Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Aug 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3843570)   #276
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Interestingly, Autosport's article on Matt Simpson states:

"He raced alongside Speedworks Motorsport in his maiden BTCC season in 2016 before allying himself with Team Dynamics for the '17 campaign, and owns the TOCA BTCC Licence (TBL) for his entry."

which implies HE owns his TBL not Simpson Racing and gets it aligned to teams
his team owns the licence. his team is an actual team and not just a sponsor team name like 'pirtek racing'.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3843613)   #277
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
So Autosport are running an article about JP the villain. With his blessing... he's up to something, he always has a motive when he opens his mouth. So is he after Alonso's seat? ��
Old 14 Aug 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3843630)   #278
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Do we know if Cammish is bringing as much budget as Sheds did?

Though I think they have some Shedden sponsors on the car/helmets.
True, he must have some funds for Team Dynamics to take him on as well as talent, he describes his Rockingham meeting as "character-building". That's an understatement, his whole season's been a real test of character, really tough.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3843673)   #279
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So Autosport are running an article about JP the villain. With his blessing... he's up to something, he always has a motive when he opens his mouth. So is he after Alonso's seat? ��
considering this social media silence up to Croft, yes he is up to something, without reading the article, id imagine this is him saying "im still here, look out next year"
All coinciding with his most competitive weekend for a while, out qualifying Ash and racing well, somethings given him some mojo
Old 15 Aug 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3843729)   #280
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The thing is Plato, does nothing when his car is only good for 15th
Old 15 Aug 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3843742)   #281
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The thing is Plato, does nothing when his car is only good for 15th
He states the reasons for that on the Adrian Flux blog.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3843768)   #282
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do wonder how safe the KERS type system will be in a BTCC car.

In F1 the systems are not subjected to the bash 'n' crash of touring car racing.

The F1 marshals have to wear insulating rubber gloves and have to look at the indication on the roll hoop to see if the system is safe. The F1 drivers can also jump clear of the car in the event of the problem with the system, a touring car driver won't be able to do that.

If the BTCC car hits the bare armco barrier and the system malfunctions then the whole length of the armco could become live.

I know KERS is relevant to car manufacturers but I believe introducing it to the BTCC is solving a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3843770)   #283
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I do wonder how safe the KERS type system will be in a BTCC car.

In F1 the systems are not subjected to the bash 'n' crash of touring car racing.

The F1 marshals have to wear insulating rubber gloves and have to look at the indication on the roll hoop to see if the system is safe. The F1 drivers can also jump clear of the car in the event of the problem with the system, a touring car driver won't be able to do that.

If the BTCC car hits the bare armco barrier and the system malfunctions then the whole length of the armco could become live.

I know KERS is relevant to car manufacturers but I believe introducing it to the BTCC is solving a problem that doesn't exist.
One at a time: In F1, the stresses involved in crashes are likely to be much higher than in the BTCC due to the speeds involved. The cars themselves are designed to destroy themselves in order to remove as much energy as possible from the survival cell, ultimately the rear end of the car (PU included) can separate from the tub. The connectors for fluids and electrics are designed to safe/dry break.

In prototype racing, where KERS is also used, the drivers have similar challenges with exiting the tub but they manage it safely.

If a car was to contact an armco barrier, which is buried in the earth, with an HV cable from the KERS system then there's a direct path to ground for the energy from the batteries. More than likely they'd discharge so fast that their fuses would burn out, leaving nothing live.

Mr Gow has already stated that they're not solving a problem at all; they're making the cars more relevant to both the manufacturers and the road-going public, and that it'll be used as a "push-to-pass" system.

So far as I can tell from the news articles, it's going to be a small pre-pack system which regenerates from and is likely to drive the non-driven wheels as a boost to the existing drivetrain. I think it'll be fun, personally.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3843773)   #284
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I personally don't want to see a push to pass system.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3843775)   #285
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Me neither. Unnecessary.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 13:39 (Ref:3843778)   #286
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Me neither. Unnecessary.
Not from a commercial standpoint. Just putting a battery and motor on there to boost all the time wouldn't be visible enough to the audience.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3843787)   #287
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The cars already have batteries... they power the starter motor. Thats "hybrid" enough.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3843799)   #288
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Giving the series some proper hybridisation, and making it a visible part of the story with push to pass, might interest some manufacturer involvement.

It may also save the series in the long run; kids today are having it drummed into them that petrol and diesel are nasty things and that electric is nice and fluffy. Ultimately today's kids will be the punters watching motorsport - or maybe not watching if they think it's dirty and uncool.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3843804)   #289
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
<insert_driver_name_here> already has one, especially at <insert_any_corner_of_any_circuit_here>
Old 15 Aug 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3843817)   #290
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'll second that. While I can see that motorsport has to at least appear to be trying to be green, it just fills me with dread.

I think it'll massively spoil the quality of the racing adding a KERS style system to the cars. It was added to F1 to increase overtaking initially, BTCC really doesn't need to resort to that. I just don't want to see the art of overtaking lost because people are just blasting past other drivers on the straight.

I do accept it's a difficult balancing act trying to introduce stuff like this. There are so many things to take in to consideration, I don't envy the people making these decisions.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 15:55 (Ref:3843818)   #291
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
So far as I can tell from the news articles, it's going to be a small pre-pack system which regenerates from and is likely to drive the non-driven wheels as a boost to the existing drivetrain. I think it'll be fun, personally.
This would be easy on the front wheel drive cars where you can bing it in the rear subframe and stick a driveshaft out of each side but not so much on the rear wheel drive as the engine would be in the way.

I’d have thought it would be between the engine and gearbox, like Honda’s IMA setup.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3843824)   #292
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
from what I understand persons cannot have a TBL but teams
I believe people can have TBLs, not just teams.
Indeed I can think of at least one person, and maybe a second, who does have a TBL.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3843837)   #293
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I believe people can have TBLs, not just teams.
Indeed I can think of at least one person, and maybe a second, who does have a TBL.
James Cole is an owner, its only operated by his current team.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3843840)   #294
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
The btcc.net article detailing the 2017 allocation explicitly states that Matt Simpson earned a TBL as part of his deal to have his car ran by Dynamics.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3843859)   #295
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
nonsense. James Cole has never owned a TBL!
Old 15 Aug 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3843891)   #296
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry there is no way James Cole has a TBL of his own being operated by Motorbase, he took the seat Mat Jackson had from Motorbase's existing allocation of TBLs
Old 15 Aug 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3843894)   #297
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Sorry there is no way James Cole has a TBL of his own being operated by Motorbase, he took the seat Mat Jackson had from Motorbase's existing allocation of TBLs
Motorbase had two TBLs. It has three drivers. Someone brought a TBL with him.

BMR has two drivers, and now one TBL (having handed one back when Price went).
Old 15 Aug 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3843896)   #298
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:

Tordoff bought his own TBL
Motorbase were "offically" running Chilton and Jackson when he joined in a 3rd car.
Those 3 were the official Motorbase line up for about a week before Jackson departed. They wouldnt have announced 3 drivers unless they were covered by 3 TBL's
Jackson didnt own a TBL or he would have easily got on the grid this year, James Cole took the existing spot he left
Old 15 Aug 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3843900)   #299
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

BMR had 3, now 2. https://www.touringcars.net/2018/07/team-bmr-sell-tbl-as-josh-price-departs-the-btcc
Old 15 Aug 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3843914)   #300
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:

nobody brought a TBL with them.
BMR had 4 TBLs.
motorbase own two TBLs. their third one is on loan from BMR
BMR sold their other one to power maxed racing who gave their loan TBL back to Toca

all of this has been reported in the media