Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Aug 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3115790)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Haha! Tricky corner, not much grip either...

Which indiscretion did you see- the complete spin, the 4 wheels off, or for something different the spin on second element of complex. Then I get called a woose for not attacking Clervaux / turn 1.

Sorry not to have known it was you snapping. Are you returning? Two dry days so far, load of tenthers here and looks like rest of weekend is going to be a lot of fun.

Old 4 Aug 2012, 06:30 (Ref:3115866)   #52
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Falcon doesn't run properly I am going to be using the Rolls Royce Griffon engine on a trailer or the tank. I think half the American army are here...it's ace.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 07:42 (Ref:3115875)   #53
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Mussolini and his missus there this year?
Old 4 Aug 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3115876)   #54
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Haha! Tricky corner, not much grip either...

Which indiscretion did you see- the complete spin, the 4 wheels off, or for something different the spin on second element of complex. Then I get called a woose for not attacking Clervaux / turn 1.

Sorry not to have known it was you snapping. Are you returning? Two dry days so far, load of tenthers here and looks like rest of weekend is going to be a lot of fun.

It was the complete spin - or was it just a close inspection of the inside of the hairpin?
I won't be there for the weekend as I'm back home now. Good luck in your races.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3116096)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Shock horror, big cloud, thunder and lightning on horizon! All we have had so ar is a few drops, but are prepared.......

The Guards race was superb, and after the problems at Brands with curfew we were relieved when Graham White announced in collecting area that race would run for full 40 minutes! Had my doubts about how Morgan would cope with the circuit but it was brillliant fun. If tomorrow in Delta goes as well will be well happy!

Whole event is fantastic so far with loads of interested spectators. Loving it

Oh, it's raining now....
Old 6 Aug 2012, 06:24 (Ref:3116531)   #56
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I would imagine there are a lot of tired tenthers this morning after a great weekend at Croft. The journey home 'only' took me 5 1/2 hours including obligatory rest to keep Mr VOSA man happy, but imagine many would be home a lot later than midnight! But the journey was worth every mile for the great track, lovely setting and so many smiling friendly faces. Definitely a must do for anyone not quite decided yet! Even the weather gods managed to keep the heavy rain away, just a bit damp for later races yesterday.

For me that was immaterial as after qualifying in FF2000 13th out of 17, the 1st race finished prematurely after about 10 minutes after my l/h rear bottom wishbone mount broke mid corner resulting in a very unexpected spin- the car finishing up still in middle of track but with rear wheel at rather jaunty angle..... I managed to crawl onto the grass but by then red flags were out as I was in a very vulnerable position. As if the embarrassment of being responsible for a red flag wasn't enough, I was excluded from results for being the cause of it! (Aparrantly that's how it works...)

So lots of work to do before Gold Cup. The mount has broken away from gearbox casing so that will have to be repaired or replaced. To echo the words of an experienced FF2000 man, 'welcome to the world of historic single seaters....'

Still, fantastic fun race in Guards with the Morgan, which despite my concerns beforehand suited the track perfectly. Thanks to all the lovely friendly marshals, rescue crews and all, Plus of course HSCC for organising the racing! Hopefully I will be back!

Old 6 Aug 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3116542)   #57
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My journey home was a bit shorter than Mike's taking just 15 minutes . A really enjoyable weekend and it was good to meet some fellow 10-Tenthers. A big thank you to all competitors, officials etc for making the trip 'up north' (or 'down south' for some) and to the HSCC for continuing to hold this event at Croft.

Largely very good weather and lots of good racing throughout the weekend right up to and including the final event the 500cc F3 which including a very close three-way fight for second place.

Hope it all happens again next year! Thanks again for all the support for Croft (much appreciated locally).

Gary
Old 6 Aug 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3116552)   #58
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My second race ended very prematurely when I was punted pretty hard from behind by a green car. The impact shoved the right rear wing in so far it severed the loom and cut power to the fuel pump so it was game over. Really annoying given the weather had turned so bad and and the track was very slippery and it was only lap 2! Luckily not doing Oulton and may well now not do Spa as it's quite a lot of work. On a worse note, Warren Briggs' Mustang looked well and truly bashed all round with, I think, panel damage to every panel except the bonnet.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 16:13 (Ref:3116718)   #59
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went along yesterday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was pleased to see how much the event appears to have grown since the first one two years ago. The rain pretty much held off other than the odd shower and some of the racing was excellent, particularly the Formula Ford race.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3116750)   #60
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWolfe View Post
My second race ended very prematurely when I was punted pretty hard from behind by a green car. The impact shoved the right rear wing in so far it severed the loom and cut power to the fuel pump so it was game over. Really annoying given the weather had turned so bad and and the track was very slippery and it was only lap 2! Luckily not doing Oulton and may well now not do Spa as it's quite a lot of work. On a worse note, Warren Briggs' Mustang looked well and truly bashed all round with, I think, panel damage to every panel except the bonnet.
Jon,

That's really bad luck.

Do you know if the other car continued?

I have some shots of you on the inside grass in the Sunny section but nothing that shows the damage. Did the other car continue? I think I got most of the runners but few show any sign of recent damage other than the other Falcon. (Not sure if that was new or a legacy of the first race.)

