Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 May 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3906328)   #1
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should HF1 allow drivers not able to lap at a competitive pace?

I wonder who would win a race between Judy Lyons in her F1 Surtees, and the Trabant?
Old 27 May 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3906333)   #2
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid that the lady's presence at these meetings is a source of continuing embarrassment for all not to mention an insult to the spectators and a downright dangerous mobile chicane. I regret to say that I have watched this pitiful spectacle many times at this meeting. For all that's holy, why? I hasten to add that I have no intention of insulting the lady but in the interests of decency it should not be allowed to continue.
Old 27 May 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3906338)   #3
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
For all that's holy, why?

Possibly because the promoters are aware that there is a possibility that the Lyons' family may be disinclined to bring all their very exotic, as well as highly expensive to maintain and run, prized possessions to these meetings?

And might that not lead to the loss of possibly one of the best drivers in historic cars?
Old 27 May 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3906349)   #4
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm afraid that the lady's presence at these meetings is a source of continuing embarrassment for all not to mention an insult to the spectators and a downright dangerous mobile chicane. I regret to say that I have watched this pitiful spectacle many times at this meeting. For all that's holy, why? I hasten to add that I have no intention of insulting the lady but in the interests of decency it should not be allowed to continue.
She was slower than the entire Pre 66 Touring grid.

The Trabant were about 30 s Slower.Only...
Old 27 May 2019, 15:50 (Ref:3906350)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Possibly because the promoters are aware that there is a possibility that the Lyons' family may be disinclined to bring all their very exotic, as well as highly expensive to maintain and run, prized possessions to these meetings?
And might that not lead to the loss of possibly one of the best drivers in historic cars?
That.
Old 27 May 2019, 16:15 (Ref:3906354)   #6
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn’t they convince her to drive in something slower where the closing speeds aren’t so ridiculously high?
Old 27 May 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3906365)   #7
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

It's my ball and your not playing with it. It would take a brave man
Old 27 May 2019, 17:38 (Ref:3906366)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
Couldn’t they convince her to drive in something slower where the closing speeds aren’t so ridiculously high?
Not sure who ‘They’ are, Stuart? If it’s family, then maybe Mum rules!

BTW, I understand your (and others) point, but in most historic racing driver grading doesn’t exist, and if you’re able to stump up the entry fee plus have an eligible car, then most organisers will take your money.....
Old 27 May 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3906368)   #9
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW, I understand your (and others) point, but in most historic racing driver grading doesn’t exist, and if you’re able to stump up the entry fee plus have an eligible car, then most organisers will take your money.....[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't they?

Organising Race Meetings is very expensive and so in my opinion 'the more the merrier' no different to the speed differences in last years Classic & Modern meeting @ Mallory. What would you prefer a 1 make series where all the cars are within a second or two of each other?

Would you throw the Williams out of F1 because of it's speed?
Old 27 May 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3906369)   #10
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
BTW, I understand your (and others) point, but in most historic racing driver grading doesn’t exist, and if you’re able to stump up the entry fee plus have an eligible car, then most organisers will take your money.....

Would you throw the Williams out of F1 because of it's speed?[/QUOTE]

Hardly, they have a pedigree and potential
Old 27 May 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3906370)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say this conversation has been going on for many years now and indeed MiniMM and I had it on Sunday. We came to the conclusion that this is amateur racing with very good drivers, they've all coped so far and know the situation going forwards.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 27 May 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3906372)   #12
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardly, they have a pedigree and potential[/QUOTE]

Potential?

fiver says they don't score a point all season
Old 27 May 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3906379)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I have to say this conversation has been going on for many years now and indeed MiniMM and I had it on Sunday. We came to the conclusion that this is amateur racing with very good drivers, they've all coped so far and know the situation going forwards.
Yes it has, yes it is, and yes they have. Don't think we really need to debate at length again....
Old 27 May 2019, 22:09 (Ref:3906402)   #14
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

On Saturday and Sunday there were 2 F1 races of 25 mins.
On Saturday and Sunday there were 2 F1 demos of 20 mins, which had just 2 cars, until 1 broke down!
Surely a sensible solution when everybody wins is to run the Surtees in the demos.
Ok you loose 5 minutes running time, but you don't have to stump up an entry fee!
Everyone should be safe and everyone should be happy.
Or maybe thats just too simple?
Old 27 May 2019, 22:13 (Ref:3906403)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol, I love the old debate about her.

