Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Aug 2003, 18:02 (Ref:691493)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How to improve F1

These are f1-live's suggestions on how to improve F1:

Modify track layout
In order for the drivers to overtake, each track should have at least one area which consists of a long straight followed by a tight corner and a "forgiving" run-off area. Otherwise, the drivers just don't have the proper opportunity to try making up a position on the track.

Ban traction control & launch control
Electronic aids make F1 too easy for the drivers. Never mind the fact that even with electronic aids, the best drivers will still come up on top. It may be true but it doesn't change the fact that the fans come to see amazingly talented drivers that have the skill to control wild, powerful cars. Let's see them use all the skills that they have.

Reduce aerodynamic downforce
Aerodynamic downforce is a big problem. Today's F1 cars rely so much on aerodynamic efficiency that it is virtually impossible for a driver to follow another car too closely because his own car's aerodynamic balance is too much affected by the disturbed air flow of the car in front. Without getting close, how can they try an overtaking manoeuvre ?

Increase mechanical grip
Make the cars more impressive ! Bring back the wider tyres and keep the 3-litre engines ! F1 cars should be imposing and outrageous. The show must impress. F1 cars should not become "wimpy" with narrow tyres and small engines.

Eliminate pit stops
With pit stops, the drivers prefer to wait and not make a move on the track. Why take chances when a position can be gained in the pits ? If Bernie wants to keep the pit stops for television drama, let's have a maximum of one pit stop per driver, per race. And have these pits stops as early in the race as possible (no later than the first one-third of the event ?) so that for most of the race, the driver still have to fight on the track to make his final position.

Bring back semi-automatic transmissions
Let the drivers do the work and decide when to shift gears !

Try something new and exciting for the fans !
How about a shout-out after each Grand Prix between the top three finishers ? A five-lap, all or nothing battle between the three podium finishers for a 3-point bonus in the championship for the winner of this sprint race. The three drivers would start with their cars in the state that they were after the main Grand Prix. The three cars would be aligned side by side at the starting line, with the Grand Prix winner choosing which side of the track he wants to start on.
Or something else new and refreshing to give a little bit more to the fans who come to watch something fun and spectacular. Formula One should remain a showcase of technology but most importantly, a place where the best drivers in the world can make a difference.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 18:05 (Ref:691497)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I generally agree with most of the points except the one about reducing pitstops.Pitstops create more excitement especially with the new rules .

So then guys any more suggestions and what do you think about the above suggestions to improve F1
Old 18 Aug 2003, 19:29 (Ref:691553)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see refuelling banned again, tyre strategies were much better as you had those who tried to stay out that little bit longer.

Remember the Leyton Houses at Paul Ricard all those years ago!
Old 18 Aug 2003, 19:43 (Ref:691572)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I do indeed Paulzinho, pity they didn't last the race distance...

I too would love to see re-fueling banned.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 19:53 (Ref:691584)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
I'd like to see refuelling banned again, tyre strategies were much better as you had those who tried to stay out that little bit longer.
I agree, strategy was also dependant upon the skill of the driver. You had to think on your feet, drive with greater skill and you could always try different things. Plus different drivers would end up with cars on different tyre at the end (a bit like Hock this year) and there is more chance and need of overtaking all through the GP.

Other than that, most of the ideas in F1-live are decent. Although I'm not sure of the comedy shoot-out (I presume it is shoot not shout, or is it something for the press conference - Irvine might have stood a better chance!).
Old 18 Aug 2003, 20:28 (Ref:691606)   #6
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I agree with all of the above, except the shoot-out thing. If you want to give the fans more, then have better support races! (Sportscars or TGP, which I believe has been used in the past, or something like Procar where the top F1 guys race in a one-make series!)

Would DEFINITELY ban refuelling, but keep tyre strategies - that used to promote overtaking, not reduce it!

Oh, and I might even go so far as to get rid of semi-auto gearboxes as well and just have a good old manual box!
Old 18 Aug 2003, 20:34 (Ref:691611)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ooh an H pattern gearbox!!!!

Whilst F1 has been more exciting this year I just want to see a bit more "driving".

I want to know that the drivers are using the throttle, changing gears at the optimum time, reacting to the start lights.

Also would love to see the return of some of those power slides! YER!!!!!
Old 18 Aug 2003, 20:40 (Ref:691619)   #8
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ABSOLUTELY
Old 18 Aug 2003, 20:58 (Ref:691632)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some great ideas except for the shootout but all the other ides would work without a doubt.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 23:28 (Ref:691761)   #10
jpm
Rookie

jpm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,

I agree with most said above except "modify track layout"
Cars should be built to drive on the existing tracks if you do it the other way round you end up in all tracks looking the same. Almost all of the modified tracks didn´t improve the overtaking situation in F1 so the only solution is change the aerodynamics of the cars .Take a look at the Champcars and you`ll see it is possible.

And yes, bring back the Procar series that would be great fun.

Solong jpm
Old 19 Aug 2003, 00:50 (Ref:691790)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ban all electronic gizmos - no LC/TC/Automatic gearboxes. Return of the stick-shift and foot-clutch.

