have and go and make it happen.

seriously why would we do that, what purpose does it serve
Old 19 Feb 2012, 05:37 (Ref:3027828)   #206
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing?
It is, fans switch off, and manufacturers leave.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3027839)   #207
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ
Why do you want to equalise different cars? It is called "car" racing, "motor"sport.
I guess an Indycar, something from the JTCC, NASCAR Nationwide, a Grand AM protoype, would be all acceptable?
Quote:
My idea was to scrap the Development series, the Carrera Cup and have those teams adopt a...V6 Supercar series? 2.5, 3, 3.5 litre engines, whatever. Also, an I4 Supercar series, equal to or less than 2 litres.
I can see this happening just get at least Aus $40-50 million and Viola! you have your series.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 19 Feb 2012 at 06:44. Reason: Adding Author
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:26 (Ref:3027842)   #208
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
It is, fans switch off, and manufacturers leave.
The problem when a competition doesn't succeed is not the lack of competitiveness or whether it's not even. The problem is when the wider public don't relate to it. There was nothing wrong with Group A, in principle anyway. A problem for Group A, I suspect, was that a high end manufacturer (BMW) was the leading car early on. Then, a car that you couldn't even buy in Australia, despite it being a Ford. Then, a car, which it's presence in the competition was controversial, no wonder Group A wasn't popular.

1993 rolls around, with cars that people/fans relate to, it's popularity grows multiple times over. Same competition, same teams, same drivers, same tracks. Many, many more people turn up and give it attention.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:36 (Ref:3027843)   #209
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A problem for Group A, I suspect, was that a high end manufacturer (BMW) was the leading car early on. Then, a car that you couldn't even buy in Australia, despite it being a Ford. Then, a car, which it's presence in the competition was controversial, no wonder Group A wasn't popular.
Then an unobtainable car later ,the Nissan Skyline than ran away from the competiton in every race. Pretty predictable racing.
Quote:
1993 rolls around, with cars that people/fans relate to, it's popularity grows multiple times over. Same competition, same teams, same drivers, same tracks. Many, many more people turn up and give it attention.
Yes they actually raced against each other.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 19 Feb 2012 at 06:42. Reason: adding author
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:49 (Ref:3027845)   #210
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Then an unobtainable car later ,the Nissan Skyline than ran away from the competiton in every race. Pretty predictable racing.
100 of the R32 GTR were imported into Australia but were the not insignificant sum of $100k at the time.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:57 (Ref:3027847)   #211
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nissan To Join V8Supercar...

Only a week late Mr McKay... and you couldnt help yourself... telling the new carmaker entering the sport that they are probably doomed to failure on the car sales front after entering the sport...
That bit of B grade trash journalism just confirms what a bitter and twisted clown McKay is.

SERIOUSLY!

We are one week out from the 2nd biggest national motorsport event (IMO) at one of the best race tracks in the world, with a host a makes (other than Ford & Holden), international teams and drivers competing, not to mention our local big talent.

NINE paragraphs banging on about OLD news and ONE paragraph on the 12 hour!
I seriously question if he is actually a motorsport enthusiast...
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3027848)   #212
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
The problem when a competition doesn't succeed is not the lack of competitiveness or whether it's not even. The problem is when the wider public don't relate to it. There was nothing wrong with Group A, in principle anyway. A problem for Group A, I suspect, was that a high end manufacturer (BMW) was the leading car early on. Then, a car that you couldn't even buy in Australia, despite it being a Ford. Then, a car, which it's presence in the competition was controversial, no wonder Group A wasn't popular.

I've gone back and watched as many races from the Group A era as is possible and at the end of the day, it was pretty darn boring. I wouldn't say it was terrible, but on the level of a showroom stock touring car series you might see in the USA. Interesting to the motor racing nerd and maybe the whine and cheese crowd, but not a spectacle with noise and horsepower that is going to draw a big crowd at the track or on TV.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 07:02 (Ref:3027849)   #213
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
but not a spectacle with noise and horsepower that is going to draw a big crowd at the track or on TV.
And yet Group A racing did draw comparatively big crowds and decent TV ratings.

You can't compare 2012 to 1992
Old 19 Feb 2012, 07:07 (Ref:3027852)   #214
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I guess an Indycar, something from the JTCC, NASCAR Nationwide, a Grand AM protoype, would be all acceptable?
If you were answering the question legitimately (I can't tell for sure). I wouldn't be using Indycar as a counter-argument for anything. A state motorkhana series is a more genuine motorsport comp. I'm not sure of what you are saying, tbh, none of those series are a must see.