It is an FIA series, the fact she is anywhere near it is pathetic.

It is things like this, the old boys club and crap like that that put me right off historic racing.

I feel for the people who have to work on the car, the other drivers and everyone involved with the series, she is a complete and utter joke and should be banned from competing right away.

I don't give a toss if they take their cars with them, the series is better off without a joker being played every time they race, the woman has no respect for herself, other drivers, or the series she goes to the shops in.
Old 28 May 2019, 08:22 (Ref:3906463)   #16
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.facebook.com/#

Before this thread gets completely out of hand, may I ask how many posters here on this topic have had any experience of driving a Historic F1 car ? A few I know here have some experience of historic racing cars in general.

I have not driven Historic F1, and I am keeping schtum about slow driving until I have. Sure, everyone loves to see a hotshoe in their favourite car, but speaking as one of the slower drivers on a historic grid, over 30+ years of racing historics, I have seen some very slow drivers, some novices and some scared of their cars, and providing you clock who they are and where they are, then a grid can accommodate them.

Until the MSA introduces a grid lap-time qualifying rule (pole +15% or whatever) then we should not grizzle. Some of the comments in previous posts are OTT. Here endeth pompous bit.

Nick
Old 28 May 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3906467)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Lol, I love the old debate about her.

It is an FIA series, the fact she is anywhere near it is pathetic.

It is things like this, the old boys club and crap like that that put me right off historic racing.
Maybe it might be worth looking at the FIA's description of a series, before passing comment on someone's entitlement to drive in the series.

'THIS CHAMPIONSHIP CELEBRATES FORMULA ONE HISTORY FROM 1966 TO 1985'
'an emotive category in which cars must run in their period livery, delivering a superb spectacle of sight and sound'
'Key to Masters' ethos is to provide as much track time as possible for drivers'
'Masters prides itself on customer service and value for money - just look at the events we deliver, our entry fee per minute and how much track time you get. Off-track, the Masters Drivers’ Club looks after you and your family and makes a Masters event more than just motor racing. We combine the circuits you want to go to with a fun social weekend for you and your Team.'

All of this should give a good indication that the focus of the event is on the drivers and enjoyment of their cars - not delivering a closely contested result for the spectators (not wanting to detract from the level of effort from competitors here). So if the event organisers are happy for her to take part, then all should be happy?
Old 28 May 2019, 09:40 (Ref:3906471)   #18
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regardless of whether Judi Lyons drives quickly or not, I would far rather that the family allows it's collection of wonderful machinery to be seen on track in public than some other collectors who hide away their horde of historic cars in vast warehouses, and which never see the light of day again.

Sometimes owners like Mrs Lyons can never win the discussion. But, take for example Bernie Ecclestone who possibly owns the largest collection of historic F1 cars. Until a couple of years ago, he was, rightly in my mind, criticised for not permitting his cars to be seen in public. Thankfully, he had a change of heart fairly recently, and a few of his cars have been on track at some of the meetings.

But as I said a couple of days ago, we should be thanking people like the Lyons family for spending pretty large amounts of money to let these superb machines come out and play. And whilst Judi may languish at the back end of the race, her son Michael is one of the most exciting drivers of historics.

Thank you, the Lyons family and so many others (including a number of tenthers and some moderators here) who are kind enough to share their beautiful cars with us.
Old 28 May 2019, 09:45 (Ref:3906472)   #19
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a spectator, i don't really mind her just cruising round at the back, in fact I'm almost a bit jealous as she is doing sumthing i never will be able to do!! As long as the other teams / drivers / owners are ok with her being there then no problem. Of coarse it would be great to see a young hot shoe driver in the car throwing it around and power sliding like how it can be run but until that happens, no probs from me.
Old 28 May 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3906480)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like to see old cars driven properly, this happens rarely in top level historic events for the whole field. It does happen, but I have often been disappointed in various displays I have seen, not all again, but in comparison with other motorsport, there is a tendency in historics to allow very slow driver to be out there, something I cannot stand for my sins.