No Carbon brakes
Old 19 Aug 2003, 01:12 (Ref:691801)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First and foremost-shoot bernie and max!!!!
They bring unbeliveable amounts of disgrace and dirision on f1.
With them gone,suddenly we would all feel better KNOWING it would be POSSIBLE to improve things
Old 19 Aug 2003, 01:33 (Ref:691805)   #13
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of the five lap bonus round after the GP for the top 3 finishers. As strange as it might appear on first thoughts, a race like that at the end with cars at the end of their tether and drivers going nuts would be a spectacle worth watching.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 19 Aug 2003, 03:57 (Ref:691821)   #14
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Powerslides should be the way to go!

the public would love it!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 04:22 (Ref:691825)   #15
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring backs slicks

and I personally would like to see a return to the active suspensions and other gizmos. Except I think that Launch control and ABS should go/stay gone. Maybe add a point for the person who overtakes the most cars on the track, or the person who finishes the farthest forward of their original grid spot. I think bonus points would be a good direction to go in, except we need to stay away from a point for simply leading a lap or we would endup with the pass-repass situation like nascar. maybe a point for person who finishes the first lap with the biggest position gain, or points for the fastest lap but divide them so it is three opporunities, fastest 1st quarter lap, fastest middle hald lap, and fastest last quarter lap
Old 19 Aug 2003, 06:11 (Ref:691853)   #16
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track layout one is on to something... Here's my idea of a good style of corner to set up (AFAIK its nothing like Herman Tilke's ideas)

Have corners with good run off room (tarmac), but where the apex of the corner is cambered outwards, and the outside of the corner is cambered inwards. This means that the camber favours the driver on the outside, and penalises the driver on the inside - hence there are two good lines through the corner (a shorter one on the inside, and a faster one on the outside)

Of course, you'd need a good drainage system in the middle of the track, but thats not impossible.

Done correctly, either line would produce the same lap time, so it would be interesting to see the qualifying runs, and which line each driver chooses.

It's kind of like the Carousel at the Nordschleif.

If such a corner was between two good straights, it should promote passing.

You might even see a little bit of crashing as the guy on the inside understeers towards the guy on the outside.

I'm bored of Tilke Tracks. Silverstone made some excellent racing this year, and Mr. Tilke wasn't involved in that one!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 06:14 (Ref:691855)   #17
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And my opinion on the driver aids: keep them.

I don't want to see drivers getting passed because they made a stupid mistake - I want to see them getting passed for real reasons.

And active suspension was a great idea. Saves sooooo much money against having springs/dampers. (do you know how much money F1 teams pour into springs & dampers, when they would only need 1 set of active dampers and a computer?).

Plus, if they developed active suspension, it'd find its way into road cars - and that's one things that F1 hasn't done for years.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 06:29 (Ref:691859)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Zuschauer
And my opinion on the driver aids: keep them.

I don't want to see drivers getting passed because they made a stupid mistake - I want to see them getting passed for real reasons.

But that's the whole art of racing. Not making mistakes when under pressure and exploiting other's mistakes to your advantage. Having electronics remove this aspect is contrived.

By "real" reasons, can we assume a glitch separates the drivers from their peers?
Old 19 Aug 2003, 15:23 (Ref:692329)   #19
krt917
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
But that's the whole art of racing. Not making mistakes when under pressure and exploiting other's mistakes to your advantage. Having electronics remove this aspect is contrived.
Yes, and they take away something from the spectacle - less sliding etc. If I had to put my F1 pet hates in order it would probably be (depending on the day!!):
1. Software (ESPECIALLY TRACTION CONTROL)
2. Downforce (prevents overtaking)
3. Fuel stops (Creates artificial excitement which is 'required' due to the aboe being present, dangerous)
Old 19 Aug 2003, 15:37 (Ref:692336)   #20
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should revert to steel brake discs as well. This will icrease braking distances by miles, steel brakes are also more unpredictable and change a lot more throughout the race. It will easily show up the best drivers
Old 19 Aug 2003, 15:46 (Ref:692345)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you ralf fan, up to mechanical grip; after that i don't agree, in the sense I'm not sure at all that what you purpose would really improve the spectacle.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 19:01 (Ref:692489)   #22
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a grip

More mechanical grip would be number 1 on my list. Bring back big, fat slicks while reducing aero downforce. "Dirty air" would be less of a factor and -- as we've seen the last few races -- passes could be made at tracks without long straights and at corners that aren't normally considered passing opportunities.

Keep the fancy carbon brakes. Shorter braking distances put a premium on driver reaction time. In other words, it's easier to get it wrong. Driver skill becomes more important.

A return to semi-auto transmissions would be OK, but clutch pedals are just too old fashioned.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 19:42 (Ref:692523)   #23
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars need to have electronic aids removed, i want to see cars with more power than grip so its a challange to drive them.
Pi stops is a big arguing point, one reson for them is that cars have lower fuel loads if a car crashes, so accidents like Nikki Laudas could be avoided, BUT when was the last time you saw a car in a MAJOR crash burst into flames? appart from pit stops i cant think of an occasion.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 20:10 (Ref:692554)   #24
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One other thing about pit stops besides the inherent excitement of them: different fuel strategies mean cars running on different fuel loads. That CREATES passing opportunities
Old 19 Aug 2003, 20:20 (Ref:692562)   #25
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: How to improve F1

Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan

The three drivers would start with their cars in the state that they were after the main Grand Prix.

I don't think that would have worked in Brazil this year. Race winner Fisichella's engine blew up just after the red flag, and 3rd placed Alonso crashed out. Or are spare cars allowed?