Quote:
I can see this happening just get at least Aus $40-50 million and Viola! you have your series.
I do detect a condescending nature to this response, but anyway.

I'm not saying this is to happen overnight. FIM Motorbike GP has been around for more than 60 years. Early on, there was 50, 80, 125, 250, 350 and 500cc before settling on just 125, 250 and 500's. It's now MotoGP, Moto2 and 3. It caters for all types of motorbike fans without the need of help from a concert and causes traffic problems a Phillip Island. It's a bigger series than than V8 Supercars, even taking into account the obvious. As far as the $50 mil is concerned? Well, the Victorian FVee series isn't expecting to get $300mil+ for it's next TV rights, call it an investment. Just an idea.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3027853)   #215
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think its a bit off topic. this boring old argument has happened again and again, why dont we go and discuss it in one of those threads, see if we can get anything vaguely new
Old 19 Feb 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3027854)   #216
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
What a load of crap. Most people who I've talked to who follow the sport either from a distance or very closely from both red and blue sides of the fence have no problem with Nissan joining the series, in fact the vast majority of them are quite happy to see Nissan throwing their hat in the ring. Sounds like he's trying to stir up the hate of the GroupA days. Tool.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3027856)   #217
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
What a load of crap. Most people who I've talked to who follow the sport either from a distance or very closely from both red and blue sides of the fence have no problem with Nissan joining the series, in fact the vast majority of them are quite happy to see Nissan throwing their hat in the ring. Sounds like he's trying to stir up the hate of the GroupA days. Tool.
Mr McKay was the first journo to drive the Gibson-fettled 'Godzilla' Group 'A' Nissan Skyline GT-R on the race track back in 1990... do you think the marketing muscle at Kelly Racing, and Nissan, might like to extend Mr McKay an invitation to drive the Nissan Altima CotF V8Supercar at one of the official test days later in the year?

I think Nissan might be in a good place to build a bridge here... if the journo doesnt cross it.. then they cant die wondering if there is anything that could have been done.

Commentary such as that in the SMH does ZERO to further the sport.

ZERO!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Feb 2012, 09:14 (Ref:3027876)   #218
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
So happy to see the Kelly's ditch holden........my new heroes.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3027910)   #219
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
I didn't think it was possible for McKay to get more hysterical. Obviously I was wrong.

I doubt he could spell 'credible' without spell check
Old 20 Feb 2012, 06:28 (Ref:3028217)   #220
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Commentary such as that in the SMH does ZERO to further the sport.

ZERO!
Its not the SMH's job the further the sport, that is V8Supercars and CAMS job.

Have V8Supercars ever tried to mend bridges with Mr McKay?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 07:47 (Ref:3028237)   #221
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Over-reaction to Peter McKay's article by some people in this thread, he said nothing that is worth getting revved up about.........hope Nissan kick holden's butt so I can listen to their supporters whinge........music to my ears.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3028240)   #222
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Over-reaction to Peter McKay's article by some people in this thread, he said nothing that is worth getting revved up about.........hope Nissan kick holden's butt so I can listen to their supporters whinge........music to my ears.
The issue is that a major news outlet in Australia's biggest market is so anti-V8Supercar that the situation has to be untenable.

Somebody inside the V8Supercar enclave needs to fix this... and how...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Feb 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3028241)   #223
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
such a good idea f1, why dont you use the millions of dollars you obviously have and go and make it happen.

seriously why would we do that, what purpose does it serve
Who's "we"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I've gone back and watched as many races from the Group A era as is possible and at the end of the day, it was pretty darn boring. I wouldn't say it was terrible
Not being a smart a***, but, boring or not terrible. Which one is it?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3028243)   #224
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So happy to see the Kelly's ditch holden........my new heroes.
Makes sense that you would be blue as seeing that the Ford boys can't lift their game, it can only help by weakening the red side
Are you going to the mountain this weekend ?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 08:48 (Ref:3028269)   #225
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Makes sense that you would be blue as seeing that the Ford boys can't lift their game, it can only help by weakening the red side
Are you going to the mountain this weekend ?
Well done!!! Now you've got it!!!.......if you can't beat them bring them down to your level........straight out of the holden book of dirty tricks (throw rocks on track, iron filings in oppositions fuel, have officials remove oppositions undertray just before Bathurst etc, etc, etc)

Unfortunately I can't make it to the mount. I have some business to sort out down south.........you enjoy yourself though Reload and we want a full report.