Yes I know and understand why.

That car is being driven around like a shopping car. It adds NOTHING, it is only there because the family are heavily involved and for some reason they or she either demand she races or she somehow thinks it is worthwhile doing it.

As others have said, fair enough allow it to be driven in demo's etc, but not in a race.

it demeans the whole series, makes it look like a mockery. This is an FIA championship for goodness sake.

But as is usually the case, people like me get shot down because we should all be delighted these cars are still able to be driven and we get to fawn over them like little school boys.

Have a word people, you are PAYING to get in for this, these are insanely rich people with money to burn, so much so a perfectly decent F1 car is driven around like this and we are all supposed to clap and be thankful.

And people wonder why fans turn their noses up at this sort of series.
Old 28 May 2019, 10:33 (Ref:3906483)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
As I said many posts ago, this subject has been debated to death before. I’ll move all posts not related to the actual Masters event to a separate thread, where those with extremely strong opinions can voice voice them ad-nauseam, and others not interested can ignore them......
Old 28 May 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3906485)   #22
LDM
Rookie

England
SE London / NE Kent
LDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It adds NOTHING
Not sure I would agree totally, it is there to see and hear which is something, ok it did not add to the racing but I dont think it detracted either.

Could understand maybe if the grid was oversubscibed but if not ...

The Colmore YTCC had quite a spread and I really enjoyed that too.
Old 28 May 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3906486)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Have a word people, you are PAYING to get in for this, these are insanely rich people with money to burn, so much so a perfectly decent F1 car is driven around like this and we are all supposed to clap and be thankful.
Well - the choice is either see them being driven like that or not seeing them at all. Would I rather see them driven hard? Yes, of course. But I'd much rather people brought these things out and used them than hide them away where they're never seen.
Old 28 May 2019, 10:44 (Ref:3906489)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Before this thread gets completely out of hand, may I ask how many posters here on this topic have had any experience of driving a Historic F1 car ? A few I know here have some experience of historic racing cars in general.

Until the MSA introduces a grid lap-time qualifying rule (pole +15% or whatever) then we should not grizzle. Some of the comments in previous posts are OTT. Here endeth pompous bit.

Nick
Agree with that second paragraph. This morning I asked an HF1 team boss what he/they thought about the subject. The answer was same.....
Old 28 May 2019, 11:11 (Ref:3906492)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This is an FIA championship for goodness sake.
Interesting that focus is being made on this being an FIA championship.

The FIA make a clear distinction in their categories between 'current' championships and historic. Compare the description they give to their events.

F1 - 'aims to place the world’s foremost single-seat racing series at the cutting edge of automotive technology development'

HF1 - 'Here, [the cars] are in their element. In front of the crowd, their excitement is palpable as they sense the wonder they inspire in generations both old and new. Naturally and unassumingly charming, they represent a celebration of variety'

I am struggling to see the connection between a championship being governed by the FIA, and the need for a certain selection criteria for drivers to enter a series.

What about it being an FIA championship do you feel makes Judi Lyons ineligible to take part? The only possible criteria I can find comes from the reason the FIA was formed - 'to bring coherent governance and safety to motor sport'.

Does Judi Lyons prevent the FIA from achieving this aim? - only if you feel she is dangerous. I am not qualified to make that judgement, so will leave that to the individuals who manage the meetings, and the respective Clerks of the Course.

'the FIA [...] not only promotes motor sport [...] As the governing body of motor sport, the FIA ensures that fair, capably regulated and above all safe events are conducted [...] the FIA’s passion for motor sport and its dedication to ensuring fair play and safety for all competitors are undiminished. [...] raw emotion must be backed up by calm control and it’s here that the FIA operates, regulating and adjudicating at hundreds of events in a huge variety of series each year. From providing regulatory expertise and an impartial sporting judicial system to the federation’s recent embrace of the World Anti-Doping Agency code to combat the use of drugs in sport, the FIA is the world arbiter for motor sport. [...]'

If Judi Lyons (or any driver) can be seen to be preventing the FIA from achieving its goals, then I would agree that they should be excluded from an event - but until then, I struggle to see how a case can be made effectively for exclusion, based on simply stating the organisation that sanctions the event.......