However I don't have all angles and I haven't checked the official results so I could be wrong about the claim to have most cars in a shot somewhere.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 17:55 (Ref:3116756)   #61
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
jhh911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a superb job by all involved to make the third nostalgia meet such a great weekend and at last we had almost good weather by Croft standards.Its not grim up North its GREAT.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3116789)   #62
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep and thank goodness you did not grow that orrible moustach again
Old 7 Aug 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3117177)   #63
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a wonderful time watching Ashley-Brown bring the Volpini home in one piece on two occasions. Many thanks to Iain for his hospitality and company. He is a brilliant Englishman.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3117318)   #64
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really enjoyed my visit on Sunday, excellent racing, large number of vehicles to look at in the display areas, and great to chat to 10/10ths members. A few pictures (of variable quality) are attached.
Highlight was the saloon race, although sad to see damage to several cars, especially the previously immaculate Mustang (#6) of Warren Briggs - he was very helpful by showing the car and explaining its' build to one of my group who has just started work on a race Mustang.
Attached Thumbnails
pit1.jpg   pit2.jpg   pit3.jpg  

pit4.jpg   pit5.jpg   pit6.jpg  

Old 7 Aug 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3117321)   #65
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

70's Road sports:
Attached Thumbnails
70s 1.jpg   70s 2.jpg   70s 3.jpg  

70s 4.jpg   70s 5.jpg   70s 6.jpg  

Old 7 Aug 2012, 22:39 (Ref:3117323)   #66
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Historic Road Sports:
Attached Thumbnails
his1.jpg   his2.jpg   his3.jpg  

his4.jpg   his5.jpg   his6.jpg  

Old 7 Aug 2012, 22:48 (Ref:3117328)   #67
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Saloons:
Attached Thumbnails
hrsr1.jpg   hrsr2.jpg   hrsr3.jpg  

hrsr4.jpg   hrsr5.jpg   hrsr6.jpg  

Old 8 Aug 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3117648)   #68
jonnytuna
Rookie

jonnytuna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite going crop harvesting at the second Jim Clark esses I really enjoyed it - tyres too high and very twitchy. Would love a go on the dry! (or flatter tyres!). Amazing event. A must attend one for 2013
Old 14 Aug 2012, 01:04 (Ref:3119574)   #69
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A quick note that I have added a number of photos (a large number) to my web site and they can be found here.

There are a few odds and ends still to add but most of the motorsport related stuff is already there, grouped by race but NOT split into qualifying/race1/race2 etc. Indeed some of the images may be in a strange order depending on file naming consistency (or lack of it.)

Hope you enjoy.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 06:31 (Ref:3119646)   #70
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
A quick note that I have added a number of photos (a large number) to my web site and they can be found here.

There are a few odds and ends still to add but most of the motorsport related stuff is already there, grouped by race but NOT split into qualifying/race1/race2 etc. Indeed some of the images may be in a strange order depending on file naming consistency (or lack of it.)

Hope you enjoy.
Some fantastic shots there Grant. Well done and thanks for sharing with us!

Old 14 Aug 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3119842)   #71
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brilliant, Thanks Grant.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3119850)   #72
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWolfe View Post
Sorry to hear about the damage to Jon & Warren's cars, I'm getting slightly concerned that driving standards seem to be slipping. After what happened at Snetterton including me being punted off in a seperate incident it's all looking a bit mad at the moment in the HTC.
Just so you know Jon, I think I may have found the misfire you tried to help me out with at Brands, looks like a valve spring may have gone.
My season hasn't gone that well this yr & I'm going to give Oulton Pk a miss as well. That only leaves Brands again & Silverstone.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3119859)   #73
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Thanks Mike and Compte.

Just in case anyone finds the quantity rather overpowering the highlights that may have general appeal (apart for a certain red Clan making a day of it) are the last few shots of the HTC collection with the Imp that got a round of applause from spectators and marshals alike;

the sequence at the end of the second HFF race where things went rather wrong for the leader with 5 corners to go ;

and somewhere about half way through the pics in the 70s Roadsports, just after the new series Flagpole shots, when the E-Type completly disappears into the corn field and reappears just as the marshals head off to try to find it.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3120330)   #74
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grant - great photos! I struggled in race 1 to get past Vicky Brooks in Roadsports - she drove really well. And then when I did she came back at me and I put myself in the gravel.

Race 2 start was good, probably best I've done ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRCYgWS3EU0&feature=plcp ) .

Finish was surprising (into the gravel again) and I still don't understand it after reviewing the video.

Thanks again for the pics.

Paul (HRS #1)
Old 15 Aug 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3120346)   #75
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvalveelan View Post
Grant - great photos! I struggled in race 1 to get past Vicky Brooks in Roadsports - she drove really well. And then when I did she came back at me and I put myself in the gravel.

Race 2 start was good, probably best I've done ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRCYgWS3EU0&feature=plcp ) .

Finish was surprising (into the gravel again) and I still don't understand it after reviewing the video.

Thanks again for the pics.

Paul (HRS #1)
Hi Paul,

I have to say I was a little puzzled in both races.

Had no idea who was driving the Brooks Elan but it was certainly going well in race one. The pass was a classic move and I though you were good for 3rd, the 2 in front having opened a gap. And then you were gone.

Race two seemed to go the same sort of way. I guess the best one can say is that it was just not to be your weekend. Most unusual in recent seasons.

Grant