Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Jan 2016, 22:39 (Ref:3604546)   #26
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
Officially, Ford put no money in. They may support M-Sport in other ways - but even when they were in the WRC, they didn't back M-Sport in a big way.
Those Ford Ecoboost logos are huge. There;s no way that Malcom Wilson puts them for free.

I don't like the black tail. It should be blue, perhaps in different shades, and with some white shapes.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 17:28 (Ref:3604786)   #27
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had been wondering why Ford allowed the large M-Sport logos on the car, as I had thought it to be a full factory effort. The above certainly goes a long way to explain that. It's always baffling when a huge corporation chooses to skimp on funds or commitment for something like this when it's the proverbial drop in the bucket compared to all the other advertising and sponsorships.

That said, I quite like the new livery.

Making some of the events mixed gravel / tarmac would throw some extra variables into the championship in general I would imagine...Tire choice, chassis set up and driver talents would maybe allow a little more ebb and flow through the event and perhaps the championship. Never a bad thing...
Old 20 Jan 2016, 10:28 (Ref:3606520)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The TV coverage details have been released:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/janua...9--12-12-.html

The UK gets WRC back on free to air (channel 5) as well as BT and S4C.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 10:28 (Ref:3606521)   #29
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
peetleouf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's beginning today !!!
only shakedown but still !!!
Old 20 Jan 2016, 11:18 (Ref:3606530)   #30
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

Nice to see free-to-air coverage for the WRC again this year, fingers crossed the Channel 5 program will be half decent.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 11:54 (Ref:3606542)   #31
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will be the WRC feed that everyone gets, same commentary etc.

It gets pushed around from year to year as noone watches it and never have since Colin and Richard.

Someone for some reason always wants to buy it, so their sales team are doing a good job as frankly it is rot! Or very cheap!
Old 20 Jan 2016, 18:08 (Ref:3606634)   #32
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Am I missing something? ITV4 is FTA as far as I know. Have they dropped it? Again. Or did Ch5 really pay more for the rights?

It doesn't matter who shows it, the coverage still needs a kick up the backside; lazy, formulaic, and has been for 10+ years. The sport can be spectacular - TV fails to convey it.
Must try harder!!!
Old 20 Jan 2016, 21:32 (Ref:3606706)   #33
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
Am I missing something? ITV4 is FTA as far as I know. Have they dropped it? Again. Or did Ch5 really pay more for the rights?

It doesn't matter who shows it, the coverage still needs a kick up the backside; lazy, formulaic, and has been for 10+ years. The sport can be spectacular - TV fails to convey it.
Must try harder!!!
Was it on ITV4 last year? Possibly (didn't see it on there but could have been there!).

Agreed on the state of the coverage - somehow it sucks the life out of it doesn't it?
Old 21 Jan 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3606847)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So it's on Channel 5 this year. Explains why I didn't see any listing for it on ITV4. Ah well, good to see it stays on terrestrial
Old 22 Jan 2016, 11:14 (Ref:3607079)   #35
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Well we're underway - so far Meeke and Ogier seem to be quite well matched which should at least keep it interesting. Looks like Kubica has binned it already though - is that the last we'll see of Kubica in the WRC?
Old 22 Jan 2016, 11:29 (Ref:3607081)   #36
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well we're underway - so far Meeke and Ogier seem to be quite well matched which should at least keep it interesting. Looks like Kubica has binned it already though - is that the last we'll see of Kubica in the WRC?
Hoping Meeke will hold it together to end!

Kubica is on the starting list for Sweden at least. But if he competes in Sweden I doubt he will finish, he rarely does unfortunately ...
Old 22 Jan 2016, 11:41 (Ref:3607082)   #37
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Kubica is on the starting list for Sweden at least. But if he competes in Sweden I doubt he will finish, he rarely does unfortunately ...
He is spectacular, it's just a shame he doesn't seem to know when to back off! (Having said that, his Monte crash wasn't exactly high speed)

