Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 Apr 2000, 21:29 (Ref:8276)   #1
Testa Rossa
Rookie

Testa Rossa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am looking for infos about the Examiner GP for Sports Car held by USAC at Pomona on March 8th 1959. I read that great european drivers like Trintignant, von Trips,Flockhart or Salvadori were there, along local heros Gurney, Shelby or Rathmann. Does anybody know details about the cars, entrants, results ?

Testa Rossa

Old 26 Apr 2000, 15:51 (Ref:8277)   #2
AUSTRIA
Racer

AUSTRIA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Testa Rossa, I am sorry, only to tell you, that I'm not able to help you in this matter. It is so frustrating, when getting no answers to the postet questions, but your research seems to be very specially, at least the younger one. I remember, when I postet my first question here (The Talbot-Lago topic) and nothing was coming up, Peter replied: 'Come on, guys, there somebody needs your help' .. or something like this - and then Tim approached and gave some fantastic help (Thank you once more Tim !!! )

So I shout:

Come on guys ...
Old 26 Apr 2000, 19:49 (Ref:8278)   #3
Eagle104
Rookie

Eagle104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Testa Rossa: Sorry. Can't help you with the particulars of that race. But I do know Dan Gurney once won that series championship, and it might have been '59.
Old 10 May 2000, 15:46 (Ref:8279)   #4
JSP
Rookie

JSP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this helps. A USAC/FIA-sanctioned, Los Angeles Examiner sponsored race was run at Pomona on March 8th, 1959. Ken Miles outlasted much larger-engined cars to win in a Porsche 550 (wore #50). Dan Gurney had led in the ex-Tony Parravano, Arciero-owned Sutton-bodied Ferrari 375 Plus (s/n 0478). Before the 1/2 way point, Bill Krause took over the lead in the ex-Parravano Maserati 450S (s/n 4503) but had a tire blow 2 laps from the finish.

Other DNFs included: Carroll Shelby in a Buell/Edgar entered Maserati 450S (sn/4505), Jim Rathmann in a Ferrari 410S (s/n 0598), Ron Flockhart in a Jaguar D-Type, & Trintignant, Salvadori & von Trips (driving what?).

Other entrants included: Jim Jeffords in a Scarab, Lloyd Ruby in a Chevy-engined Maserati 450S, Bob Oaker in an Aston DBR, Chuck Daigh in a Kurtis, Bruce Kessler in a Sadler, Bob Drake in a Cooper-Monaco, Max Balchowsky in 'Ol Yellar, Sammy Weiss in a Porsche RSK, & George Amick in a Chevy-engined Mercedes 300 SLR look-alike.

You'll find a few photos in Dave Friedman's Pro Sports Car Racing in America.
Old 10 May 2000, 16:28 (Ref:8280)   #5
AUSTRIA
Racer

AUSTRIA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuff, JSP! Welcome to this forum!

Can you add some results more than the winner?
Old 10 May 2000, 23:17 (Ref:8281)   #6
Testa Rossa
Rookie

Testa Rossa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you very much JSP, it is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. However, there is still some questions :

- Are you sure about Krause’s Maserati being 4503 ? I think it was 4502.

- Do you know the entrant of the Cooper Monaco ? They were very few around by 1959. Maybe was it Hap Sharp’s one ?

- And if anyone know, I would be please to learn about the cars driven by Trintignant, Salvadori and von Trips.

I have ordered Friedman’s book, it must be on the way at time of writing. Tell me, JSP, is sports car racing in the USA your favorite subject or are you equally good on other ones ?

PS : I found since my first post some more details which JSP or another reader might find interesting. Weiss in the 718 RSK was second, third being a guy called Hudson in a Ferrari. I have no details on this Ferrari, but I learnt that Jim Hall was also there in a his Lister Knobbly.

Testa Rossa
Old 11 May 2000, 16:05 (Ref:8282)   #7
JSP
Rookie

JSP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Testa Rossa, the ex-Parravano 450S was of course 4502. Now owned by Hartmut Ibing in Germany.

The Cooper, upon closer inspection, was most likely a 'Bobtail'. The Ferrari driver was Skip Hudson, who often drove for John Edgar.

I'm interested in pretty much all sports racers built between the mid '50s & early '70s. I just discovered TenTenths; I look forward to participating. I have tons of JPEGs & info if anyone is interested.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3925785)   #8
saundej
Rookie

saundej should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ho just came across this thread and its very interesting as I have one of the cars that ran in the race. Is their proof that it was FIA sanctioned?
Old 6 Sep 2019, 01:30 (Ref:3926110)   #9
saundej
Rookie

saundej should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help !!

Hi Folks need some help here.

The 1959 LA Examiner International, was I believe sanctioned by USAC, SCCA and FIA.

I need proof that it was FIA sanctioned?

Anyone got any proof or a copy of the newspaper pull out (which was the official program) pictured which would have the sanctioning list on the inside cover?
Attached Thumbnails
1959-INAUGURAL-FIRST-ANNUAL-Examiner-International-Grand-Prix.jpg