Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Feb 2004, 13:15 (Ref:885179)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anglesey Circuit Set For Bigger Things?

This is taken from the Anglesey Circuit WWW

Anglesey Circuit is set to become a Research and Development Centre of Excellence, which could bring 100 priceless jobs to the island.

A proposed £4m project, which could bring £2m of additional annual expenditure to the island economy, received a welcome boost last week.

The proposed reconfiguration of the circuit would not only improve its infrastructure and surrounding facilities, while improving the provision of major environmental and landscape facilities, but would also develop Anglesey Circuit as a research and development education and training resource.

Last week, the Anglesey Economic Regeneration Partnership (AERP), which is administered by the county council's economic development unit, supported the project by agreeing to allocate the full amount of Objective One funding being sounght - £1.6m.

Richard Seaman, on behalf of Trac Môn Ltd. was also delighted with the news. He said; "The fact that the AERP has given our bid for funding the thumbs up is a great vote of confidence before the full application goes before WEFO (Welsh European Funding Office).

"This is a key private sector development which had to seek Objective One funding to make sure it saw the light of day, and we are very confident it will make a substantial impact on the local and regional economy."

Mr Seaman added: "We intend to create a fully-fledged education and training facility on Anglesey. Motorsport is one of the UK's world-beating industries.

"It generates £5 billion of annual sales and employes 40,000 - many of which are in the skilled engineering and high-technology sectors.

"The reconfiguration woould mean that international racing events, from British Superbike to Formula 3, could be staged on Anglesey.

"There are only 16 licensed circuits in mainland Britain, one of these is Anglesey Circuit, and we hope to establish a world class venue here by 2010."

Economic delelopment portfolio holder and AERP member, Councillor Gareth Winston Roberts, said: "The project will prove to be a great asset to Anglesey's long-term economy, as it will be the only track of its kind, certainly in North Wales.

"Add to this the fact that it will be working in partnership with local education establishments to give young people a fantastic opportunity in car mechanics and engineering you'll find that is why the AERP gave the application its further backing."

Head of the economic development unit, Huw Griffith, commented: "This is an exciting project which could bring much needed jobs to the Island.

"The reconfiguration of the Anglesey Circuit would attract thousands of spectators and boost the local economy."

By 2010, independent economic consultants have forecast the development will result in 129 full time equivalent jobs, 130,000 visitors per year, 29,000 overnight stays and £2.3m of annual expenditure in the local economy
Old 25 Feb 2004, 14:27 (Ref:885217)   #2
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great for anglesey, oh and they dont rip u off hmmm jp comes to mind! quitted the racing car scene - go karting much more value! i suggest any north west england or welsh motorsport fans get down to watch at glan y gors near cerrig in wales!!! just off A5 what a place!!!!
Old 25 Feb 2004, 15:25 (Ref:885253)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm off - I'm moving to Anglesey.

I wish.
Old 25 Feb 2004, 15:39 (Ref:885264)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I absolutely love being on Anglesey!
There's nothing there really - but that's the attraction. Plus having a circuit just adds to the fact that I too want to live there!!

F3's eh? They could bring the BTCC as well!
One weekend over at Mondello and then the following at Ty Croes - They all drive past it on the way to the ferry!!
Old 25 Feb 2004, 17:54 (Ref:885371)   #5
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe F3 teams have already started using it for testing.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 08:31 (Ref:885930)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
This is great news for Anglesey which is definitely one of my favourite circuits.

Having said that, I wonder if they've considered the problem of getting enough marshals to cover the circuit once they increase the size.

Any time I've been to Anglesey there seem to have been very few local marshals there. The majority of people had travelled 2 hours and upwards in order to be there. What I always find funny is that we usually spend less time travelling to Anglesey from Dublin than a lot of the UK marshals do from their home bases (mind you, it costs quite a bit more - or we'd go there more often!)

Still hopefully if they're only staging the large events on the extended circuit, marshals will follow.

For anyone who hasn't been to Anglesey, it really is a great circuit and a lot of fun to marshal
Old 26 Feb 2004, 10:03 (Ref:886025)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know - diz will definitely know - they will only be using the new larger circuit. They don't want to use the hairpin and of the current layout because of issues with the neighbours I think.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 10:28 (Ref:886048)   #8
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sowman
As far as I know - diz will definitely know - they will only be using the new larger circuit. They don't want to use the hairpin and of the current layout because of issues with the neighbours I think.
I would think the full layout would only be used for high profile events. There is scope - within the four possible configurations - to run two events on the same day. E.g. a car race and a track day, or a bike race and a car race, or a race school and a test day. The options are endless.

Any single seater drivers who fancy it, there is a Black Dog test day on Sat 13 March.

Any non racers who fancy it, there is a race school the following day.

Take the opportunity now to drive the Radar and Douglas complexes and the Hairpin. You won't be able to much longer.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 11:02 (Ref:886082)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
...There is scope - within the four possible configurations - to run two events on the same day. E.g. a car race and a track day, or a bike race and a car race, or a race school and a test day. The options are endless.
OR....if the XR2's go straight on at School, they might find themselves being a part of a bike race!!
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:55 (Ref:886224)   #10
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
OR....if the XR2's go straight on at School, they might find themselves being a part of a bike race!!
Or a late entry in the off shore powerboat race
Old 26 Feb 2004, 17:22 (Ref:886468)   #11
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
I believe F3 teams have already started using it for testing.
TVR Regularly Test here.

Ian
Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:28 (Ref:892691)   #12
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Anglesey as it is, short and basic with some good racing. The problem I see with extending it is manning a longer circuit. How many times have we been two or three to a post (sometimes less)? If they double the length we'll need more people and unless it's a big meeting (F3 or BTCC, possibly some of the more popular national championships)I don't think they'll get them. It's a good hour and half to two hours for most of the Oulton regulars, and you've got the North Wales Speed gestapo to contend with.
I've also heard they're losing Radar and the Hairpin which will be a real shame.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 20:52 (Ref:893908)   #13
mini-mental
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
mini-mental should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Newns
How many times have we been two or three to a post (sometimes less)?
That Many! I'm hoping for that many at Rockingham