Fully agree with the Meeke comments: hope he can maintain his early pace.
Old 23 Jan 2016, 12:09 (Ref:3607294)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Ogier has stretched his advantage at the front but Meeke is still in touch. Sordo has clouted something this morning and damaged his suspension but still seems to be running. Evans has a minutes lead in WRC2.
Old 23 Jan 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3607334)   #39
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Meeke and Latvala out By the sound of it Meeke hit something that was in the road and it tore off the sump guard and has also damaged the gearbox. Must have been a big hit! Latvala went off the road and broke something - got it fixed but was too late for the next stage so is out. Cruise and collect for Ogier now....
Old 23 Jan 2016, 16:57 (Ref:3607344)   #40
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looked like a nicely placed rock for Meeke...right in the middle of the road
Old 23 Jan 2016, 17:09 (Ref:3607353)   #41
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Looked like a nicely placed rock for Meeke...right in the middle of the road
That sort of thing seems to happen a lot on the Monte - rocks that appear out of nowhere, piles of snow that appear just before a particular car arrives etc etc You'd have thought being in a Citroen he might have been safe from that sort of thing.
Old 23 Jan 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3607415)   #42
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Meeke and Latvala out By the sound of it Meeke hit something that was in the road and it tore off the sump guard and has also damaged the gearbox. Must have been a big hit! Latvala went off the road and broke something - got it fixed but was too late for the next stage so is out. Cruise and collect for Ogier now....
Meeke incident:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3o...tege-carter_tv

Latvala incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeIb89cydrA
Old 26 Jan 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3608103)   #43
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That sort of thing seems to happen a lot on the Monte - rocks that appear out of nowhere, piles of snow that appear just before a particular car arrives etc etc You'd have thought being in a Citroen he might have been safe from that sort of thing.
Plenty of Italians still go to the stages to watch the Monte... and they have long memories.

Good to see the WRC on prime time terrestrial TV again. I just wish the production team would have presenters on camera rather than just robotic voice-over commentary.

A pity the BBC news didn't notice it was happening, despite there being a British driver leading.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3608109)   #44
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Good to see the WRC on prime time terrestrial TV again. I just wish the production team would have presenters on camera rather than just robotic voice-over commentary.
Have to say I disagree with you there: I'd rather we see as much footage of the cars in action as possible then look at a presenter stood beside a stage (or sitting in a studio!).

I watched the Channel 5 program last night. Very similar in format to the ITV4 show which is fine by me. I did notice that the footage of Latvala's off piste excursion which eventually led to the collision with a spectator was included, but the clip was cut short before the impact (and the impact wasn't mentioned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
A pity the BBC news didn't notice it was happening, despite there being a British driver leading.
His retirement did at least get a brief mention on the BBC website...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/35380519

...a strong start for Meeke though. I hope he can continue to challenge Ogier at other rounds this year. Speaking of Ogier, I saw this being shared by multiple outlets on Facebook...

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Irish Rallying Facebook
Sébastien Ogier trying to help Kris Meeke once he hit trouble

A pure touch of class by Ogier and shows just how good of sportsman he is! Ogier commented

"Kris deserved better, it would have been nice to carry on until the end. It's a shame. Now it’s a different race, I have to go to the end"

...I would like to clarify the context of the picture, but if he was truly looking under the car in order to try and assist Meeke then my opinion of Ogier has been elevated massively.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3608148)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Then again with three titles under him he can afford to be generous. Still great sportsmanship there, massive respect
Old 26 Jan 2016, 18:08 (Ref:3608205)   #46
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Then again with three titles under him he can afford to be generous. Still great sportsmanship there, massive respect
Always good to see this sort of thing... I would think with the relatively small size of the paddock and the international 'traveling circus' aspects of a series like the WRC that the drivers, crews and teams are fairly friendly amongst themselves and off track.

That said I was super disappointed when Meeke retired as I was really hoping he could keep the pressure all the way until the end. That rock was rather suspiciously placed, but one report I read called it an "embeded" rock. maybe inferring it wasn't actively placed there, who knows.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 18:35 (Ref:3608220)   #47
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can't be that much fun for Ogier. Its like one would play a racing game and set the difficulty at the easiest level, winning all the time. In my opinion he dominates more than Loeb did and sadly don't often get challenged for the win all the way to the finish. I hope Meeke will keep challenging Ogier and make it to end and also that the new Hyundais will match them as well
Old 26 Jan 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3608223)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

I think the difference is we've got more winners in the Loeb era from 2006 at least. In the past three years we've had first time winners in Sordo, Neuville, Meeke and Mikkelsen
Old 26 Jan 2016, 18:51 (Ref:3608226)   #49
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
It can't be that much fun for Ogier. Its like one would play a racing game and set the difficulty at the easiest level, winning all the time. In my opinion he dominates more than Loeb did and sadly don't often get challenged for the win all the way to the finish. I hope Meeke will keep challenging Ogier and make it to end and also that the new Hyundais will match them as well
My thoughts precisely. Sure a driver wants to win, but fighting for it makes it a much more satisfying victory.

Any thoughts on the Latvala incident?
Old 26 Jan 2016, 20:23 (Ref:3608248)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

My thoughts is they should put more safety into where spectators stand